Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vertigo (Read 4052 times)
snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
vertigo
Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:02pm

hey guys I'm here again with another weird thing. I been having this terrible vertigo.  haven't fallen(thank goodness) but it sure feels like I'm going to sometimes. do you guys ever get this and what do you do about it if so?

IP Logged

IowaGuy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Iowa, USA
Re: vertigo
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:54pm

Funny you should post this... I've been having the same thing since tapering off Prednisone. My headaches are back and now I have this weird dizziness all the time. Maybe it's my Verapamil? I didn't think so, I'm only on 240mg/day and I have been on it before without this persistent burning/dizziness.

Doc sent me in for my first MRI today. I doubt anything interesting shows up, but I guess it's good to know for sure.

UPDATE: Geez that was fast, I was making another post when the doc called. MRI was normal. Next stop, neurologist for better options.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:15pm by IowaGuy »  

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Vertigo isn't really a symptom that is associated with CH, so if it is occurring, I think it warrants a call to the doc for further investigation.  I actually have had a few bad bouts of vertigo, most of them occurring a few years ago now - and the doc associated it with basilar migraine, at the time.

Any time a new symptom pops up, it is important that it be discussed with a doc!  It would be different if the majority of CH'ers experienced vertigo, but they don't.  And vertigo can mean a variety of other things!

Take care,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 6:10pm

you know folks it's really a bummer how each of us seem to have really individualized symptoms and they run a broad and varied spectrum from the mundane to the bizarre... from the docile to the alarming.  As I have said before, I have had these abominations for 25 years, now and I have never yet met anyone who suffers just as I do... I am sick ALL the time during my cycle.  I feel as though I am walking through water all the time (vertigo), I get swelling of the feet and ankles, I do not respond to the usual drugs except, of course, imitrex injections, and my headaches DO switch sides, usually at the tapering of the cycle(from right to left) BUT! not always It just shows to go ya, I guess.  I'm really ready for this to be over. Got my kids wedding comin' up on july 12..... thanks anyway folks! Undecided

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:41pm

I'd say lissen to Carrie, Snook.

In my case, vertigo, dizzyness, has never been a symptom of ch but it IS an occasional symptom of verapamil. No rhyme or reason for when.

I range between 480-960 mg/dy depending on cycle.

Regards

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:47pm

right on jon, carrie, 'preciate you all out there and am damn glad to have you to hang on to.  don't hesitate to do same if I can offer any meager assistance

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:53am

Lizzie2 wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:13pm:
Vertigo isn't really a symptom that is associated with CH, so if it is occurring, I think it warrants a call to the doc for further investigation.  I actually have had a few bad bouts of vertigo, most of them occurring a few years ago now - and the doc associated it with basilar migraine, at the time.

Any time a new symptom pops up, it is important that it be discussed with a doc!  It would be different if the majority of CH'ers experienced vertigo, but they don't.  And vertigo can mean a variety of other things!
Carrie Smiley

Snook I agree with Carrie and Jon

You may be the first ever to report this symptom with CH.
I have heard that it can be a part of other migrainous type head pain and some CH with Aura has been proven but I have not heard of the swelling feet, water effect or vertigo before either, except from medications used.

We are all willing to learn more. I am not discounting your pain just curious about it. After 25 years has this allways been a symptom?

Any others out there with similar symptoms?

MJ

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:38pm

well man, about 12 or 13 years ago I was in a major cycle and my son was actually the first to notice the edema.  He was about 15 years old at the time and says "wow Dad look how big your feet are"! and I have done it ever since. I have always just figured that the fluid was a product of gravity because I am one of those CHers' who sleeps sitting up.....so I never lie down during my cycle. HAVING SAID THAT!  My cycle seems to be calming somewhat, and I have noticed that the number and intensity of me attacks seem to be directly related to the amount of swelling! In other words my swelling is down very much and I am still sleeping sitting up! Go figure man....  No meds changes either.... you know how it is.... you wrack your brain trying to figure stuff out to the point of obsession and still no answers.  So, in summary, I don't understand it, never have, and don't really expect to and the idiots that profess to treat this stuff don't have an explanation either. Ever watch that show on Discovery Channel "Mystery Diagnosis"? HA!  Later Guys  Keep the faith Wink

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:14pm

I have had the occasional bout of vertigo. All things considered. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with CH though.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:34pm

I concurr. Might be the drugs, might be the sinus, might be the devil, and there i go again Cheesy

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:25pm

Durring my first episode of ch I had the worst case ever of vertigo.  It started and ended at the same time the ch did.  It was severe.  I had an MRI and a lot of testing done by ENT dr.  Couldn't find anything wrong but it lasted nine months.  I crawled around every where I went.  Then It went away.  I hope it isn't related to ch for your sake.  It is still questionable if mine was related to ch at all or not.  Especially since it didn't happen after the first time and then I became chronic and havent' had virtigo since and that was eight years ago.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:30pm

hmmm... that IS strange and I am very sorry to hear about that for you. well lemme tell you a minor update. I been cruisin around on the web and ya know my left eye has been real irritated lately(1)  when I chew, the muscles in my neck hurt me pretty bad(2)   my nose is real stuffy (but I figure that always happens with the clusters anyway, right?)(3) you see where I am going here?  I got soreness in the back of my neck(4)  I think I may have a sinus infection... I am calling to make an appointment with my primary in the AM. Could also be aggravating the ch's if I do,  huh? Tongue

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:15pm

snookarosis wrote on Jun 25th, 2008 at 6:10pm:
Got my kids wedding comin' up on july 12..... thanks anyway folks! Undecided

Have you ever tried Frovatriptan (Frova)?  Since you respond well to Imitrex you might give it a whirl on the day of the wedding.  It is very long acting and can give you an entire day off. 

It's not an abortive though.  Takes 3 hours to become effective.

Good luck brother.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 8:06pm

never heard of it! I see that it is a triptan. thank you and please tell me more dennis, availability, cost, reliability, etc. etc. Thanx in advance Grin

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:22am

Some meds can cause vertigo (read the lit on them). I got really bad on something (can't remember what it was) and my PC doc looked it up and called my neuro up and told him we were d/c ing in immediately - I couldn't stand up without falling over.

And the swelling of the feet - get that too occasionally. Think that has something to do with the meds or something too. My doc thought it might have something to do with the pain of the headaches (his theory) and gave me some lasix when I swelled real bad and the B6 didn't work. Usually a large dose of B6 will work, but I keep the lasix in case. don't know if it helps the pain or not, but my shoes fit better.

A lot of the meds we take have so darn many side effects that it's a wonder we don't have a lot more things happening to us than we do. But I tried going "drug free" a couple of years ago .... WRONG!!! My neuro now has my "signed" permission to use a baseball bat on me if I EVER do that again. I had forgotten how bad it can get without my prevents, but I don't think I'll forget again. I'll live with the side effects thank you very much. Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:00am

I hear ya babs! I've gotten disgusted and gone the old "no meds" route before too!  Like ta killed me! wound up in the hospital I'll take side effects too.  don't like 'em but watcha gonna do? right? I think (still uncertain) just maybe, it is getting a little better.  I'm taking some Bactrim for an abcess that I have. Maybe if I have a sinus problem the antibiotic will work two-fold for me. Still going to see the doc though.... I'll letcha know.... thanx and bye

IP Logged

ImDisaster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 3:31am

I have also had vertigo with this, strange huh?  But I have been recently diagnosed with CH and had vertigo without any drugs.  I mostly get it when I lie down, so most of the time I sleep in a chair or some elevated position.  However it is really funny to my kids when I get it and run into a wall or something.  lol

IP Logged

snookarosis
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

texas
Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:12am

well at least someone gets some fun out of making sport of o'l dad!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!