Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my complete story (Read 3686 times)
Karl
Ex Member

my complete story
Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:48am

Well after educating myself on this site and the links, I feel I can finally speak with some coherence about myself and the condition that I share with all of you. I also have pm’d george and a couple others and they have been a great help. So here is deal one  story instead of fragments. Please forgive me a bit I am in mid cycle now as George would tell you and I have been building up to do this.
  I fell from a cliff when I was 13 or so and soon after developed these awful headaches that would bring me too tears and make me do weird stuff as I tried to tell the Dr’s then.
That’s when I first met this awful beast. I wrestled with it throughout my 20’s about 2-3 times a year. In the U.S. NAVY they poked around a lot and then started to give me ergotamine only find out that I was allergic cause my kidneys tried to shut down.
  My late 20’s the beast changed (morphed) and only came to me maybe once a year and I thought cool I can do this. Only to figure out it was resting for what was to come. All the while I never knew it was CH.
When I turned 39 it came to call again with a vengeance (morphed) for the last 6 years now I have had this crap only to learn what it was just recently.
Not all my symptoms match what I read but most do.
Mine are most exclusively on the left side and go from behind the eye to the temple. The bad ones involve the base of the skull and that’s where that little bump shows up. (Which I didn’t know was there till George had me check thanks and ice helped). Most of my attacks are early morning and daytime but very clockwork like. Mine are actually quite short in duration usually but not always, however I get high numbers of attacks than most.
   I do get some nighttime ones but since I had a Dr put me on trazadone (high dose) I do pretty good with those, mostly the characters in my dreams have headaches (how weird).
  My regimen is O2 15 Lpm for 15-20 min, real strong coffee or energy drink, zomig dissolving kind, solitude if possible and prayer usually pleading.

Prevenative is topamax highest dose plus gabapentin

Cycle is pf about 2 months or less

Definite triggers: extreme pronged heat, alcohol (red wine), to many honey do’s (just kidding)

Odd things I get colored prism’s in my eye’s for a day or so before a cycle begins but no pain..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register homepic.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Re: my complete story
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:11am

Hi Karl,

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear you have finally found a name for your pain, it takes a little edge off when you know its name!!

PFD to all

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:30am

Welcome home Karl!  I'm glad you finally found us.  Sounds like you've already made some connections.  That's great!  Let us know how we can help.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:40am

Hi Karl.....Welcome!

I too get colored prisms.  I thought that they were ocular migraines but someone here pointed out that they thought they might be "silent hits."  After a few days of them, I did have two nighttime hits.  ( real ones though only about kip 6 or so). 

Just wanted to say hello and that that I hope that the beast leaves you soon.

Take care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:13pm

it took me while to figuare out the connection of the prisms. thought i was the only one, guess not!!! yes the real hits come soon after. when i get them now I start setting up.

IP Logged

swimchica623
CH.com Old Timer

Get hit.  Hit back harder.
 That's life.

Ocean Pines, MD, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:21pm

i get the color prisms too.  i actually got them for about three months every morning before getting CH at all, and now they come randomly during the day during quiet times before things get a little picked up again.  someone said something about the optical nerve pressing again the trigeminal neve being the cause...
Lisa

swimchica623 swimchica623  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 2:40pm

Houdy from Montana Karl. Welcome
thebb

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 9:30am

Welcome Karl, Sorry you have to be here, but tis the place to be with CH.....

I get "auras" (just started a few months ago after years of NOT getting them) - they're weird, but I'm getting used to them.

What dose of topamax and trazadone are you on?  I've been on that since 99 and it's helped me (most of the time), but still have "high cycles" where not much (except O2) helps.

Melatonin (12-15mg) at night has helped with the night hits (been on it for several years now). Occasionally one will break thru, but most of the time I sleep thru the night without the dance. Energy drinks help abort if I get to it on the very first sign.

But O2 is my lifeline for aborting....

Stick around -- we're a pretty good bunch of folks - little strange but a pretty good bunch...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 2:00am

Hi Karl, just wanna say welcome here and thank you for sharing.

Don't get migraine-like aura's, but what does occassionally happen is that in the minutes before I get hit, colors seem brighter and more saturated. Probably just because I get oversensitive to visual input, but they are (one of the) prelimenary.

Drop by some time, stranger!

Pf vibes at ya from the Netherlands!

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 3:57pm

hello everyone:
sorry i have been real out of it, but the hits have been really tough. plus I have been trying to work through them, I have a couple people at work that know me well enough and when one comes they run to the coffee shop and buy me an espresso quad or an energy drink now (ill explain)
first to answer some questions. I take 200mg trazadone at bedtime, and I take 5mg dissolving zomig and up to 2 at a time, I think its five whatever the highest is anyway!!!
the auroras are really more like colored little prisms that float in my  eyes for days before the painful hits start, someone here suggested they were actually ch hits without the pain and my dr agreed.
  speaking of my dr. I finally gave in and went to him wimpering like a baby and he gave me trex. it worked fairly well but only till the next hit. considering the cost and the fact the veterans hospital won't pay for it ,its not much of an option. especially when the zomig which they do pay for does pretty good.
however thanks to ch.com i have found the energy drink idea and wow that helps. so i have changed my routine to zomig,oxygen,energy drink and prayer. not necesarily in that order.

don't worry cause i haven't posted much latley i haven't left and i know pf days are coming, this site is a real life line for me and your support means everything, if you ever think whats the use please remember that someone needs you to make a difference in their day or life.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register shadow_and_lurking.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 6:49pm

Good to hear from you Karl, and we'll look forward to hearing more from you when you're able.  I know how difficult it can be to keep everything going when you're in the midst of a cycle--it really tests your resources, and sometimes there's just nothing left in the tank at the end of the day.

Glad that you've found a treatment regimen that's providing you some relief, and I hope you can refine it in times ahead. 

If you have not yet done so, I'd encourage you to take a look at the "Help in Getting Oxygen Prescribed" thread that has just been pinned at the top of the Medications and Treatments board--there's lots of updated information there on increasing the effectiveness of the oxygen you use.

Hang in there, my friend--better days are coming.

All the best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 9:07pm

When you all are talking about "colored prisms", are you talking about stuff like this?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I see from looking around on the net today, that migrainous auras like this are uncommon, but not unknown in CH.  I didn't know that. 

Come to think of it, I've had something like this occur a few times, but I never associated it with anything--there was never any pain involved, nor was it followed by a hit.  I just blew it off, since it went away.  (Just the "Matrix" leaking through the illusion, you know.)  <smile>

By the way, there's a very good article on migraine in this month's issue of Scientific American.  Sure--CH isn't migraine, but there's some crossover, and most of the drugs that clusterheads take are migraine hand-me-downs.  So it's interesting reading.  Just FYI, if you're interested.  I'd cite the thing, but the article's not available online without a subscription.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:08pm

sordof
mine are much much smaller and lots and lots of them and bright rainbow like colors. they float across my visual field. i will pm you with more detail and any one else thats interested.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 10:15pm

Yeah, you got me interested Karl. Would love to know some more.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:26am

I found a little better picture that represents what i see before a cycle begins, but still off the mark a ways . these prisms start about a week before without fail before a cycle and in a way are appreciated by me because its warning for me and i can start to prepare.  hope this help i would like to learn more myself about this.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register migraine-aura-7781.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:50am

Just so we're all on the same page, Karl, you're not talking about "floaters", are you?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Clumped bits of vitreous humor.  Just speculating here, but if so, I suppose the onset of a cycle could change the consistency or protein level of the vitreous humor, resulting in an increase in the number of floaters.  I don't know, actually.  Just guessing.

By the way, if floaters are accompanied by flashes of light, a trip to the eye doctor is in order.  I see that it can be a symptom of "vitreous detachment", whatever that is.

If we're not talking about floaters, then nevermind.   Wink

Best,

George

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 2:39pm

swimchica623 wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:21pm:
someone said something about the optical nerve pressing again the trigeminal neve being the cause...

Dr. Egon Spengler: I have a radical idea. The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.

Dr. Peter Venkman: How?

Dr. Egon Spengler: We'll cross the streams.

Dr. Peter Venkman: 'Scuse me Egon? You said crossing the streams was bad!

Dr Ray Stantz: Cross the streams...

Dr. Peter Venkman: You're gonna endanger us, you're gonna endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog...

Dr. Egon Spengler: Not necessarily. There's definitely a *very slim* chance we'll survive.

Dr. Peter Venkman: I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! LET'S DO IT!

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:52am

i wouldn't think so George; but these prism do cross my visual field usually 6 or so at time and they go away when the ch starts, i love the post that some left about the ghostbusters and crossing the fields. i thought it was funny,
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:03am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!