Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dependant on Verapamil? (Read 1068 times)
Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Dependant on Verapamil?
Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:33am

Is it possible?  I was off of it for a couple of weeks and thought that I was finished with my cycle.  Had to start it again though.  I have just never had to take it this far into June and am wondering what's up?  Will I ever be able to get off of it?  I guess that it is not really that big a deal to have to take it.  I just hate the beast lurking around all the time!  I'm ready for him to get lost!  I don't know how you chronics do it!   Undecided

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Dependant on Verapamil?
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 11:20am

Two possibilities: your cycle had not stopped entirely and you were surprised; or, some (few?) folks find that they cycle so rapidly that staying on Verap. full time is an effective/needed response.

There have been some docs who keep their CH people on 100%. But there is no indication, in the medical literature which I've seen, that the med itself somehow acts to sustain the CH cycle. Given its benefits to us, it's a rather benign med.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 11:30am

I've taken verap almost every day for 8 years.  The first few times i tried to get off of it, I could feel him creeping back.  So I just decided to keep on taking it.  Constipation has been the only problem I have had I guess my advice would be to give it another month and maybe try it again

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 4:44am

I took Verapamil 480/day before my heart surgeries. Haven't used it since because my BP tends to run low. So I just use Dopymax for a prevent these days.
    When I was episodic. I used to go off of it every July without any problem. That stopped when I turned 50. When like 15% of the middle aged men I turned chronic. Then I had heart problems at 54, and couldn't take Verap. anymore. I liked it, cheap drug, easy to tolerate, did a good job. At least for me.
Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!