Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
am i a clusterhead? (Read 1944 times)
kitay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

am i a clusterhead?
Jul 23rd, 2008 at 4:53am

hello everyone!

i'm kitay, 24 years old and i'm from the philippines.

the first time i've experienced these strange headaches was when i was 12 but it only lasted a week. i was free from it for years, that is until i reached my junior year in college. i was 19 when i started having these headaches that no one seems to understand. that was back in 2003. i've been having these headaches for five years now and i kind of lost faith in doctors.
to describe my headaches, it feels like someone forcefully trying to gouge my right eye. the impact of which radiates through the surrounding areas, my scalp, right temple, right cheek, neck, jaw, teeth hurt. my right eye would tear up while my left eye remains dry. i imagined i must have freaked out my classmates back in college. i look like i came out of the horror movie the ring. i'd get the sniffles on my right nostril but it would be gone by the time an attack stops. an average attack would last about 30 minutes, sometimes more. i have two attacks per day, one in the morning, at around 9 am, and one in the evening at around 12 or 1 am. in between attacks, i feel this heaviness on my head. it's hard to describe, like it's a headache but not quite. relatively mild but annoying because it's hard to tell whether it'll turn into a full blow headache or not. and the worst part is, these headaches happen for an average of one month, everyday. i call these times my migraine month. it usually occurs in the rainy season, around july. i went to the doctor back in 2005 and he diagnosed me as a migraine sufferer. he said that getting migraines everyday, twice a day, for a whole month isn't normal and urges me to seek psychiatric help. i didn't but i did try out the anti-depressants that he prescribed. i mean, he is a doctor, i though he must be on to something.
i read up about migraine and tried to follow some of the tips i've seen. i tried lying down during an attack but i feel as if the pain is worst in that position. i'm used to walking around when i have my headaches. i also stopped drinking coffee during attacks, again, the effects were not desirable. from my usual 30 minute attacks, the pain would stretch on to an hour or sometimes 2 hours. the worst was the anti-depressant. it made me sleepy all the time and i feel that sleep and my headaches are somewhat related. my attacks became more frequent. i started having attacks at midday. and also, my so called migraine month stretched on for another 2 weeks. my doctor said it was rebound headaches and accused me of being a junkie so i cut down on my ergot and tried to just bear the pain. no effect. what's worst is my remission period was cut down from a year to a couple of months. after just 2 or 3 months, i had another "migraine month". i got an MRI and it came out normal. my doctor came to the conclusion that we should up the dosage of the anti-depressant. at this point, i was very mad. i told him that the anti-depressants made me sleepy and i think it aggravated my attacks more than anything else...he didn't even bother to listen or look into that. i was so mad and in excruciating pain that i did something that i would normally not do, shout at the doctor, told him he doesn't know what he's doing, and walked out. i haven't visited a doctor since.
after reading stuff about cluster headaches, i feel that i can relate to this condition more than i do with migraines. hits the spot...but i always tell myself, i'm not a doctor and i can never know for sure. cluster headaches is something very obscure in my country...from what i heard, it is more common in men (i'm female), and in people who live in colder countries or closer to the poles. (i'm from the philippines).
i've lost hope of ever being diagnosed properly. the MRI came out normal so i figured, at least i don't have a tumor. i have a prescription for ergot, which helps in its own little way. sorry for the long post. i know that no one here can say if i'm a cluster head or not. i just want to know if the things that i've felt, if they somehow feel familiar to you cluster headache sufferers.

and

are cluster headaches not detectable by MRI?

i don't know what to think anymore...but as long as there's ergot and coffee, i suppose i'll manage somehow.

-kitay

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Re: am i a clusterhead?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:17am

Hello Kitay and welcome.

From what you describe they sound very much like clusterheadaches (CH), but the diagnose should be done by a doctor, preferably a neurologist.
It seems to be true that they would appear more in northern areas, or down south. Something about the farther away from the equator. But that doesn't mean it could not exist in for example the Philipines, maybe just not as frequent.
Try drinking an energy drink like Red Bull and the likes as soon as you feel one coming on, just make sure you have the right ones, containing both caffeine and taurine.
Anyway, find a dr in your area who has heard of this condition and get a proper diagnosis.

Keep us posted!

Painfree days to you.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

kitay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:58am

thanks for the advice maalstroom!  Smiley i'll definitely try out red bull. it's that time of the year for me.
my doctor...well, my ex-doctor, is a neurologist. i'm considering getting a second opinion if time permits. lately, i've always been late for work due to the attacks so it's a little hard for me to find time for it. i have to make up for my tardiness at work...

thanks again! and pain-free days to you as well  Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:27am

Ergot(tamine) is not very effective for Cluster although it was used for many years, since there were no alternatives.

Educating yourself is essential if you don't have access to a doc with good headache experience.
-------
I'd suggest the second book because of the price.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

==============
Anti-depressants are not useful for Cluster.
=======
If your present doctor is open to receiving guidance from you, print out the Rozen article and give to him. At the very least, it will be a tool to guide your discussions about useful treatments.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
==================

As time permits, explore the buttons (left) with special attention to the OUCH site.
=======

Stay in touch, especially as your questions become more focused. Much experience here which will be freely shared.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:29am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 2:13am

Kitay,
The pain you describe sounds a lot like Ch to me. The fact that it happens at the same time each day, lasts for a period of time and then goes away and the areas where you feel pain all sound like CH.

I'm hoping you can find a good neurologist in your area or maybe someone here can help you with that.

Hang in there - you're not alone
~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

kitay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:03am

bob_johnson and costaricakris, thanks for your post guys!

i'll try to make an appointment with a new neurologist next week. i'll just tell the doctor what i'm going through regardless of how weird it may seem to them.
at the moment, i can only try out one neurologist because i don't really have the luxury of going neurologist-hopping...and again, time won't permit it anyway.
i'll try to show the doctor the links that you've provided bob_johnson. although, i still have to check because some doctors are not really open to that kind of thing, receiving guidance from their patients.

here's hoping i pick out a good neurologist  Wink

thanks you guys!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 9:10am

You are very correct about how open your doc may be to learning from you--but we have found that really good docs will receive!

Please print out the Rozen list. Just giving the doc the links makes it too easy for him to do nothing. If you print it out, it may become a way of prompting a discussion of your options. Rozen is one of the better headache docs in the U.S. and it will be hard for you doc to disregard his expertise.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CH Ron
CH.com Newbie

PF wishes to all!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:36am

Kitay,

Your story sounds like CH to me.

One suggestion…  Start keeping a headache diary with times, durations and intensity of the headaches.  Check out the Kip scale (buttons on the LH side of this site).  My diary really helped me convince my doc that my condition was indeed CH.

I’m feeling for you and hope you find the relief you seek.  One thing for sure… You’ve found the right place for help.

Take care and PF wishes to you!

Ron

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:13pm

hello there, im not a doctor!! but im a EXPERT in cluster headaches. I can say this because i have had them for 20 years. I have went thourgh hundreds of headaches and have found out what works for ME and what doesnt work for ME so that makes me a EXPERT. It sounds like a classic case of clusters for you. You need oxygen now, print out everything here on this site about it and give it to your dcotor. Also if you go in to his office prepared he will not think about the "junkie" thing because what tends to work for us are not " junkie " kinds of drugs. Doctors are a bit funny sometimes about self diganosis, after all they are the ones who are smart! went to school for so long and get to wear that white coat and little degree to hang on the wall. The doctor i seen had no clue what clusters were, but he had no chioce but to learn and now on his card it say's CLUSTER HEADACHE CONSULTANT, at my last vist when i seen it i laughed and got a little angry as well and told him i would be send him my bill!! Take this matter into your own hands and do it now. Read, there are so many good things that are here that you can use to help you ease some of the pain. Good luck.. Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!