Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I’m convinced. (Read 1630 times)
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
I’m convinced.
Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:54pm

I’m now seriously convinced that the Taurine, Magnesium/calcium regime I have been following since April 2006 is working.

Ill try not to make this a lengthy post but for the benefit of the new comers here’s the history; I got my first set of clusters (12 weeks) back in late 1999 and then had a five year break until late 2004 (13 weeks) & they quite simply didn’t go away, I would get hit any time of the day or night with no rhyme or reason to severity, intensity or regularity.

When our Sanna reported that Red Bull with its high level of Taurine & Caffeine could kill a low level hit I thought it may be worth giving Taurine supplements a try to see if they would reduce any part of the cluster monster.

Rather than go into a lengthy literary montage below is a shortened version of my CH diary.

I started the regime on April 14 2006 & had some minor success but didn’t get a decent break until October 2, 2006.
I then had a 261 day break with no hits at all & only minor shadows.

Went into a high cycle again June 20, 2007 for 50 days but never got a hit above KIP 6 with most in the range of 4-5 & would go for up to 3 days without a hit.

My next low cycle started on August 9, 2007 & lasted for 297 days till June 1, 2008 & once again only minor shadowing throughout.

I’m currently in a high cycle again that started on June 1, 2008 & to date haven’t got a hit greater than Kip 4 & am getting up to 6 days without getting hit.

The interesting thing is that this time around unlike the previous cycles I haven’t stopped drinking my beloved stout or my evening shard, call me an idiot if you like but I really wanted to push the bar as far & as hard as I could to see what would happen & I guess the worst has been that this cycle has lasted 53 days to date, 3 more than last time.

As I understand it I am the only one that has stuck to this regime for this length of time & it may be that this is not the result that most would be looking for but what I would really like to see is another chronic take this up to prove or disprove my results.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: I’m convinced.
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:10pm

What dosage do you take of each?
Where do you buy taurine and what form does it come in?

Tx

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:23pm

Hi Geo
I started off with the recommended dosage on the pack:
Taurine 500mg tabs 3 times a day with meals.
Magnesium/calcium 500mg tabs 3 times a day with meals.
I was initially only taking the taurine & it wasn’t until I added the magnesium that things really started to happen; the one mistake I did make was that the magnesium will block the intake of calcium & I ended up with some pretty bad muscle & joint soreness due to the lack of calcium, once I talked this over with my MD I went down the line of the mix Magnesium/calcium in one tablet & used the celated form as these are ingested better than the non celated form.

Here in Aust we can purchase both products over the counter from any health food supplement store where there is a practicing naturopath

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:24pm by Barry_T_Coles »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:07am

Barry, your documentation of this regimen is very impressive.  It's efforts like this that really add to our collective knowledge about treatments.

I'll be interested to see if another chronic wishes to try this approach, and what the results might be.

Many thanks, and best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!