Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squirting sounds in back of head? (Read 10139 times)
Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Squirting sounds in back of head?
Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:04am

I'm curious if anyone else gets this particular symptom associated with their CH:

Often (daily) just before or during a headache, I feel and hear a squirting fluid sound in my head.  It "seems" to be more on the left side (my pain side), a bit below ear level, back near the skull, and somewhat toward the center.  It sounds like if you squeezed fluid through a straw with your fingers pinching the straw off.  It comes in spurts, along with a "pressure" feeling in that area, and repeats every 15 seconds or so for maybe a few minutes.

I do get tinnitus, but this is very different.  I've mentioned it to docs but they just get that glazed over look they have when they don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Anyway, I've sometimes thought this may be a CSF leak or something, but if other clusterheads experience this then I'll know I don't need to worry.

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Re: Squirting sounds in back of head?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:21am

i see your not getting any sleep either. Grin can't say i've had the squirting sound in the back of my head but i have squeaky sounds. when i get hit bad i get watery mucus.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:31am

Sleep? What's that?  I have vague memories of it...

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 9:55am

Can't say I've noticed a "squirting' sound, but the "neck thing" causes all manner of horrible crunching noises--Karunch....Karunch...whenever I move my head around during a hit.  Very unpleasant.

I used to think that if I moved my head around and twisted my neck...just right...that something would "pop" and the headache would subside.  Perhaps fortunately, that never happened.

Couldn't say whether or not the "squirting" sound is CSF, but I rather doubt it--there's so much complex tubing and plumbing around there, it could be anything from draining sinuses to blood flow--like the sound of arterial blood that you get when you press your fingers in your ears.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:10am

I've often thought that if my head would "pop OFF"  my headache would subside.   Grin   

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:13am

That's called home-chiropractic.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:15am

Quote:

You've got it.  And it doesn't work any better than the real thing, either.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:27am

I could possibly relate to what you are saying.  I think it has something to do with the sinuses.  I can hear it inside my head.  Almost feels like I am decompressing.  Never noticed it to be a bad sensation so I don't worry about it.  But yes, that is just one of many things strange going on inside of my head.  Squirting is actually a good way to descibe it.  I wouldn't know another way to say it

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 11:47am

George wrote on Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:15am:
Quote:

You've got it.  And it doesn't work any better than the real thing, either.

Best,

George

Not for our particular affliction, it doesn't.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:37pm

Wouldn't describe it as squirting, but I get all kinds of snap, crackle and pops. I'm thinking sinus as mine alternately plug or gush...

Regards,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Its time to change the oil and crank up on the bolts in your neck!  Wink

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:49am

Quote:
Squirting is actually a good way to descibe it.  I wouldn't know another way to say it

Good - just so someone else experiences it, I'm comfortable that it's within the realm of cluster-possibility.

Quote:
the "neck thing" causes all manner of horrible crunching noises--Karunch....Karunch...whenever I move my head around during a hit.  Very unpleasant.

I get those too, but they've very different from the squirting.  I think someone described those as tendon moving over bone, everything's probably tightened up during a hit.  But these squirting sounds happen if you hold perfectly still - I've tested that many times, and they come in little bursts.  Kevmd described it perfectly.

As for the home chiropractic - I love to shove the palm of my hand into that space where skull meets neck and just push - relieves alot of tension.

Quote:
I've often thought that if my head would "pop OFF"  my headache would subside.

I used to joke alot about decapitation during a hit.  I guess my wife didn't appreciate that humor given the "suicide headache" nickname.  She also doesn't want me to see "The Happening" because she's afraid it'll give me ideas.  Still I've made her swear that when I do die they'll seperate my head and burn it, and not bury it with the rest of my body.

I was actually in the middle of a hit one night when I started singing an impromptu song about my head popping off and fluids gushing on the bedsheets.  Didn't know my kids could hear me in the other room.  They still sing that song to this day - it is kind of catchy.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2008 at 4:54am by Chappy »  

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 2:34pm

jon019 wrote on Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:37pm:
Wouldn't describe it as squirting, but I get all kinds of snap, crackle and pops.

I think that's from putting Rice Krispies in your ears.  Grin

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!