Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the CH.com, and happy that I am not alone! (Read 1221 times)
Adam D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to the CH.com, and happy that I am not alone!
Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:46am

I have had cluster headaches since I was in eighth grade.  I just thought they were really really really bad eye aches, but as the years went by, I noticed a familiarity with them, how long they lasted, and how they caused me not to function.  I get them for about a month every 1-2 years.  I am currently having a cluster period, and trying to find a job at the same time. 

I am 24, and just recently graduated with my master's degree.  My doctor currently has me on 50mg of Indomethacin twice a day, and maxalt.  Unfortunately my insurance only covers 6 doses of maxalt for every 30 days.  Thats fantastic seeing as I get 2-3 headaches a day!  I am running out of options, and am finding a hard time getting relief.  My insurance is going to end soon since I am no longer a student.

I have heard good things via forums about Stadol, nasal spray, but my doctor doesn't want to prescribe it to me because it is partially narcotic.  Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck everyone, and my heart goes out to those who have to deal with these year round.  I get a month's worth every couple years, and I can't stand them.  They easily rank a 15 on the 1 - 10 pain scale.  Undecided

Adam

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: New to the CH.com, and happy that I am not alone!
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:03am

Adam, Indocin is not appropriate for Cluster (but is effective for a small sub-group of related headache.)

Stadol is an extreme last resort only. Pain meds are not used for Cluster because they are not especially effective, have tolerance problems, and the newer abortives are much more effective.

Your doc can intervene with the insurance to get more meds. See OUCH site (left) and you will find some information on this issue.

Explore these two links (even print them for your doc). They list the most current thinking on treating Cluster and the Michigan site has some useful articles. IF your doc can't get the ins. co. to increase the Maxalt, talk to him about a trial of Zyprexa (olanzapine) listed in these lists of meds. It's very effective as an abortive and the cost per dose is less than the triptans.
-----------

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:04am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: New to the CH.com, and happy that I am not alone!
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:20pm

Welcome to the board, glad you found us. Stick witht his board and you will never be alone with these things again. Bob has given you some awesome reading, get busy with it! We have a saying on the board that the effectiveness of your treatment is up to you. Educate yourself and assist your doctor in managing your care. Plopping yourself down in front of your doc and saying "save me" is just setting yourself up for a lot of pain. Wishing you a short cycle!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Adam D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Thank you all
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:23pm

Thank you so much Bob.  You definitely know a lot more about these than my doctor, and I never would of thought of Zyprexa.  I used to be on it when my old doctor thought I was bipolar (turned out to be generalized anxiety disorder, and am now on xanax as needed).  

Now that I think about it, I went through the longest period of time without the clusters when I was taking Zyprexa regularly.  Ironically enough, I threw out my 120 pills that I had kept for years about 2 weeks ago when I moved out of my old house.

Thanks again to everyone.  You guys are intelligent, resourceful, and very supportive.  I may have pain, but atleast now I have piece of mind.   Grin

Adam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!