Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't underestimate the Red Bull (Read 6298 times)
hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Hate headaches, love Linux

Lurgan, UK
Don't underestimate the Red Bull
Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:47pm

I've been generally pain-free for a few months (taking Verapamil: see my side-effects post).

A lot of posters here recommend Red Bull at the first sign of a cluster headache and I have to admit that I was sceptical.

However, recently I let my Verapamil stock run out and got myself some headaches. Not bad ones, but enough to remind me that I've got CH.

When I slammed down a Red Bull I was okay again in a few minutes. In fact it wasn't a Red Bull but a cheap supermarket own-brand alternative.

It worked.

My fridge is stocked up with the things and everyone in the house is on warning not to drink em on me.

These were not mega clusters but they were still headaches that would have had me kneeling at the side of the bed, rocking backward and forward for at least half an hour.

I don't know what would happen with a big time headache but I'm beginning to see why so many CH.com regulars recommend energy drinks as a first line of defence.

PF days and nights to all,

Ian

Help defeat cluster headaches - use Linux
imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Don't underestimate the Red Bull
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:02pm

They didn't work for me but many many people swear by them! Linda keeps an open one in her fridge so it stays flat and it's easier to chug down. It' a good feeling to have more then one weapon against the beast aint it? Wink
uiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 4:01am

Ian,

I'm glad that energy drinks helped you. Smiley I recall very well how I felt about them before giving them a try - and I'm glad that I did, because they work wonders with my hits as well.

And I've made the same discovery than what you did: the energy drink doesn't need to be Red Bull to work, I just check that it contains enough caffeine and taurine. So far, all the energy drinks with the same amount of caffeine and taurine than RB have worked nicely. So feel free to stock up with your favourite one! Smiley

PF days,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 9:41am

They sell Rockstar, all flavors, in our cafateria at work. They have the original flavor in the vending machines so I can still get it if the cafateria's closed. It's saved me a few times.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 11:16am

This whole caffeine and energy drink is new to me, however since I have read posts on there I have drunk my regular share of coffee in the morning and no CH.  I have yet to do the energy drink and i always have Amp in the fridge and will try during on onset.  I was misinformed or misread something years ago about caffeine.  Wish me luck!  My CH's have gotten less intense on the tailend of this bout.
Hopefully remission is near.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 11:28am

Chad wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 11:16am:
This whole caffeine and energy drink is new to me, however since I have read posts on there I have drunk my regular share of coffee in the morning and no CH.  I have yet to do the energy drink and i always have Amp in the fridge and will try during on onset.  I was misinformed or misread something years ago about caffeine.  Wish me luck!  My CH's have gotten less intense on the tailend of this bout.

Amp doesn't have near enough taurine in it - about 40mg per serving. You need something with closer to 1000mg per serving.

IP Logged

sandt38
CH.com Newbie

ouch

North Carolina
Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 8:19am

I have not found Red Bull to be effective when I have a bad hit. In a really mild hit it does seem to do something, but definately what I have read here for me personally. The small cans don't do anything and the big cans are only marginally better.

However, I do take it at the same time as my Imitrex and it does seem to speed up the trex's delivery. If the trex knocks it down, the red bull does help a little, but there are times when the trex doesn't work at all either.  Angry

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Quote:
This whole caffeine and energy drink is new to me, however since I have read posts on there I have drunk my regular share of coffee in the morning and no CH.  I have yet to do the energy drink and i always have Amp in the fridge and will try during on onset.  I was misinformed or misread something years ago about caffeine.  Wish me luck!  My CH's have gotten less intense on the tailend of this bout.

Amp doesn't have near enough taurine in it - about 40mg per serving. You need something with closer to 1000mg per serving.
Thanks my friend.  I'll look into something else.  Amp seems to have the best taste for me, but i'd drink dog piss to kill a CH Grin

Any suggestions of what to use in place?

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Chad wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:44pm:
Quote:

Thanks my friend.  I'll look into something else.  Amp seems to have the best taste for me, but i'd drink dog piss to kill a CH Grin

Yep. NOS (distributed by Coca Cola). Comes in three flavors: Original (passionfruit), Grape, and Fruit Punch. Comes in plastic bottles that look like nitrous oxide tanks (hence the name NOS), both 11 and 22 oz., and 16 oz. cans. It tastes a little bit better out of the bottles. Has plenty of all the good stuff you need to abort. Guzzle 'em down at the first sign of a hit.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Quote:
Chad wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 2:44pm:
Quote:

Thanks my friend.  I'll look into something else.  Amp seems to have the best taste for me, but i'd drink dog piss to kill a CH Grin

Yep. NOS (distributed by Coca Cola). Comes in three flavors: Original (passionfruit), Grape, and Fruit Punch. Comes in plastic bottles that look like nitrous oxide tanks (hence the name NOS), both 11 and 22 oz., and 16 oz. cans. It tastes a little bit better out of the bottles. Has plenty of all the good stuff you need to abort. Guzzle 'em down at the first sign of a hit.
Thanks again!  Smiley

IP Logged

sandt38
CH.com Newbie

ouch

North Carolina
Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 8:24pm

Monster Assault also has 1000mg of taurine, and it has a really good taste. It is the same thing as LOST Energy. They are cherry flavored and a 4 pack of the 16 ounce cans goes for $5.99, compared to $9.99 for the 4 pack of 12 oz Red Bull.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008 at 8:35pm by sandt38 »  

IP Logged

hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Lurgan, UK
Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 11:52pm

I guess the bottom line on this thread is that high-energy drinks can help.

Probably not for everyone but so many CH-ers recommend them at the first sign of a hit that there has to be something there.

I have definitely found them helpful in low-level hits. And who knows - if I hadn't taken them early on who's to say those low-levels might not have become high-level clusters.

I cannot say. But it's definitely worth having a few on standby just in case.

I've even become accustomed to a taste I one considered vile.

Anything that helps even a little is worth adding to the anti-CH arsenal.

Ian

imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:07am

Energy drinks should be considered as another treatment; it doesn't work for everyone.

IP Logged

hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Lurgan, UK
Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:51pm

There's another good thread on this way up the list (as I write).

And there's a scary one about the possible downside of RB.

All I know is that, as I said in my other post, when I'm stumbling towards the fridge at 3am in the morning with a worsening CH I'd happily drink rat's p*ss, yak's blood or liquefied Sumo wrestler belly-button fluff.

imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!