Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Help in getting OXYGEN prescribed (Read 43092 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Help in getting OXYGEN prescribed
Reply #100 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 2:16am

Mike,

You're quite correct...  the NHS HOOF only works in Northern Ireland... 

That said, I've checked some of the Health Service Executive (HSE) Republic of Ireland web sites...  They have a similar HOOF that covers the use of home oxygen therapy.

I've also checked the Baywater Healthcare web site on home oxygen therapy and came up with the following link that clearly states home oxygen therapy can be used for cluster headache.  See the following link and also attached below in pdf format:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've worked with BOC and their parent company, the Linde Group Healthcare Systems in Germany on the use of home oxygen therapy as an abortive for cluster headache since 2007.  As of 2009, home oxygen therapy was approved and covered as an abortive for cluster headache by National Health Care Systems in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and the UK including Northern Ireland.

It appears the Republic of Ireland HSE does provide home oxygen therapy for cluster headache... The problem now is finding a doctor within the HSE who knows about cluster headache and the use of home oxygen therapy as a CH abortive...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (99 KB | 0 )

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #101 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 4:18am

Jaysus Batch, good on you, you know as much about the HSE as some of us here in Ireland  Smiley.
Emma, have you talked to your GP about getting O2, maybe he/she can prescribe it to you.
There is another way of getting O2. O2 is used by people who weld. It is possible to purchase an O2 welding bottle. It works like the gas bottles, you purchase an empty and pay to get it refilled when needed. When buying the O2 bottle, you would also need a regulator, up to 25 litres/minute if possible. All this doesn't come cheap though but you might have a friend that does metal work that might be able to help.
Anyway, soon enough, you will likely hardly need the 02 as you have started on the D3 regimen. I still have the O2 but don't use it much at all. Just a couple of times/year when some shadows show up.
What are you currently taking for the CH? Did your doc give you Zomig?
All the best
Smiley

IP Logged

Emma marie h
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ireland
Reply #102 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 9:02pm

Hi guys,

Wow Batch thank you for taking the time to find all that information Smiley I will take a copy of the Baywater Healthcare pdf with me to my next doctors appointment.

I did mention the 02 to my doctor a few weeks ago, he just dismissed it. I was still just learning everything for the first time so I just let it go.

My first appointment after my diagnosis I was given 10mg amitriptyline. Then the following week after doing some research I went back with a print off about 02 and sumatripton injections. He decided then to put me on 25mg amitripyline and he gave me the sumatripton nasal sprays(they do work but they take about 20mins and I only have 6 for the week Sad). I will ask for the 02 again on Tuesday at my appointment. Peter has looked in to it for me as well and if I can get my GP to write the prescription I should have no problem getting it Smiley. Thierry I actually have a friend who is a welder, so thanks for letting me know. I will defiantly call him if it doesn't go well with my GP. Or the Vit D might start working for me (day2 now) and at least then I wont be too dependent on getting the 02.

Thanks again Guys Smiley

emma  
IP Logged

jk247g
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #103 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:40pm

Great post. Wish I had read this before my doc appointment where when I asked about oxygen, it was dismissed. Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!