Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fishing and equilibrium (Read 3170 times)
MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Fishing and equilibrium
Jul 1st, 2008 at 9:51am

Not sure how many of you live on the coast or deep sea fish, but I have found an interesting phenomenon.  I live on the gulf coast of Alabama and go fishing in the gulf as often as I can.  I have noticed that when I am in high cycle and go out on a boat for an extended period of time in rough seas,  my equilibrium when returning to shore is off for several hours.  Each time I have gone out it has broken my cycle.  I am chronic, so my hits return in about four or five days, but it is a welcome reprieve nonetheless.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows something about it.  My wife is convinced we should move onto a houseboat!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Fishing and equilibrium
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:00am

Now here's a thread I could get into.  Anything about fishing purely rocks.   Wink

Seriously though--a question.  Before going out, do you take any medications for motion sickness?  Scopolamine, atropine, dimenhydrinate, cyclizine, promethazine--anything like that?  I'm simply wondering whether those substances might have some sort of effect.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:24am

I don't take anything thing for seasickness.  I've never been seasick before.  I am not sure what it has to do with, but it knocks the beast out every time.  The bigger the seas the longer the reprieve.  What kind of fishing do you do?

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:45am

MPMIII wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:24am:
I don't take anything thing for seasickness.  I've never been seasick before.  I am not sure what it has to do with, but it knocks the beast out every time.  The bigger the seas the longer the reprieve.  What kind of fishing do you do?

Boy, this is getting off-topic, as I knew it would.  Fishermen--watcha gonna do.  <bg>

I live in Idaho.  Ninety-nine percent fly-fishing for trout, with the occasional charter off the Oregon coast for rockfish or halibut.  Have never been out on the ocean when I was in cycle, though.

The only equilibrium issue with fly-fishing is trying to stay upright while wading.  I've been more or less successful at it, with some memorable exceptions.  Depends on the river, but wading the Gallatin (up near Yellowstone)--especially--can be compared to walking on greased cannon balls.   Wink

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 1:59am

I'm with George...  This rocks!  Fascinating phenomenon…  being a Navy pilot, I love the sea, deep sea fishing, SCUBA diving, and open ocean sailing, but haven’t been able to go out in 18 years… and I’ve been a CH’er for the last 14.

The question now is it coincidence or cause and effect?  Has this happened every time you go out deep sea fishing and how many times is that?  It’s not uncommon for a vestibular disturbance from being in rough seas to produce a sensation of motion for a few hours after coming ashore. Why this prevents you from having any cluster headache attacks for 4 to 5 days suggests a longer lasting mechanism in play.  Do you take Dramamine, Gravol, Vertirosan, or some other medication to prevent nausea or motion sickness?  Do you eat or drink anything different prior to our during the fishing trip?  Is the boat diesel powered and do things smell different for a few days after you come ashore?

If it’s just the motion…  The house boat may be too tame… have you tried a water bed?

Take care and do keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 6:06am

Batch wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 1:59am:
If it’s just the motion…  The house boat may be too tame… have you tried a water bed?

V/R, Batch

Would this not be something -- if a water bed would do the trick?

I'm serious -do any of you sleep in a water bed? If so -- check in.

Can't say for the fishing - my fishing consists of sitting on the bank drownding worms... then coming home telling about the BIG one that got away... Wink

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:14am

Every time I am in high cycle and I go offshore is seems to kill the cycle.  Nothing different in terms of eating or drinking.  I go out on both diesel and gas powered boats.  As you mentioned, I do have the feeling after returning to shore of still "rocking at sea" and this lasts for several hours.  I think this has some thing to do with it.  This could just be a coincidence, but either way, I'll take it.

Regards,

MPM

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:32am

Quote:
Would this not be something -- if a water bed would do the trick?

I'm serious -do any of you sleep in a water bed? If so -- check in.

Okay, okay...I admit it.  I sleep on a waterbed.  Call me a refugee from the seventies. 

I'm probably the last person in America who owns a waterbed.  And not one of those wimpy ones with baffles and such either--mine's a real swishy, squishy bag with water in it. 

Remember when there were waterbed shops all over the place?  Well, the last time I bought a new waterbed mattress, I had to order it off the internet from Gondwanaland, or someplace like that. 

History has left the waterbed forlorn...

I love my waterbed, but unfortunately, it doesn't do squat for CH.

Best,

George

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:28am

Interesting discovery, I'm glad you shared it with us - and I'm glad that you've found a way to get some relief! Smiley

Now, if only I could persuate my friend and her family to take me along when they're headed to the sailing journey they're making every year...

Sanna
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:29am by sandie99 »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 1:35pm

Sorry George...  The water bed comment was a wise crack...   I owned one for almost 15 years.  No baffles either, so any movement resulted in a sea-state 2 condition.  When I was aboard ship and assumed a horizontal position during heavy seas, I just went to sleep.  Having said that, I think deep sea fishing is marvelous method of preventing cluster headaches. 

I say this as I’ve found several studies and articles looking at the pharmacology and biochemistry of motion sickness, and in particular, the effect of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) and 5-HT receptor agonists and antagonists on motion sickness.  I don’t pretend to understand the pharmacology or biochemistry of this relationship, but the key words histamine, serotonin, and methysergide are frequently used.  See the following links:

Accordingly, our deep sea fisherman and fellow cluster headache sufferer, MPM, may very well have come across a marvelous sport with the beneficial side effect of being a cluster headache preventative.

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 2:40pm

Drats, I thought I was gonna get to get a script for a waterbed (always wanted one of those things!). Wink

I've been on a couple of cruises, but on the first one, I got hit while at sea and that's when I went chronic...  The second one I stayed pretty stable, but didn't notice any difference in my headaches.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 2:49pm

I once went sailing for a couple days while in cycle.  I got hit with a k6 on day two, but it was the only one during the entire trip.  Maybe I should have brought a fishing pole...

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:50am

I go boating every weekend- i don't fish just swim, float, tube, ski etc- the lake gets pretty choppy midday-  I have gone out during cycle- never got hit while out. But my cycle was tapering off - not high cycle-

I have had problems though when wearing sunglasses all day- the pressure of the sides of the glasses squishing into my head all day-causes some shadows. obviously a pretty easy remedy!

definitely always have that rocking motion for a couple hours after.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!