Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
looonng cycle or chronic? (Read 2290 times)
cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

looonng cycle or chronic?
Jun 20th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Hi -- I'm new -- introduced myself over in the newbie section -- won't repeat any of that....

My questions is about chronic vs episodic.  How can you tell? 
How long is a typical cycle?
If you are chronic do you have 'cycles' within that?  Say, low level pain with occasional revs?  Or is that just a looonngg cycle?

Also, can someone describe what is meant here by 'shadows.'  Do people mean low pain, or do they mean other non-pain related annoyances like eye pressure.

It's a pleasure to ask questions of people who don't stare blankly and shrug their shoulders.  Thanks.
Cynthia

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: looonng cycle or chronic?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:16pm

First of all -- welcome to Clusterville...

Cycles vary ... This year a lot of cycles seem to be longer than usual - some blame it on their meds - who knows????

Chronic is described as continuing headaches without a 30 day let up in a year's time...

Shadows are the nagging CH that just doesn't blossum into a full blown one, but is enough to let you know it's THERE! I usually consider anything below a Kip 5 a shadow and usually coffee or a can of Red Bull will clear it up or at least make it tolerable.

So many are worrying about going chronic lately. Best advice I have for ya is don't worry about it -- you'll know if it happens then you can deal with it.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:16pm

I read through your other post ad I'll try to help.  To me some things may have been to vague.  Anyway, i'm not so sure you have CH.  Now, you talk about 1 hour hits, 5 days consecutive of pain and correct me if I do not remember  correctly but also 180 days of 24/7

Shawdows are the dull low level pain you feel before a hit comes or sometimes you feel the shadow but a hit doesn't happen.  The shadows could be eye pressure or pressure in other areas. I believe the chronics will tell you there are high cycles with revved up activity during months or years of constant activity

I'll let someone else clearly define the chronic vs episodic as I do not recall if its 6 motnhs or a year with out more than 2 consecutive weeks without pain

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:34pm

ya, probably could have used an editor for that first post.   Smiley  sorry about that.

I could've written it like this:  I've had eye pressure, nasal congestion and at least a low level 'something' everyday for 180 days.  It breaks down like this:  In the first 30 days I had mid-level pain everyday, all day, then one big hit.  In the next 120 days I had a sort of regular pattern of mid-level headaches, one or two a day at predictable times.  The last 30 days have been back to just eye pressure, scalp burn, shadows.  (if I'm using that word in the same way you folks do)

I, too, question whether this is CH.  I had migraines as a teen and this is not that.  It's not debilitating, I don't bang my head, it is annoying but I can trudge through it -- mainly because lying down makes it feel worse, so I just keep going.  Verapamil did seem to reduce the pressure in my eye.  So, I don't know.  It's something.....don't know what.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:48pm

The "updated" criteria for chronic is one year without a 30 day remission.
Yes, it's pretty common for chronics to have "high cycles" where activity really ramps up.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 1:56pm

ok, thanks everyone.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Hi Cynthia!  Welcome aboard!

I don't know if it will help but I'll tell you my experience with CH.  When I am having shadows, it can range from annoying to moderate pain.  Sometimes my left eye twitches (strange because I have right side pain)  When I have a true hit, I do not bang my head either.  I cannot continue with daily activities however.  I have to be alone, put ice on my head, push on my eye, rock, cry, pray, curse, try to be calm, remember to breath....... and so on.    After all of this I am exhausted and sometimes feel slightly drunk.  When in a full cycle I go in and out of all of this for months at a time.  Then it slows down in frequency and severity till it stops.  This is of course what happens if I have no meds. to abort or prevent.  It all goes differently if I am lucky enough to have gotten success from my meds.

I hope that you are able to find the cause for your pain and resolve it soon.  Stick around and lets us know what you find out.  Everyone here is willing to help!

Take Care!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 5:22pm

thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 9:05pm

Hi Cynthia! Welcome to the board!

I have noticed that I have two types of shadows. One consist of  a dull achy pain like a sinus headache but it only effects my cluster side. The other type is when I get random jabs to my head or the sensation that I am about to have a full blown attack but then it never ramps up. Sometimes my "shadows" are accompanied by pressure on my eye as well as a slightly droopy eyelid that will last for hours or all day.

For me personally, I have a harder time getting rid of the shadows than I do a full blown cluster attack.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

cynthia_in_nh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 9:50pm

Thanks -- the different experiences of different people help put my own experiences in perspective.  Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!