Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time for a new Neurologist? (Read 1777 times)
jmonty54
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Time for a new Neurologist?
Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:15am

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice from all you clusterheads out there.

I have been seeing new neurologist for the last five weeks after a move down to San Diego from Santa Barbara. For the most part he seems pretty good, but I am starting to wonder if it is time to start looking for someone else. Although he has been doing a pretty good job of getting me in for nerve injections, I am still feeling strange about the guy. For starters, I haven’t been responding to the Verapamil as well as we had hoped. This isn’t his fault, but won’t even talk about what other options there are. He just keeps telling me to up the dose. I know you can go high with the Verapamil dosing, but come on!

I guess I could live with this, but the guy doesn’t seem concerned about my quality for life. The last three weeks have been particularly nasty and during our last appointment I told him that I was concerned as I have a really busy two months coming work-wise (grad student/playwright by trade). I told him that if this keeps up I didn’t know how I was going to meet my obligations and asked what strategies we could come up with to get me through the coming months.
He reaction shocked me a little.

He told me that I shouldn’t do anything.

Nothing. He literally told me, give up, go on disability, and stop living my life.

He then went on to tell me that we were going to try not doing any pain management and told me he would see me on the 22nd for a new appointment.

I think my answer is pretty clear, but I wanted to see what everyone thought.

Thanks for all the feed back on the last post!

Jmonty54

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:15am by jmonty54 »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Time for a new Neurologist?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:39am

Yep.  Time to fire his a$$.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:19am

Is he using reverse psychology?  kind of like when i am trying to get my kids to do something they don't want to do or are afraid to try and i say"  I know there is no way you can...... forget about it-  you need to wait i guess"  works like a charm...

Is it possible that he is  saying that the alternative to the verap is just to do nothing hoping that you won't ever want to do that and therefore stick with the verap?   
at any rate-  the visit shouldn't leave you frustrated and confused but rather hopeful and trusting that you will get relief.  and that there are other things to try if the first tx method isn't successful in getting you some PF times.

What dose of verap are you on and what are your side effects so far?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:14am

It's not unusual to have to increase Verap dosing more than once to find an effective level, PLUS your body needs time to adjust to each change. This is the hard period with CH: need for patience until you find a set of meds which are working.

But, if you decide to change docs:

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus

Stuck in the middle with
you!

x1|Edwardsville|USA|usa|351|159|IL,Illinois
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:37am

Yes, I believe it's time to find a new neuro!  If Verap is all he has in his bag of tricks, then he's not well informed on CH.  And don't give up!  These things are manageable!!!

What kind of aborts are you using?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&
kimmiedawn8199 kimmiedawn21  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:47am

Not only does he sound like a lousy doctor, he sounds like an asshat of a human being.

Talk to Guiseppi - he's in San Diego, and I believe he has a good doc.

IP Logged

jmonty54
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:19am

Thanks everyone for the responses they are really helpful.

To answer a couple questions posted by everyone:

1.      I am on 500mg of Verap. and I haven’t had many side effects. Although this has be hard to gauge with as sick as I have been in the last few weeks.
2.      Outside of 02, I don’t do anything abortive. I have multiple drug allergies, which make it difficult for me to try medications.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!