Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lithium? (Read 3308 times)
ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Anybody seen Mighty Manfred?

x0|Tullahoma|USA||0|0|TN,Tennessee
Lithium?
Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:39pm

Dr. is going to try lithium on me.  Any side effects?  Anything to watch out for?

Thanks,
Allen Joe

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Lithium?
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 8:39pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 8:55pm

Takes about 2 weeks to get up to a therapeudic level in my system. Takes a couple of blood draws while they figure out how fast and effectively your body processes it. The link Brew gave you lists all the things to watch out for. At the doses we take it at we don't usually see any of them. That being said, make sure those closest to you know what to watch for as YOU may not be aware of them. And it's not a med you play free and easy with, you do not raise or lower your doseage, or stop cold turkey, without specific advice of your doctor!

For me it blocks 80-90% of my attacks, has totally given me my life back again and I haven't suffered any of the "possible" side effects yet. You pee a lot the first 2 weeks, it is a salt after all. And you notice a slight lethargy, but nothing a cup of coffee won't knock out. The visions of a drooling, walking Zombie are over rated I assure you!

Wishing you the same suucess I've njoyed with it.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:51pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jul 18th, 2008 at 8:55pm:
Takes about 2 weeks to get up to a therapeudic level in my system. Takes a couple of blood draws while they figure out how fast and effectively your body processes it.  At the doses we take it at we don't usually see any of them. That being said, make sure those closest to you know what to watch for as YOU may not be aware of them. And it's not a med you play free and easy with, you do not raise or lower your doseage, or stop cold turkey, without specific advice of your doctor!

I took Lithium everyday for 14 years. Joe just said most of what your doc will tell you!

But, push your doc if you have more questions.....We are not docs.  Wink

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 10:00pm

Quote:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Maybe its just me, bro....but that link would scare the shit out of me if I had never taken Lith.

"Lithium carbonate is an important industrial chemical. It forms low-melting fluxes with silica and other materials. Glasses derived from lithium carbonate are useful in ovenware. Cement sets more rapidly when prepared with lithium carbonate, as is useful for tile adhesives. When added to aluminium trifluoride, it forms LiF which gives a superior electrolyte for the processing of aluminium.[1] It is also used in the manufacture of most lithium-ion battery cathodes, which are made of lithium cobalt oxide."

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 7:46pm

Don't want to make another thread:
how much time did it take for you to "kick in" (start working)?

I saw Guiseppi's post (Takes about 2 weeks to get up to a therapeudic level in my system.) but I am interested in more opinions.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:39pm

That's about right - 10-14 days. Many here will start a prednisone taper that lasts about a week to 10 days at the same time. The prednisone starts working almost immediately, then you taper off of it as the lithium kicks in.

And yes, there are many uses outside of pharmacopia for lithium. When I take it, it forms a low-melt flux inside me 'cause I'm so hot.

(I can't believe I just wrote that)

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:41pm

And yes, there are many uses outside of pharmacopia for lithium. When I take it, it forms a low-melt flux inside me 'cause I'm so hot.

Ummm....thas messed up....... Undecided

Guiseppi

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:41pm:

Ummm....thas messed up....... Undecided

Guiseppi

No, the San Diego Padres - now THAS messed up. Albert Pujols is like Kryptonite to them. And when that doesn't work, he just beats the crap out of 'em.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 12:16am

Hey at least we're not in last place!!!! In ALL of baseball....at least I THINK the Washington Nationals are a few percentage points worse........well...it's something...... Cry

Guiseppi.....the VERY sad padre fan!

IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 11:54pm

Just finished taking the lithium.  4 doses over 2 days.  Man does it ever make me pee!!!  TMI!!!!  I bet I got up @ 5 times in the middle of the night.   haha

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:47pm

I just started taking this too. It gave me the diarhea (TMI) and I couldnt leave the house for 2 days. It also makes me sleep alot. The bathroom troubles have eased up but I am still dog tired.
Sophia Embarrassed

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:14pm

The "pee a lots" end after the first 2 weeks, never had the runs thank goodness! The trade off was worth it, no headaches! Hope it works as well for you.

Guiseppi

IP Logged

ajarmstrong
CH.com Junior

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:38pm

Not that I'm glad someone else is going through the same thing, but it does help to know that someone else is.  I'm not complaining, but man oh man.  I get to sleep and then I have to pee.  Donna and I laugh and laugh about it.  I'm like some old man dragging out of bed to go to the bathroom.  Oh my!!!  How long can I lay here until I REALLY have to go.  You know the drill!!! 

Anyway!  I'm going to start back to work this next week.  Going to be working from home since I still can't drive.  Just too hard with the sun and heat driving 80 miles there and then 80 miles back home each day.  Especially with the light bouncing off windshields and all.  I'd be wondering if I'd make it there or home each day.  So the doctor says to work from home for now.  My supervisor is trying to find me something to do from home.  Hoping it is writing specs or report layouts.  My favorite.  Because I get to design and write at the same time.  Or I could monitor things at night while Donna works.  She's a medical transcriptionist and does the bulk of her work at night.  I like to sit up with her and talk and laugh.  But only if I don't have the head  attacks!!!  She said she's seen me go through hell and back several times!!

ajarmstrong  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!