Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treatment that worked for me (Read 1675 times)
lisa_s
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Treatment that worked for me
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:51pm

my name is lisa and I have been getting cluster headaches for 12 years now.  I have finally tried a combo of stuff that actually worked for me! Grin  my doctor (who is absolutely wonderful) started me on about 2 1/2 weeks of prednisone (not a fun drug to take but it kills almost all types of pain) 80mg for 4 days, 60mg for 4 days, 40 mg for about 1 week and 20mg for 4 days.  meanwhile i began taking verrapamil 120mg 4 times a day and 3 meletonin pills a night.  The doctor said the prednisone was to keep me pain free until the verrapamil kicked in.  He didn't want me to take it for so long but i was going on vacation and couldn't chance getting a headache.  about 6 weeks later (about how long my headaches usually last) i stopped taking the verapamil and melatonin and the only headache i got was the very first one that woke me up in the middle of the night.  luckily i was able to get into see my neuro the very next morning!  he did also tell me that md's are now also using some sort of cortisone injection right into the base of the skull (on a tender spot) and in most cases this aborts the cluster.  he wants to try this on me next time...hopefully this is a year or 2 away!  For now i am pain free and feeling fabulous!  Hope this helps some of you! Cheesy

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Re: Treatment that worked for me
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:07pm

Right On Lisa!  That is awesome.

I actually had the cortisone injection in the E.R. some years back.  They also used Narcaine.  It worked pretty good.

The last time I went to the E.R., last May, they were dead against it.  It was a different hospital and the doc had never heard of it.  It was honestly a miserable experience, they were no help at all.  I suggest that if anyone ever wants this done to bring some literature to back it up.  I wish I had...

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:32pm

Hi lisa

thanks for sharing your success and glad you are PF-  verapamil worked for me too-  I took 680  till i was pretty sure my cycle was done then tapered off slowly- 

Isn't it great to find something that works and allows you pf time?

Wishing you more days and nights being pain free-

Kelly

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:07pm

awesome lisa!!!!!!!!!! Smiley

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 4:40am

It's wonderful that you're PF. Smiley

Lots of more PF days your way,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!