Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New cycle afer 8 years (Read 4409 times)
Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
New cycle afer 8 years
Jun 29th, 2008 at 6:30pm

My name is Matt and I've been in remission for 8 years.  I'm 40 years old now and I thought this nightmare was over.  Currently living alone, this is a real nightmare to say the least.  I can't put my family through this anymore.  My lucrative job is in jeopardy unless I can find someone with a clue about this disorder.  Living in Syracuse NY with this rare disorder, I'm not finding much help in the emergency rooms.  All I'm asking is for someone to say "I understand and you'll make it".  It's 6:30 EST., I'm do for my next shortly.  God help anyone who has to go through this pain.

Sincerely,

Matt
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2008 at 6:49pm by Mattcentralnewyork »  
mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: New cycle afer 8 years
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:25pm

Hello Matt, im Bill 40year old male in Cleveland. Your gonna be ok, and your gonna make it!! Matt you should consider the family medical leave act, its just 1 page the doctor fills out and your employer cannot fire you do to the condition you suffer. Bosses hate FMLA but it saved my job, my advise would be go to a local family MD. you will see him alot faster the the nero, Tell him you were previously diagnosed with cluster headaches and tell him what helped break your last cycle, print out the 02 info you get and show him!! tell him your last doc retired inbetween cycles and your left with this?? He will take you on and the scripts he writes are not druggy drugs so he will help you with his pen on the 1st day!!! Also you better get OXYGEN  get the right 02 mask and you should be ok soon. also when you feel your next round coming on drop and give me 50 push-ups, that worked for me a couple of times and it also will give you a mental push me back attudude that the beast cant stand. good luck PM me if you wish for more tricks on how to battle the beast with no insurance. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Thanks for replying.  I'm feeling very alone due to the fact that only my family has a clue about this disorder.  When I moved from New Jersey, I lost the experience from the doctors.  When I go to the er now, they look at me with the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look.   After spending the last 4 days at my parents house surrounded by family, I decided to give them a break.  I almost hurt someone accidentally during a severe attack.
Anyway, knowing I'm not alone, helps greatly.
Thanks,
Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:03pm

understand ur feelin alone, matt, however, we all here are here to help....................u r  absolutely not alone here!!!!!!!!!! maybe try some melatonin @ night for the evening hits, may aid in the sleep and hold off "da beast"...................tried Red Bull to knock down some hits a couple of notches? ice? heat? black strong coffee?........i am hopefully @ the end of my 5 mth first ever cycle, 4 days no Ch!!!  however, when/if HE (yes my beast is a male!!) returns, i will fight him with all i have, and then some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish u PF times, vent all u want on here, that's what we are all here 4!
deb Smiley Smiley

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:04pm

Matt,

Welcome!!  Sorry you had to find us, but what a great place to be...with people who understand and hurt just like you!  Read up on the site, it's full of information that can help you greatly when yous backs against the wall with your doctors!!

You are gonna be ok...lots here have "been there, done that"

Smiley

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:23pm

Stand fast! The band of "Old Farts" will gather round to help!

First, get a good doc:

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.
===========
Here are links to two sites for info on current therapies:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
======
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:14am

Welcome, Matt. Smiley

I'm so sorry that the beast found you after remission. But the good news is: you already know that you can become PF, so you can become PF again. Smiley

Other folkes have already give you good advices, check them out and there's more at this site. I'm sure that you can find a treatment, which suits you and helps you get back to the precious pain free days.

Lots of PF days,
Sanna

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 8:50am

Matt,

Sorry you are here but this is a great place to be!!!  Everyone here will help you and although you feel alone, as most of us do when suffering, we are all in the same boat together!  I agree with the previous reply's, get into a neuro right away, try ice on the back of the neck, energy drinks, melatonin at night and 02!  As far as your family understanding, search this site and find the "letter to family and collegues", print it out and give it to them.  As much as I have read, it explains "the beast" the best.
     Wish you the best my friend and PF times ahead.

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:50am

Bob Johnson wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:23pm:
Stand fast! The band of "Old Farts" will gather round to help!

Who you calling old fart  Grin

Hi Matt!  Welcome to the family.  Man, 8 years.  That's one long break.  Sorry to hear the beast found you again anyway.

You not gonna die.  Everything will be ok.  You can, and will keep your job!  The secret is learning what works best for you.

The best way for that to happen is self education.  There is a lot to read here to be sure.  I know you are in pain right now but make the effort.  You'll thank yourself later.

Most Docs and ERs don't know anything about clusters.  It's up to us to find the info we need and bring it to their attention.  So once you get your bearings the next step is to find a Dr you can work with.  Then you reclaim your life.

Bob gave you some great links.  I'll just add that I use O2 both at home and at work.  No one bats an eye.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

StressFree
CH.com Veteran

James4:8 I'm a moral failure,
but there is hope...

Ridgecrest, California
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:12pm

Hi Matt,

Hang in there. I have had very long remissions also. If you are getting multiple daily hits, a Prednisone taper may be worth taking to give a week long break. That stuff tightens up the blood vessels and keeps them tight. All that remains of clusters in my case is a comparitively mild burning sensation in the temple area. They have to give a fairly strong dose, and then taper you off of it for several days to ensure your immune system isn't weakened. While you are getting a break with the Prednisone, they likely will try Verapamil at a fairly high dose too. It is a blood pressure med with fairly mild side effects (makes me tired). Maybe you've been through all this 8 years ago? It works well for many of us. Staying on the verapamil for 4 or 5 more weeks and alternating Maxalt tabs and Stadol nasal spray (if someone will prescribe it) to abort breakthrough attacks has worked well for me. Also, I've zapped the crap out of my temple, jaw, scalp, back of neck, etc with a TENS machine (electricity that makes your muscles jump). It seems to help some. Did you happen to have a rather bad cold or flu that kicked you into another cycle? Or perhaps some excessive stress prior to or during the onset of cycle? I'm wondering, as these have been appearant triggers for me. It may be more significant to note any suspected trigger in our cases, since we have unusually long remissions. Good luck with the work and your family, don't give up bro! Hope to hear back from you, Rich

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Matt, hang on dude, you are gonna be ok!! take the advice from coach Bill and Bob Johnson, they know what they are talking about. I'm 42 years old, was in remission for 2 years,,(bliss). read, educate yourself, and BE TUFF.. You can beat the bastard. This is the place to vent, or get that uderstanding ear. We all understand and have been there. Good luck and God bless ya.      Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:34pm

I'm not sure if it was a "fluke", but last night I injected 6mg Imitrex and was relieved within ten minutes.   We'll see what happens tonight.

Thank you all for the support.

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:00am

Matt,

Welcome to Clusterville...

Now go out and get some Red Bull -- keep it handy and chug-a-lug a can at the first sign of Mr. Demon. A lot of the time it will kill a hit in it's tracks.

Melatonin at night (12-20mg) will stop the night hits.

O2 is the first line of defense for most of us (15 liters with a non-rebreather mask).

Ice Packs are great (frozen peas work well for ice packs) or heat (your choice - whatever works - we're split on this one / heat or cold).

But whatever you do -- DO NOT think you're alone in this -- there are several hundred people on this site who are here to HELP, SUPPORT or whatever you need. Most of us KNOW exactly what you're going thru (I'm chronic and haven't had a day off since 97 - an 8 year remission sounds like heaven to me).

And I'm just sitting here laughing about you getting violent with a family member during a hit..... I can relate to that. Everyone who knows me KNOWS NEVER touch me when I'm gettting hit or I might just injure them. Even my 6 year old grandson knows to wait until Granny takes off the O2 and then give her a hug when she's all better.

But you hang in there -- it will get better.... I promise.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 6:11pm

All,

Since you seem to be the only people besides my family who understands what I'm going through, I wanted to tell you what a new Neuro said regarding treatment.  Please reply with any comments:

Melatonin 9-12 mg's at night
Depakote er 500 mg..2 at night
Frova  two at night.

Also, he advised me that I can't do workouts with heavy lifting.
Any comments on this plan would be appreciated.

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 6:49am

Two frova at night every night strikes me as a bit of overkill. 
Frova is a very long acting triptan - up to 26 hours of relief.  It can take up to 3 hours to become effective in your system.  That makes it a bad choice for an abortive but it is very effective at giving you a whole pain free day. 

Triptans every night?  You are the first I've heard of.

How many milligrams are the tablets?

You said that 6mg of Imitrex took care of a hit.  Based on that I'd have expected your Dr to perscribe injectable Imitrex as an abortive.

I don't have any experience with Depakote.

Melatonin has been effective for me in the past with night hits.  The dosage sounds right.

100% Oxygen @ 15lpm is my primary abortive.  Using that and Verapamil brought my triptan usage way down last cycle.  Only a handful of Imitrex injections.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:39am

Matt,

PF wishes your way. Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 5:55pm

Matt, I'll add my support to the group's. This is a wonderful bunch and has certainly made me feel welcome. Oxygen therapy is the greatest and I hope you're able to score some, somehow. Plenty of people can give you advice on that. I personally have found great relief on Topamax but I know it doesn't work for everyone, and the side effects are... challenging, especially for the first few weeks.

Hang in there, bro!  Keep us posted.
David

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 4:46am

hi matt,
  i have 4 or 5 years between my cycles. this is a great  place to be when  you're  too scared to sleep. no matter what time of day, you can post something and usually get a quick response.

IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 6:27pm

Everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information.  I've been a little quiet lately due to  the fact  that I'm just scared of another level 10 coming.  Thankfully, my boss has been very supportive.  He's the only one that currently knows from my company.  I've been working virtual office for the past week and hope to try to return Monday.  Family and close friends are rallying to help as much as they can.  With that said, you guys and gals have been a huge help in this

Thanks for all your support!

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 7:48am

Hi Matt and welcome!
Eight years huh? Must be a bummer then to realise it's not gone after  all. But hang in there you might be due to another 8 years painfree after this cycle. It's a pain you wouldn't wish on anyone (except for people like Bin Laden, I'd love to see that cockroach suffer....).
To me it seems like the Verapamil helped abort my cycle this time. And off course the Imitrex are a blessing.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!