Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BEE STINGS (Read 2154 times)
PAT
CH.com Newbie

Rochester, New York
BEE STINGS
Jul 7th, 2008 at 4:43pm

My fiance has had clusters since he was 30 & he's now 47.  We've been together for 7 years so I'm pretty familiar with his patterns and episodes.  This year's episode has been particularly brutal but we were through to where we thought we were finally on the end run (48 hours+ with no headache). 
Then, on Sunday, he was stung by a bee and within about 2 hours or so had a very bad cluster.  He isn't allergic to bee stings as a rule and doesn't normally have much of a reaction at all.  (but...FYI...this is the first time either of us remember him being stung during a cycle).  We assume the bee sting was the trigger, but are wondering if anyone else has had this happen and were there any residual effects?

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: BEE STINGS
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 10:49pm

I'm no doctor, but the allergic reactions I've seen to bee stings occurred in a very short period of time. 

I'm guessing that the sting and the attack were separate incidents, and their proximity in time is simple coincidence--but I certainly wouldn't take a bet on it either way.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 1:52am

Just a thought!
Is it possible the bee sting caused histamine levels in his body to rise and in turn causing the hit?

IP Logged

PAT
CH.com Newbie

Rochester, New York
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:24am

That's what we were thinking, that the histamine may have been the trigger/contributed somehow and wondered if anyone had suggestions to counteract that; just any benadryl type treatment I guess?

He has very good luck while on prednesone but as soon as he weans off, back they come with a vengeance.  The Docs, of course, don't want to give him any more prednesone.  Another reason we were glad we thought we were almost through until the bee sting  Undecided

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:33am

Pat, Is he on any preventative?  Predisone is usually taken along with a prevent to give some pf time until the preventative has time to build up in the system.

IP Logged

PAT
CH.com Newbie

Rochester, New York
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:44am

Yes - he's on lithium as well.  Takes Imitrex or Maxalt for the attacks as well as oxygen.  (The oxygen alone helps sometimes but not all.) 

This has been the longest/most intense episode he's ever had.  The Docs think because of his age he may be nearing the end, but have told him they realize that isn't much of a comfort when you're in one of the worst you've ever had!   They also believe this cycle may be nearing the chronic category whereas he has previously been considered episodic.    Started in Jan or Feb of this year.  Since May have been very active, no set times, durations, intensities that type of thing.  They did mess around with his meds, too, which seem to make things worse.

We wondered for awhile there if we were going to be able to go on when they finally gave him prednesone again and it was like a miracle.   We thought the cycle was finally broken....but alas not.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:31am

Hoping it was just a bump on the road to remission.

Even when a person isn't allergic to bee stings, there is a toxin in the sting that can increase inflammation and disturb calcium metabolism - that is a normal response, which can be mild or not so mild.  I wouldn't be surprised if a sting was a trigger for someone who was in cycle.  Taking an antihistamine right after the sting might help some.

I haven't been stung in years, and don't remember being stung in cycle. Anyone else have experience to share?? 

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:20pm

I have no idea about bee sting and its effect on CH but its interesting to note that bee venom has been used medicinally for ages in the treatment of inflammatory and circulatory diseases.
Some research suggests a powerefull neurological effect on inflamed nerves and can cause excessive dilation of blood vessels, increase heartbeat and respiration.

So though a bee sting may cause local inflammation it is also said that the venom has strong anti-inflammatory compounds against issues like arthritis for instance.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:26pm by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!