Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emergency room (Read 16070 times)
Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Emergency room
Jun 15th, 2008 at 2:42pm

How do you know when to go to the emergency room? Today was the worst day yet and I was literally screaming for about 30 to 45 minutes and my boyfriend was downstairs ignoring me and I did not know when or if I could call an ambulance. I wasnt thinking clearly of course because I was at a level 10. I also asked him for an energy drink and he came home with an alcoholic beverage and told me to drink it and I was not able to read it because of the pain and turns out it was 6% alcohol. Then he made dinner and it was smoked meat and I am not supposed to eat smoked or preserved foods because it sets off the migraine that I have too. OMG I am so angry with him and really when do you know to call the ambulance? My O2 didnt help and I cant talk now because I was screaming at the top of my lungs for so long. He told me I was screaming that long. To me it felt like hours.  Please answer. Sophia Cry

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Emergency room
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 2:56pm

First off, none of this is your boyfriend's responsibility. If he chooses to assist you, great. But you need to see to it that you have the right abortives, food, etc. in the house.

Second, if you find that none of the abortives you have are working, then I'd say it's time to go to the emergency room. If your boyfriend won't take you, and you are too far into it to drive yourself, then call an ambulance.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 3:03pm

Agree with Brew's response. But I also read my response to your first post in the new folks section and I don't understand why the doc has put you on a 60-day drug free period. This is not something required by the nature of cluster and I wonder if they are some other medical considerations which you have not mentioned.

In any case, I see your only useful option is to inform the doc of your condition and press him for more active treatment now. If you go to the ER, print out the second article and take it with you. I assume that the ER staff there will be no better informed/trained than they are in the U.S. and so would not treat you effectively.

HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.

Download free full text:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 3:18pm

In my first few tears with CH I admit I went to the emergency room a few times. Each time I ended up a short while after arrival without pain and a clear head wondering what I was doing there.

Dont know how long you have had diagnosed CH but the reality is by the time an ER doc sees you the hit will have abated.

Like said above get your doc to be more assertive. Oxygen works very well for a lot of people but not all.

More often than not we all have to deal through the hits and doing your best to remain calm is by far the best treatment when none other is available.

Very strong black coffee at the ready can help and repetitive excersizes (for me) in lessening the time frame and gives a good distraction if nothing else.

Its been over 30 years since I went to the ER for CH.

MJ

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Sophia, I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a rough go lately. When I was first diagnosed, I was in the ER a few times, but usually if I had CH and a migraine at the same time. For some reason, that combo was a never ending nightmare, the pain would go on for hours.

Brew is right, you need to keep a supply of energy drinks, and a couple of ice packs, or frozen veggies, like peas, and anything else you need to fight the beast. Your boyfriend probably doesn't understand what or why you need these things.

I understand your frustration with him, but he could be feeling helpless, and doesn't know what to do to help you. Maybe when you aren't getting hit, you two can sit down and talk about it. Supporters have the hardest job, because they have to watch us and can't do a damn thing to stop our pain, and that hurts them.

Just a couple of suggestions... as soon as you START to feel like you're about to get hit, get on the O2, the sooner the better, and chug an energy drink, or even strong coffee, lots of it. I know you said the O2 didn't work for you that time, but try it again, and try the energy drink, it can take the edge off pretty fast.

If you feel like you have to go to the ER, print off the links Bob posted (when you aren't getting hit) take them with you, and tell your boyfriend you need to go. I wouldn't suggest driving yourself.  If he won't take you, call an ambulance. But, be aware of how long your hits last, and how far you are into it, by the time the ambulance gets there, and transports you, you could be coming out of it. That's the nature of the beast.

If you can, try to stay as calm as you can, and find something to meditate on, even just thinking of something, anything, can help take your mind off the pain. Move around, try the cold packs.

Tell your doctor you need some sort of preventative, and another abortive, maybe a triptan, and you may need to TELL him this. Some docs have no clue.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 9:17pm

sophia, i agree with the above posts. you need to get a good grasp of how long your hits last, because,,,,, there is a good chance by the time you get to the E.R. , the hit will be over. now if your hits have been lasting three hours,,,, thats different. Definately DO NOT drive yourself. there is a good chance they will give you a shot thats gonna knock you out!!!!! they ,(the E.R.) wouldnt let you drive yourself home anyway. stick with the O2, its not perfect for me either, but sometimes its a miracle. good luck, and hang in there!! remember, these things dont last forever and they dont kill you. You can do it, and we ALL are here for help and support. God bless!  Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 2:38am

Well, I -disagree- that it's completely your responsibility to deal with KIP level 10 hits when your bf is in the house. OF COURSE he should do all he can to help you, beginning from trying to educate himself about cluster headache! Spontaneously, without you urging him to do it. And at least come and ask if you need some help. God knows that if my loved one would suffer so, I would. I'm sure you are ready to provide the answers, if he will ask.

That being said, sometimes people do think though that people in "embarrassing" conditions want to be left alone. Maybe your bf thought that? He could have also generally felt helpless and the cold beer could have been his way to help - it is usually a nice gesture. I think you should clearly talk it through with him, but then again, you probably already have?

Also, sometimes the beast comes quicker and a bit unexpectedly. Just yesterday I was struggling with my liquid oxygen system, which I had been too stupid to open from the packaging before a hit, and was in full KIP 9, writhing on the floor and crying from the pain before I could get it to work. My guy came home from just taking the garbage out and wondered why I didn't have the ice pack there...but that was just it - the pain was just too great for me to even get to the freezer. We're all human. And I'm pretty sure if he hadn't given me the ice pack I'd have kicked his ass gazillion miles from Saturn after the hit Wink

Have you tried the ice, Sophie? I'm sure your doctors allow you to use it, even when they deny other meds for 60 days. I have a big chunk of ice in a plastic bag which I just press against the cluster side of my head during a hit. It managed to reduce that KIP level 9 hit to a much more manageable pain in a matter of minutes. Heh, the ice has actually already partially melted and molded to my head Smiley

- Wishing you better times soon!
         Rosa
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008 at 6:22pm by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:46am

I have to chime in here as a supporter.  I'm going to disagree with Brew and Purpleydog.

If your boyfriend is going to stay with you, then he needs to learn what to do and what not to do.  Yes, it is *your* responsibility to have all your abortives handy, but it is *his* responsibility to support you when you are having a headache.  So what if he doesn't understand?  Men don't understand childbirth, but they are asked all the time to assist their wives in delivery.

I'd like to ask a question or two though, (a) does your boyfriend know that you cannot have alcohol during a cycle? and (b) does your boyfriend know that you have dietary restrictions?  If you answer *yes* to either of those questions, then if I were you, I'd seriously question the relationship.

'darlin

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:58am

deltadarlin wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:46am:
...but it is *his* responsibility to support you when you are having a headache.

I don't believe you're disagreeing with me. Where did I say it wasn't his responsibility to support her when she was having a headache? I said it was her responsibility to have the abortive tools handy.

If someone is going to ask their boyfriend to go out to the store and get them an energy drink WHILE they're getting hit, that person should pretty much expect anything. If you stock the fridge with your chosen energy drink, there's a much greater likelihood you'll get what you need.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 8:50am

As one who DOESN'T have a supporter, I say be PREPARED for those hits. Keep power drinks in the fridge - keep coffee ready to brew - keep your O2 handy (be sure it's right - 15 liters with a nonrebreather mask) and some ice packs handy in the freezer.

to me ER is a waste of time - most of the time the docs there don't have a clue. I've only gone to ER a couple of times and it was useless.

Talk to your doc about prevents and aborts - You are your best ADVOCATE in your treatment. Read READ read - here and go to the doc armed. He probably doesn't know that much about CH - it's up to you to educate him/her.

As has been said - these things won't kill you, but you need to be prepared to deal with them when they hit.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 9:17am

Believe it or not, there are some people who are incapable of being supporters. That said, I think it would behoove you to have a heart to heart chat with him, regarding your affliction, and how he can help.
I also believe you should be prepared for a hit as best you can, as your arsenal for fighting is non existent. Preventing, an abortive that works for you...and 02............
Finally, some coping mechanism......meditation, focus, something to help remind you this will pass.
I hope these posts will help you. These are smart capable people who suffer as you so.some with great supporters, some with none- ALL ready to help any way you need.so, please, continue to ask, continue to cope, and drop in any time, OK?
Wishing you PF,
Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 11:52am

Thanks everyone. I have read all the posts up til now and I WILL write out what I need him to do when I hit a level 10 that fast. I WILL keep energy drinks in the fridge and I always have coffee ready to go in the pot. My O2 is also set up and in the room I usually hide in when I am miserable. The nutty doc in the ER gave me morphiene and I didnt even need it when I got home. I am saving it for next time I want to go flying without a plane. Yes it is my resposibilty to help myself and I know that. But I would never let him suffer like that and would educate myself about any condition he has. I expect the same from him. I think that is fair. And I have informed him of this. I will stock up on energy drinks tomorrow as they are on sale at Netto (a store in Denmark). I have ordered a new bottle of oxygen so I have 2 in the house and will buy a pitcher for iced coffee as well. I will also put my ice bag near the freezer to fill it with ice cubes next time I have forgotten about that. Wish me luck on my test tomorrrow. I am hoping the beast stays away for at least a half hour. I am also going to pester my headache doctor for an abortive. This is just brutal. Thanks for the support. Sophia

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 7:29pm

My apologies brew, I didn't realize that she'd asked him to go *out* and get her something (I misread it).

But, read your first sentence, "none of this is your boyfriends' responsibility", that's where I got *that* from.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 9:57pm

Cathi_Pierce wrote on Jun 16th, 2008 at 9:17am:
Believe it or not, there are some people who are incapable of being supporters.
Cathi

My husband has Wet Macular Degeneration in both eyes. He's legally blind. He can't drive. He qualifies for disability - yet he works. Representatives from the Center for the Blind have come to our house to help teach him how to get around and setup some very expensive equipment so that he can do ordinary things. Yet, he has gone to the store for me and brought back energy drinks when I've needed them (I keep it stocked, but he is fond of drinking my supply)
He's disabled and he is capable of being a good supporter.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 4:53am

WOW some of you have a great support system set up. I am still working on getting things set up to cope with the demon. I have been newly diagnosed and still learning about all of this. I honestly appriciate all the good advice. BTW I PASSED MY EXAM!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 8:47am

Sophia, If you're still learning, then your boyfriend is too. And it's harder for him to understand because he has no way of knowing the amount of pain you are in. Educate him and give him a chance.

Congratulations on passing your test.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 1:01pm

Geez....there is nothing I hate more than hearing about the lack of support that some of us receive.  Really pisses me off.  However, Brew is right.  Especially in a situation like yours.  Get yourself a boat load fo the energy drinks and do not give up on the 02 just yet.  Ice cold showers at times will abort an attack for me.  A hot shower will soothe the pain.  Try doing some push ups til your arms are about to fall off.  This can abort an attack as well.  They are my desperate measure defenses against the beast.  But do not give up on the o2.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 5:07am

i remember the first time a went to the er, that was fun. i scared the crap out of the doctors, nurses, and all the people in the waiting room. all of them were pretty much clueless. after my attack was over i said calmly "well i'm ok now and i'm leaving". they didn't do a damn thing and they still sent me a bill.
it might be possible that your not getting enough o2 to abort. what setting are you using.
brew is right about this being your battle. it took a while to get my wife broke in to ch. if i am peaking i try to be as polite as i can and she brings me ice water, cold wet towels, open the windows ect. when i'm in the truck i keep all my weapons handy and easy to find. i prefer to have these attacks alone by myself that way it doesn't effect my loved ones as much. as long as me and my wife have been together she still gets upset and i hate that.
keep in mind your boyfriend probably doesn't completely understand what you are going through but i'm sure he can adapt. my wife did way before we ever got married. Wink   
i hope that gives you some helps sofia.

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 5:45am

Johnny: Tag, you're it.

It's funny how this thread about "should I go to the ER" has turned into the best "how should my loved one deal with my CH" thread I've seen so far.  I wish I had read this when I was first diagnosed.

My wife may fall under the "can't be a supporter" heading, but the jury's still out.  She honestly seems unteachable sometimes, and says things like "why don't you just try to come to bed?" when I'm ramping up with a hit.  She asks me at night "can you drive the kids to x,y,z tomorrow" and gets upset when I say "I won't know until tomorrow," when she knows I never get more than an hour between hits.  She plans dinners with friends and family in the evenings when I'm sure to get back-to-back hits, and gets frustrated when I have to bail out.

I think dealing with "supporters" takes as much practice and finesse as learning what tools will help with the hits.  I've learned with my wife to stand firm on things I can't do, and let her deal with that reality in her own time.  I've also learned that (with her) it's best to leave when I'm in pain - to another room or the back yard, or my car with the AC blasting in the driveway.  I have to agree with Cathi, that not everyone can be a supporter, at least not initially.  Maybe if you're dating that's a good sign to move on.  With my wife, after 11 years of marriage and 2 kids, I just remind myself that she didn't sign up for this any more than I did, and though she accepts it she may not be built to handle it.  If she isn't built for it then I have to accept that, and hope that over time she'll learn.

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 11:20am

I am still in horrible pain and wish this cycle would end. I have gone so far today as to make a hangmans noose. I untied it and threw the rope away. I called the doctor last week and was told she will call me this week if she has time. My boyfriends family accuses me of being a drug addict. I dont take drugs and the prescription I use for the other two types of headaches I get I use twice a week. I have had no abortive pain therapy in 2 months. I feel so helpless and caught up in the pain. I have been trying to meditate all day and cant. I have been trying to get someone to come and sit with me and I cant. I am very afraid of myself and my cluster attacks. And how in the name of god can one have both a migraine on one side and a cluster headache on the other side? Today sucks and I am here because it is physically impossible for me to do the irreversable and type at the same time. I am so tired of this I cry constantly and I feel like no one cares. I know I sound just pitiful and depressing but that is  how I feel and I know I sound weak and useless too. I am sorry but I NEED help. Sophia Cry

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:19pm

Sophia,

Sorry about the drug addict label.  I've found, to my disappointment that many friends and family who can't handle this beast don't just abandon you - they become very cruel.  If they didn't find a way to blame you, then they wouldn't be able to face their own weakness and indifference.  When I took narcotics, I just gave them to my wife to hide, and she would pull out a few days worth at a time.  That way noone "suspects."  At one point, her brother-in-law tried to justify his own drug abuse by pointing out that I take pills, and they tore him a new ass-hole.

Finally, I think when you're at the point you are you should definitely consider busting (clusterbusters.com). PM me if you have any questions.

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #21 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:21pm

Sophia,

Where do you live?  There may be someone in your area that would be willing to help somehow - maybe just come sit with you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!