Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil & sex... Please help! (Read 4258 times)
jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Verapamil & sex... Please help!
Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:20am

Hey all!
I haven't been around for a few years, but I'm back!! I have just started Verapamil on this cycle (was on Prednisone before), and it's going pretty well, I guess...
I was reading through other posts, and stumbled onto one that mentioned Verapamil and loss of libido. Is it true? I don't take that much; I'm on the short acting "version" since I'm still breastfeeding, so I take 3 - 80mg pills a day, that I have to take right after a feeding. But lately, I feel really "uninterested"... I mean, my boyfriend and I usually have a great sex life, and now, it's next to none, and not for lack of trying on his part. My attacks are mostly at night, and are pretty controlled with the meds & O2, so it's not like I don't get any sleep. I just feel so bad, because I can't explain it.
Sorry if it's too much information, but having to deal with the beast, I don't want to add more stress, KWIM? I don't remember reading loss of libido as a possible side effect for Verapamil...
Thanks for any responses!
Jess

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Verapamil & sex... Please help!
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 10:59am

It could be just a lingering case of minor Post Partem (sp?) Depression.

I have never heard of verapamil effecting the sex drive.  I HAVE heard that it has caused a few cases of ED (erectile dysfunction) in men.  But even that was only temporary.

But drive, no ....

Remember, I am NOT a doctor ... just a preeeeeevert.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:06am

Can't be postpartum depression.... My baby is almost a year and a half old!!! I forgot to mention that in my previous post!

It was a long shot... Maybe I'm just feeling under the weather, with all that has been going on.

Thanks for your response though!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Hi Jess,

When I'm in cycle I take 400mg of immediate release verapamil a day.  Verapamil does't "get in the way" at this level.  Though it might at a higher level.  What bothers me more is the pain and lack of sleep.  I'm male so you'll have to take this for what it's worth  Wink 

It is hard to be intimate when you are worried about the next hit and exhausted from being up the previous night.  Interrupted sleep is rough over the long haul.  Add a kid or two into the mix and low libido isn't hard to figure out.  Does your baby sleep through the night?  If so, does your husband help or sleep through?

My wife and I have 10 children.  We're out of the baby phase now (my youngest is 5) but I remember what getting up a time or two in the middle of the night did to our interest in sex.  It certainly didn't help.

In fact my four youngest kids have had the flu in the last week so we've been up once a night with them lately.  My Son woke me up Saturday morning at 1:30 at the same time the beast was ramping up.  Andrea got him back to bed in about 20 minutes but I didn't get there till 3am.  Sunday morning was more of the same.  All either of us was thinking about last night was sleep Wink

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 2:41pm

Thanks Denis!
My little boy sometimes sleep through the night, sometimes he doesn't... With the hits being only nocturnal, it surely doesn't help. My husband tries to help me; he'll get up for the baby even though he gets up at 5AM to go to work, and he'll try to stay awake with me while I'm on the O2 tank, just for moral support. He's really great that way.
Like you said, I guess it's just the stress getting to me. And constantly thinking about when the next attack will start doesn't help either... But hey, that's my life, can't change it, so I guess I'll have to get used to it!! And considering we're trying for another baby, I really don't have a choice!!
Have a nice one!
Jess

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 2:48pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:45pm:
In fact my four youngest kids have had the flu in the last week so we've been up once a night with them lately.  My Son woke me up Saturday morning at 1:30 at the same time the beast was ramping up.  Andrea got him back to bed in about 20 minutes but I didn't get there till 3am.  Sunday morning was more of the same.  All either of us was thinking about last night was sleep
Wink

Nature's birth control.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 2:55pm

I'm single with no girlfriend and no immediate prospects. Maybe I need to ask my neurologist for some of that stuff....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!