Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How could I have been so stupid ! ? (Read 2878 times)
Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
How could I have been so stupid ! ?
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:49am

I am such an idiot ! ! !   

I made it through the entire spring taking my trusty Verapamil.   Worried and worried that I would get hit.  Never did!  I kept telling myself that I would get to a new neuro soon......... before I needed one.  I was safe though....... I made it through the Spring with no real hits.  I could wait till next spring.  WHAM! ! ! !   3:00am, out of no where, a real hit.  And now here I am with no preventatives and only Imitrex pills to abort.  It took close to an hour  to get rid of it this morning.   Heavy shadowing now. I know he'll be back! I'm so f@#*ing mad at myself!  How could I think that I was safe?  How could I think I could get one up on him? 

What should I do?   Help!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Re: How could I have been so stupid ! ?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:52am

Oh Jeannie, I'm so sorry.  You have got to get a script for Verap ASAP and I bet you will need prednisone now.  I'm so sorry.  I will send you an IM.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 1:59pm

Crap Jean
You know the drill, abortives, and transitionals.
Beat that demon. Smiley
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 2:04pm

First of all, don't panic.

Call your doc for more verapamil, and oxygen or Imitrex shots. Your PC doc can do that, no need for a neuro, if it's in your records. While you're at it, call the neuro for an appointment.

Then get some melatonin, energy drinks, and whatever else you find helpful.

You can do this, you know you can.  Smiley

hugs, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 2:09pm

You're only stupid if you don't learn from it, Boo.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:07pm

I've done that before.
After 20 years I always assume I will never get another cycle.  Is that stupid?  Dunno.  It keeps me sane.
What you need to do is get a script for O2--with persistence you can get it--make sure it is for the right flow.  See button on left "oxygen info".  You can see a general practitioner or call your headache doc--tell them it's urgent you need O2.  See if they will also give you a script for verapamil also.  Don't panic.  Just make the calls.  Let us know how it goes OK?  Good luck.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 4:37pm

Damn Jeannie, I am so sorry to hear the beast paid you a visit.  You have been given good advice.  Call the Doc and stock up on prevents and aborts.  Hope this was only a fluke hit and the beast forgets your address.

Hugs,
Beth

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 5:45pm

sorry to hear of your hit jeannie, but i agree with nani, jsut call your family doc, and ask him for your verap, and maybe prednisone and O2 script. To tell you the truth, I have not seen my neuro for 7 years, i just call my family doc and he is MORE than happy to get me any script i need. I must admit though, this took years to get him this way. As with most docs, he had NEVER even heard of CH. One afternoon in the late eighties, I got a MONSTER hit in his office, it scared the hell out of him, ever since then he has done a great job of educating himself, and really, he would pretty much prescribe anything i asked for. He doesnt even expect me to come to the office. He does it over the phone.  Good luck!!! You can and will get it under control. God bless              Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:56am

at least i dont feel like such an idiot...

for me...remission = denial.
then BAM...and the mad scramble for o2. 

at least i learned to stock pile the trex.

IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Anybody seen Mighty Manfred?

x0|Tullahoma|USA||0|0|TN,Tennessee
Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:03am

Ask the doctor for a 90 day supply.  Your insurance should cover it.  If you don't have insurance, ask the pharmacy if they have a program for people without insurance.  If not, give me a jingle and we can find you something to help with the cost somewhere.  Verapamil is pretty standard and cheap now.

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 12:37pm

I did almost the same thing and yes I was pissed at myself for letting the SOB back in my life after 4 years.   Whats done is done.  Get it back under contol and get some o2 as well.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 2:17pm

I tend to forget about the Beast all together when not in cycle, so when it arrives I am always unprepared..... I still have not learnt after all those years, so maybe it's human nature? I can relate to what you say in o so many ways. As Icculus stated a few posts back: remission is denial.
One thing I've learnt this cycle though: there is a bunch of info widely available here on this site (only found it a few weeks ago) and this brings me to never tell anyone again that I have migraines just for the sake of NOT having to explain that CH is NOT a regular headache. I now direct my friends and so forth to here to read up on it. I used to tell people my headaches were a form of migraine, just to make sure they knew my hurting was genuine and not some tension kinda headache thingy..... CH.com is not only very helpful to me, but also to my beloved ones and the people I deal with on a daily basis.
PFDAN to y'all!

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:39am

i think that after you get through a cycle all is good right.  drink a beer, go to work, SLEEP, and have a normal life. you don't want to think such a horrible thing could ever happen again ever even though you've been through several cycles.  i've been pf for 5 or 6 months now and i had been about 3 or 4 years since the previous cycle.  to this day still have a bottle of o2 i keep under my sleeper and my regulator and mask in the overhead compartment in the cab. i keep a 4 pack of  redbull in the fridge. i never drink it cause i think it tastes horrible but i keep it there just in case theres some kind of cluster headache emergency out on the interstate and i can have the chance to save the day with my cluster headache remedies........or if a start up a cycle out there and i need some back up but i'll don't need that stuff anymore right?  Wink

i did notice that a few weeks before the end of the cycle i had 3  45 minute screamers back to back that brought the neighbors over at 3 a.m. after the 3rd hit i had a shadow the rest of the day and i got some sleep too. after that they tapered off and at the end i was getting some bad migraines but no ch. then those went away and i've been normal ever since.
i have gotten  isolated ch out of cycle but there was always an obvious trigger. hope that helps jean

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!