Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fathers's day (Read 3374 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Fathers's day
Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:11am

Well now, seems like on some post or another I'm always commenting on someones else's "sharing". Not a bad thing, I thrive on those. Yet I do realize I have not shared my equal measure, my fault and I do recognize that.

Sunday is Father's Day. Thought I would share some of my feelings. My Dad has been gone 32 years and two weeks today.

My Dad was born in 1905. He was 50 when I was born. That's TWO generations removed (most have only one). His philosophy was that a parent is a parent and not a friend. We never REALLY connected. Oh yeah, we could talk about sports, but that was about it. He just didn't know how to deal with a kid of the 60's. Later learned he told my Ma, "I just don't know how to relate to a kid in these times". Took a long time, but I have come to realize, that in his own way, he loved me.

One of the biggest regrets in my life is that past the age of 5, I cannot remember EVER telling HIM that I loved him ( I did, but for some reason just couldn't say it). I'm not a Father, but that has gotta hurt... What I do remember, with eternal gratitude, is that he frequently told me, "Jon, just be yourself".

Life is really complicated. We all play roles and sometimes it is easy to get caught up in what we think we ought to be. Just doesn't friggin work. "Be yourself" now that is as uncomplicated as it gets. You don't have to remember what you think others think you should be...

I'm remembering that today, and especially Sunday.

End of story?, nope. Mom remarried 10 long years later after Dad's death. We all thought it would never happen as she always told us, "your Father was the ONE true love of my life, NOTHING will change that". That she decided to remarry late in life was surprising but not unwelcome. She was a lady with exquisitely good judgement. Good enough for her...good enough for us. He became my Step-Dad.

His name was Lee. Actually, a long ago "date" from my Mom's past. He courted her after both lost their spouses. A wise man, he travelled 3000 miles to "audition" for me, my brother, and my sister. We all gave our blessing tho it was NOT required, just comfort for Ma. He proved to be very classy...

After they married, the entire family exchanged many visits, though they settled 3000 miles away. During one visit, I  called him "DAD" (from respect, admiration, and the knowledge his first marriage had been childless). It was as if he had won the lottery. I heard him tell my Mother, "did you hear what he said!!!?" He was DELIGHTED. Over the next 15 years, he repeated that story enumerable times, and I frequently heard him tell it.

I determined not to make the same mistake with him that I had with my own Father. Every visit I kissed him, every leaving I told him I loved him (I did, like I said, classy guy). Making up for past mistakes? Possibly, but not forced, he deserved it.

In 2002 I wrote for him a beautiful obituary. Damn hard, but an honor and a priviledge. Step-dad, WW II vet, teacher, counciler, town father, and on and on...

Whatever your relationship (set aside the hurts if they exist) with your Father, Step father, Two-dad, or whatever, PLEASE, tell him you love him this Sunday (and every other day you see him. It's later than you think and regrets are forever). It means more than you can ever imagine, and it costs you NOTHING...

Best,

Jon

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:04am by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Fathers's day
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:01am

Very well said, Jon.

Nice post--and a great tribute to your father and stepfather.  Thank you.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:41am

WOW!!!

What an awesome and heartfelt post!

Fortunately, my Dad is still with us, at a VERY healthy 86!

I was planning on calling him, anyway, but will make EXTRA sure I follow your words of wisdom!

Thanks!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:03am

I really enjoyed reading that. Thank you Jon  Smiley

IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 6:16am

Jon that was beautiful, very well said and very touching words of wisdom. I shall heed them- thank you

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 7:24am

That was a great tribute to both your Dad's Jon.  Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Unfortunately both my Dad and Father-in-law (who I considered a 2nd Father) are gone now.  So I can't take your advice.  But both knew I loved them and they heard it often.  No regrets here.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:49am

Beautiful Jon... and I agree with every word. Never miss a chance to say, "I love you."

My Dad died in 1983. His last words, "What was the score of the Cowboy game?"  The last thing I said to him, "You owe me 10 bucks!" He grinned and that was the one thing he loved more than anything - he loved to laugh. I knew he loved me and he knew I loved him... I have no regrets and can smile today that he had a laugh at the end.

For all those of you who still have your fathers - take the time to call, go see them, give them a hug and tell them you love them. You don't know how long you'll have them and for goodness sakes - don't have any regrets....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:50am

A beautiful tribute to your fathers Jon!  Thanks for posting that.

I will be spending Fathers Day with my Dad and I will tell him that I love him.

Beth

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:07am

Jon,

That was an absolutely beautiful tribute to your fathers, and honestly made me tear up.  I'm glad that you had not one, but two wonderful dads, and that you learned the value of saying "I love you" whenever you can.

My dad's story is kind of similar to yours - his father died when my dad was 16 years old, and I don't know that they were ever that close.  He was a very strict catholic and had lots of rules.  But I think he loved his children very much.  My grandmother remarried later to a man that my dad also called "Dad."  He was another phenomenal man, and it was a great loss when he passed in 1996.  My grandmother was widowed each time at 23 years of marriage.

I take the time to tell my father I love him whenever I talk to him and see him, and I do talk to him pretty often.  I'm going home tomorrow evening for father's day, and I'm going to remember what you wrote here when I do.

Thank you so much for sharing.  It really was wonderful to read it.

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Thanks for that, Jon. I lost my Dad 23 years ago, and I'll always be grateful that we told each other "I love you" often.

hugs, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:35pm

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing this.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:46pm

Wonderful stories kids.

My father was a quiet type but spoiled the whole family rotten. Although, the one or two things he did that did more to save what little sanity I now and then display, had no price tags. He was a stoic Swede but a great guy.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:22pm by Charlie »  

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:57pm

Jon, that was absolutely fantastic, heart-warming and inspirational.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:34pm

You bastard, Jon!  Cry

I told my Dad I loved him the last time we talked, I got a call three days later saying that he died. I was destroyed, but knowing that I told him that helped over time.

I will visit and talk with Dad tomorrow, and plant some flowers. If I ever catch the puke that stole the 90 pound cement flower mule I put on his grave, he will be resting right next to Dad!!!!!! Angry

Great tribute, Jon.....your a fine son!

IP Logged

alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus

Why didn't Noah swat those
two mosquitoes?

Cudahy, WI
Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:46pm

Never miss an opportunity to tell those you love that you love them.

This father's day is much much harder than the last one. No regrets tho - he knew how much I loved him.

Beautiful story!

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
WWW alienspacebabe alienspacebabe alienspacebabe 574982956 alienspacelizzie MzClusterhead  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Jon, that was a wonderful tribute, and I'm darned proud of you.

My dad died nearly 2 years ago, I'd told him that I loved him every time we spoke, so I have no regrets there.  I do wish I could have gained more wisdom from him as he was a wise man.

By the way dad, I still love you!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

KingOfPain
CH.com Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

North America
Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:26pm

jon019 wrote on Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:11am:
Well now, seems like on some post or another I'm always commenting on someones else's "sharing". Not a bad thing, I thrive on those. Yet I do realize I have not shared my equal measure, my fault and I do recognize that.

You should share more often, that was beautiful.
I'm sure both gentlemen are very proud of you even if they are not here to say so.

As Linda said, thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Arrived August, 1999.
We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. - Denis Diderot
Thanks for the ignore function! Wink

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 6:54am

Thank you, jon, for sharing that.  I enjoyed reading it.....a very reflective and beautifully written post.....a lovely tribute to your Fathers.

I lost my Daddy several years ago.  I will love him and miss him until the day I die.  He taught me much...was a tough task master because he wanted to make sure I could take care of myself if there was no one else to do it.  Always be true to yourself he would say....right is right and wrong is wrong....be a good person.  Have the ability to be tough as nails or gentle and when to apply each.   All simple lessons but important.

Much love,
Jackie  

IP Logged

Ree
CH.com Hall of Famer

Got Faith?

Natick, MA
Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 6:21pm

Everyone here knows that I lost my dad 3 years ago... Ironically the day after Father's Day... sure  he could have died on Father's Day I held the plug in my hand.  Because of my brother I spared him the pain of losing his father on that day and made Dad suffer another day.  It was horrendous losing my Dad.  I loved him so and he loved life. Saying good bye to my Dad was just dreadful... he knew I loved him and I have no doubt your Dad knows that too.  That was a beautiful tribute to your dad... Today I'm kinda blah... its also Dave and My anniversary... we are spending a rainy lazy day home I just ate a huge bowl of icecream (comfort food) I will go to the grave later this week.  Life is weird without my Dad in it.  
love ree
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008 at 6:23pm by Ree »  

Single Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO3 Scott,  Police OFFICER Sean, FSU Freshman~ Breezy~ Nana to Matt, Mike & Aya, MIL To Shino,
Ree dungareespocket 1017695884 64720087 Reespirit Ree16Angel  
IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 9:58pm

Lovely Jon  Smiley  Thank you for sharing that.

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Montgomery Village, MD, USA
Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:45pm

Great story, Jon and good for you to realize the value of some simple words.
I was lucky enough to "talk" to my dad before he died. He was a bastard, so many times, to us kids but I told him I forgave him and asked him if he gets another chance in another life to remember this and do better.
I do not have any children; been married 22+ years. BUT, I hug my 3 nephews and 3 nieces EVERYTIME I see them. I tell them I love them and will miss them. They all know thier Uncle Tom is not PC about anything but he loves them more than stars gather in the night sky.
TomM

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing." --Thoreau--
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!