Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any words of advice? (Read 1499 times)
crabattk
CH.com Newbie

3 Weeks Into What Feels
Like Forever

Northern California
Any words of advice?
Jul 7th, 2008 at 3:50pm

So it has been over a month now since my attacks started up again. I am becoming extremely depressed and I feel like I am losing the battle. I am having 2 HA per day now!
It seems like the insurance company would rather me visit the ER every night vs approving another imitrex script.
I have my oxygen and if I catch the HA soon enough it works great, but this does not happen very often.
Is there anyone in Northern CA that can relate? Looking for support.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Any words of advice?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 4:09pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are getting raked over the coals.  We've all been there at one time or another.  Getting your butt kicked twice daily isn't any fun.  Now repeat after me:

I WILL SURVIVE!!!! 

Scream that to yourself in the mirror a few times if necessary.

Can you describe to me how you are using O2?  There are lots of ways to improve your technique and the odds of aborting that way.  It does take a bit of practice.  There are some great tips in the supplemental guide on OUCH-US here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I find I can almost always knock the beast down with O2.  However I do get reattacks.  Combining O2 therapy with energy drinks really helps keep them to a minimum.

Are you using any preventatives?  Verapamil was the trick for me the last cycle.  I'm hoping it works as well this August when I'm due for my next ass wooping.

I'm sure Linda and Guiseppi will be along soon.  They are up in your neck of the woods.  I'm in the Boston area myself.

In the mean time, I'm here and I'm listening...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 4:27pm

I just went back and read your intro in the "Getting to know you" section.

240mg of Verapamil is a pretty low dose.  It took me 400mg to get relief this past cycle.  Some folks need to go over 1000mg.  

You also said you were having difficulty getting O2 covered by your insurance.  I guess you've got that figured out.  Good!

Are you using a non-rebreather mask?
Are you using a flow rate between 12-15lpm?

Make sure the mask is making a good seal to your face.  Don't let any room air in.  Make sure the seals on the sides of the mask are working.  If one is missing, tape over.

Sometimes if the beast is being stubborn I take in as much pure O2 as my lungs can handle and then hold for a 10 count.  You do this by breathing in everything in the bag, pausing while it fills again and then sucking that down too. Let your breath out slowly and repeat this a couple of times.  I think having the O2 in your lungs for longer than a typical breath can help.

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2008 at 4:28pm by DennisM1045 »  

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Get tough and kick some demon ass.
Dont let the bastard get ya down.
I hate it for ya. Demon butt whoopin vibes comin your way. Smiley
thebb

IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 10:14pm

crabattk,

Since I've been hit again for the first time in eight years, I may not have all the best suggestions on meds etc.  All I can do is offer my support and a little background.  A little over two weeks ago, I started getting hit with level 10 headaches that lasted an hour each. Averaging about 2-3 per night.  After a week or so of misery, I found a neurologist that had compassion and some understanding of this pain. From there, I started taking Verapamil, Melatonin, depakote and Prova.  The past week since starting this plan, I've had two level nines in a one week period.  It's mostly been level 3 to 4 since.  I've found once I start getting a headache during the day, cold wet towels on my back seems to help cool me off and lesson the length of the attack.  With that said, this is during the day.  As with myself, the depression and feeling desperate was with the severe night attacks.  All I can say about that is with the right meds and doctors advice, hopefully, you can limit the attacks and severity.  I didn't think it was possible and now, with them not coming full strength every night, my spirits have been lifted 10 fold.

Point is, you can beat this beast. 

Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help.

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 4:42am

sorry to hear that you're suffering. i totally get how depressing it gets being is pain so often.
have you tried prednisone to prevent them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!