Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headache w/knot on neck (Read 5788 times)
ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Anybody seen Mighty Manfred?

x0|Tullahoma|USA||0|0|TN,Tennessee
Cluster Headache w/knot on neck
Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:32pm

Recently, when I have a Cluster attack I get this knot on the back of my neck.  After the episode I have noticed that the site where the knot occurred is VERY sore.  To the point that it hurts to touch it.  Is this normal?  Anybody get the knots?

Thanks,
Allen

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Re: Cluster Headache w/knot on neck
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 12:27am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 2:25am

Yes it's fairly common, I used to be convinced there was a nerve that ran from there to near the back of my eye,...and if I could just severe that nerve.... Undecided

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 2:40am

Yep.

They seem to be most commonly located at the sphenopalatine ganglion (at the base of the skull) or at C5 (the fifth cervical vertebra) on the cluster side.  I get mine at C7, where the neck meets the shoulder.  A few people get them on the roof of the mouth.  One person that I know of gets one on the cheek.

Not everyone gets them, by any means.

It seems to be swollen nerve ganglia, and associated tissue.  Long ago, I used to think the knot caused the headache, but it's pretty certain that it's the other way around--the headache causes the knot.  Putting ice on the affected area can help.

And yes--it's miserable.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 7:35am

Ohh Yaa,  the lovely neck pain thing which is just a kindly reminder of what you just experienced in case you forgot!!  I get them bad and agree, I used to think it was the neck pain causing the h/a but pretty sure its the other way around.  My pain actually begins just under my head goes down my neck and sometimes even makes that muscle at the tip of my shoulder blade sore.  Nonetheless, I see a chiropracter from time to time but don't get excited, it does nothing for my clusters just makes my neck/back feel a little better!  Plus, I stay away from the Chiro when in a bad bout because one time I was really suffering and went to get my neck adjusted and the beast released a whop-a$$ bombshell on me for a few days.  I dont know if the neck adjustment provoked that or not but I'm not willing to test it again during a bad bout after that!  I use ice, those ice bandages you can get from Walmart/Pharmacy or if I ask nice, I get my wife to rub my neck which seems to help!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:00am

get the knot - back of neck.  i always wanted to tap-in a valve there at the knot and open it during attack.

chiro releases massive beast.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:33am

Yeah, knots like that are common.  I use aspercream or aspirin, massage and chiropractic, and (not too hot) hot-packs to deal with it.   

It is referred pain and descending activation of the nerves - it originates higher up, and then there is inflammation in the nerve bundle.  Next cycle, I am going to try a cortisone cream on the bulge to see if that helps.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:37am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:17pm

Thanks!  I'll try the ice pack tonight.  My wife got me some Aspercream to try too.

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 9:26pm

It puts the Aspercream on its knot, or it gets the hose!!!!

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:54am

I got the big lump/knot on the back of my neck a month before my first headache 10 years ago.  My wife noticed it before I did.

I use maximum strength Theragesic - it's like aspercreme.  I don't know if they all work this way, but you can put Theragesic all around your neck, leave it for 10-15 minutes, and then shower it off, and the pain killing effect lasts quite awhile (on the neck muscles, anyway - won't help your head).
Quote:
It puts the Aspercream on its knot, or it gets the hose!!!!

God I loved that episode!
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:56am by Chappy »  

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!