Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
s Please help...I am new here and a bit scared. (Read 2217 times)
mypoorhusband
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

s Please help...I am new here and a bit scared.
Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:51am

Hello all,

My husband is a 10+ year sufferer.  I was there when he had his first episode and I truly thought he was going to die...what an awful feeling to be so completely helpless.

After many years of incorrect diagnoses and medications, we finally found a nuerologist who actually understood what my husband was going through and diagnosed him.

My husband has been finding quick relief with Imitrex injections for approximately 5 years, the medication has truly given us our life back.  He usually has attacks every six to eight weeks that last for approximately 3-4 weeks with anywhere from 2-5 attacks a day (I am not sure what you guys call them.)  During those times he always uses an injection (obviously WAY OVER the recommended dosage).

Now comes my concern, I have been a silent watcher on this board for several years and now I need some help.  My husband liver tests have come back very high and the doctor has told him that he has alcoholic liver disease, the problem is he is not a heavy drinker.  When I asked about the effects of long term imitrex injections she told me there could be no relation and pushed it aside? 

Can anyone help.

Thanks so much and I am happy to be here.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Re: s Please help...I am new here and a bit scared.
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:04pm

If you are worried about imitrex, Id contact your pharmacist and talk to him/her.  Also, there are online sites to consult.  I think (anyone want to help me here) that you shouldnt take more than 2 doses of imitrex inside of 24 hours.

Welcome aboard.

Has he tried Oxygen yet?

Sorry for the scattered thoughts, I am on a work call.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:13pm

I am neither a doctor nor a medical field person so take this for what it's worth, I've never seen any postings relating imitrex use to this type liver problem. There are some doctors/very knowledgeable medical people who should be along shortly to give you some more input, that being said....

There is NO WAY imitrex should be his only line of defense. He should have some type of preventative, that's a medication you take while you are on cycle to reduce the intensity and frequency of your attacks. I use lithium, other popular prevents are topomax, verapamil, some combine the verapamil and lithium to get the desired relief.

Your first line abortive should be oxygen. Pure 02, using a non re breather mask, at a high flow rate, at least 15 LPM. Will abort an attack for me in as little as 6 minutes, that's COMPLETELY  pain free in 6 minutes. No limits on how often you can use it, no nasty side affects, MUCH cheaper then imitrex.

Get your hubby on this board, you will not find a more comprehensive collection of CH knowledge anywhere.

By the way, you are a saint for being a supporter. My wife has stuck with me thru 28 years of these damned things, I'd be lost without her.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

mypoorhusband
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Thanks for your thoughts.  We both know that the Imitrex is risky but he needs immediate relief due to his job.  He has tried the O2, no help.

Thanks for welcoming me.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:17pm

What else does he take???  As said above, most of us take a few meds for different reasons.  I look lithium and used O2 or Maxalt MLT or in last resort Zyprexa for abortives.  I have tried cafergot, topamax, verapomil, and melatonin.

What has he tried and what does he take?

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

mypoorhusband
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:18pm

I am sorry that I waited so long to write in.  It is nice to have others understand the daily struggle with these damn things...We keep hoping he will outgrow them but I don't think that will happen.  I am sorry I forgot to mention that he does take Topomax, although he says it messes his stomach up.  Unfortunately due to his job he is very limited in what he is allowed to take, due to there classifications.

Thanks again for understanding and give your wife a "high-5" from me, it takes a huge amount of dedication and support to make it through.

IP Logged

mypoorhusband
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:21pm

I really can't recall of the medications that he has tried over the years.  I do know that currently when he starts an episode he takes a 7 day course of prednisone and topomax to abort the cycle, and imitrex to abort the headaches.  Homeopathically he has tried the water treatment as well as O2.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:29pm

mypoorhusband wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:14pm:
He has tried the O2, no help.

I can promise you are ever so welcome here, darlin'.  Anyone who'll stand by a CHead is a friend of ours straight-away.

Regarding the O2, there's many to use it to magnificent effect.  There's also ways to use it where you may as well go wee-wees into the wind. 

Over on the left of your screen is a yellow-highlighted button marked 'oxygen info'.  Have a good read through that, ask as many questions as you like, and we'll see if we can't get you sorted.

Importantly, are you taking time for yourself?

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:29pm

Im not a fan of topomax, but if it works, awesome.  Verapomil or even lithium should be fine to take.  Verapomil is a blood pressure med, I cant believe its classification would be a problem.

I do use hot showers or ice packs too.  Basically anything I can find, I'll try.

kepp us up to date adn keep asking questions and reading.

Smiley

IP Logged

blawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:51pm

We took my CH off of the TOPOMAX, he had horrible side effects, I thought I was going to have to rush him to the hospital but the verapamil seems to work wonders which in turn makes the O2 work better. 

Keep us posted!! We are always here!!!
Love,
Brooke

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:40pm

Headache. 2004 Feb;44(2):178-82. 

Frequent triptan use: observations on safety issues.

Robbins L.

Department of Neurology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. 60062, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the safety of frequent triptan use over extended periods. For a small group of patients with refractory migraine plus chronic daily headache, triptans are effective. METHODS: This retrospective study primarily evaluated the cardiac safety of daily triptan use in 118 patients and, in addition, hematologic tests were assessed. Each patient had utilized a triptan for a minimum of 4 days per week for at least 6 months. Patients with rebound headache had been withdrawn from the triptans. Most patients (97 of 118) averaged 1 tablet daily; most would occasionally go for several days without a triptan. Forty patients had taken a triptan for 6 months to 2 years, 37 patients from 2 to 4 years, and 41 for 4 or more years. RESULTS: Routine hematologic tests were performed periodically on all patients, and no abnormalities were attributable to triptans. Almost all patients had an electrocardiogram, and no abnormal electrocardiograms were felt to be related to triptans. Cardiac echocardiography was performed in 57 patients. The 10 abnormal echocardiograms were not due to triptans. All 20 cardiac stress tests revealed normal findings. Adverse events were minimal; 9 patients described fatigue due to triptans, and 5 had mild chest tightness. CONCLUSION: This long-term study of 118 patients indicates that frequent triptan use may be relatively safe.

PMID: 14756859 [PubMed ]
====================================================================
Funct Neurol. 2000 Jul-Sep;15(3):167-70.

Sumatriptan overuse in episodic cluster headache: lack of adverse events, rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis.

Centonze V, Bassi A, Causarano V, Dalfino L, Cassiano MA, Centonze A, Fabbri L, Albano O.

Dept of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, University of Bari, Italy.

This observational study was designed to examine the pattern of sumatriptan use in patients with cluster headache using more than the recommended daily dose of subcutaneously injected (s.c.) sumatriptan. Thirteen patients suffering from episodic cluster headache were asked to record the characteristics of their attacks and drug intake for 1 year. All reported a high daily frequency of attacks (more than 3 per day) and the related overuse of s.c. sumatriptan. The results show that the overall incidence of adverse events among patients receiving sumatriptan injections for the treatment of cluster headache is low. The extended administration of this drug in episodic cluster headache did not result in tolerance problems or tachyphylaxis. Only 4 patients experienced minor adverse events and recovered more slowly than the others. They suffered from migraine without aura and cluster headache, and showed a family history of migraine. Even though they must be viewed with caution, due to the observational nature of the study and the low number of patients included, these results suggest that the profile of sumatriptan may differ in cluster headache compared with migraine.

PMID: 11062845 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!