Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What are some things you do to help during attack? (Read 3430 times)
bettytinks
CH.com Newbie

Proud Supporter, Wife,
and Mother :)

Miami, Florida
What are some things you do to help during attack?
Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:53pm

I have read that a lot of CH like to be alone while they are under attack by the Beast and I wonder what you as supporters or you as the CH do during an attack.

Saul, my husband, dosn't like to be alone not for one second. He always wakes me or his mother up. And then his mom will usually wake me up because she gets nervous to be alone with him.

When I first witnessed the Beast he was diagnosed with migraines and what helpped was a massage in the shoulder and the neck of his right side. It would never go away completely of course but it seemed to help calm him. I always told him I didn't think he had migraines because he just didn't act "normal". That's when I began my research in finding what was really going on.

I also try to be there for anything he may need like a glass of water. Of course it must be plastic because I soon learned fast he would smash them.

When he goes to bang his head I have had to hold his arms down or let him squeeze my hands until I think they might break. Or grab the pillow to muffle the screams.

Icy Hot and Tiger Balm are his constant companions and I always make sure they are there by his side. I don't think they help with the pain but the smell of the menthol seems to comfort him.

When the ENT said it was a severe sinus infection I would heat up moist towels in the microwave with drops of Eucalyptus oil to hold over his face.

I have stood up to his family and friends who have written him off as insane because he was too afraid to leave our home. They still don't understand what he goes through but are not willing enough to stick around for one of the Beast's attacks.

No matter what I always stay by his side. If he's not sleeping I'm not sleeping. I'm too afraid what he will do alone. He is the love of my life and would move heaven and earth for him if I could. I know he would do the same for me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: What are some things you do to help during attack?
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 11:58am

I'm just the opposite of Saul. I don't just want to be alone, I NEED to be alone during an attack. I have oxygen in two rooms - the bedroom and the living room. That way I can go where I hopefully won't disturb my family.

My bride always asks if there's anything she can do. Most times the answer is no. But occasionally she will get me an ice pack or a glass of water if I ask. And then she proceeds with being nuts with worry while I'm aborting, bless her heart. She has also driven me to the hospital twice, and always takes over the driving if I get hit in the car (oxygen bottle always in the car as well).

Sorry I can't be of more help. Seems like Saul and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

IP Logged

Drew_Va
CH.com Junior

x1|Louisa|USA|usa|470|156|VA,Virginia
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 5:30pm

I like to be left alone, which isn't always easy with three small children. I use O2, hot showers, and I have been known to walk up and down my driveway in the middle of the night. Sometimes, when I get hit at work and can't use immitrex I will get in my truck and drive with all the windows down (I don't do this when I have a Kip 8+).

Endeavor to persevere

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:44am

I prefer to be alone when I get hit and deal with the hit on my own. My best supporter has brought me energy drink from the kitchen for few times, but other than that there really isn't anything he can do.

It sounds to me that you know already quite well what your husband needs when he's getting hit. We all are different what comes to our needs during a hit, so he is the best expert in helping you out. And what he needs might vary from hit to another; I've certainly noticed that myself.

Thank you for supporting your husband. Supporters are important to us clusterheads. Smiley

Best wishes,
Sanna
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:45am by sandie99 »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:53am

The very first thing I do at the first twinge of a CH regardless of where I am or who I am with is go to my oxygen tank and crank it up... Then I sit and breathe O2 until the attack is aborted.

If Saul has not been to a neurologist... find one near you that knows about Cluster Headaches... ask for a prescription for oxygen at 15 lpm and a non rebreather mask.

Know that you and Saul will be in my thoughts and prayers.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:49pm

Hi Betty,

I live in a very busy house.  So being alone isn't really an option.  There is simply no place to hide. 

Having said that, everyone knows that, when it's bad, I won't answer them and if I'm moving in a certain direction, not to get in my way. 

Outside of that they are all quick to detangle an O2 hose or get me an energy drink, water or ICE if I ask. 

Sometimes one of my little ones will put a hand on my shoulder while I rock.  That gives me strength to keep fighting my way back.  I find having them around helps to keep me from panicing.  I draw strength from them.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 7:15pm

My daughter is 23 and very much like Saul. If I start to walk away she will grab my hand. I think she is afraid to be alone at this point. I get kleenex, ice packs, ice chips, and sometimes just hold her and rock with her. We've had a few times with leaky o2 tanks so sometimes I run and get a new tank if it's not there. I also time her attacks. They are usually 10 min. or less with o2 and I watch the clock and confidentally tell her when it's almost over. I know that can change but for now it seems to help her know when it's winding down. I get some of those comments about being a doting mom but for now I will do what ever she needs.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 8:29pm

I too want to be left alone, but if my husband is with me, he knows NOT to touch me. Charlotte, I want him to tell me how far into it I am too, that way I know that its not going to last forever and the end is coming.   He stays quiet now, until I ask for time, and when its over, he'll get me a drink of water and tissues, both of which are very much appreciated.

Betty, that is awesome of you to be thinking ahead and getting advice on what sufferers need. Saul has a wonderful supporter in you.

Hugs,
Jen

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:07pm

Bobby, my hubby, also wants to be alone but i worry myself sick while he's going thru this, the O2 helps wonderfully for him. But I make sure that he has everything he needs downstairs, tissues, water (in a plastic cup....lol), towels, etc.  I have seem the extreme fear on his face though so maybe your hubby is paniced himself.  You didn't mention any meds?

IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus

What, it's all in my head?

Clyde, NY  USA
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:44pm

I too want to be left alone.  Some of the non med tricks I use are energy drinks, very strong cold coffee, lowering core body temp.

O2 doesen't help me much but for many it is a very good abortive. 

-P.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[img name=signat_img_resize]http://thumb15.web
Paul98 pjl98  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 9:03pm

yeah an attack is a private thing for me as well. it sounds as though saul doesn't have any good abortives. o2 with a 15 to 25lpm regulator is a must and you have to get on it early or it won't be as effective. red bulls and ice water worked as good abortives. try not to over do things in desperation. the neck rub thing works real good for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!