Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Toradol, and Benadryl (Read 4061 times)
Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Toradol, and Benadryl
Aug 9th, 2008 at 12:54am

Okay, I can't take either of these, as I'm allergic to both, but, when I went to the ER today for a shot of nubaine (as it's the only thing I can do until the 14th, since the neuro department won't do a damned thing until I can see them again...) and the nurse practitioner said what she usually uses for Cluster Headache treatment is a combination of Toradol, Benadryl, and Oxygen.

I thought this was pretty interesting, I'm incapable of taking either (both will close my throat up, the Verapamil did, too, for that matter.) I know a lot of you get relief from the oxygen alone, but I figured it -may- be useful.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Toradol, and Benadryl
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 8:39am

Toradol will not touch my migraines nor my ch.  It is not a narcotic and is in the same family as ibuprofin.  They dont know much about ch if they are perscribing that and benedril.  ch is not an allergy.  duh!  But I will give them kudos for recomending oxygen.  That is the best thing for ch if you get the right setup.  Please read the link on the left side of the page for oxygen info.  Make sure you get a face mask and not a nose cannole.  Also make sure your regulator goes from 12-15 for a flow rate.  The lower flow rate wont do squat for you.  Most drs are quick to perscribe oxygen but dont know how to set u up correctly so make sure your informed.  Are you allergic to lithium, Topamax, Elavil, Zyprexa?  You may want to try one of those meds for a preventative.  I personallly would recomend trying lithium first it has a higher sucess rate with ch.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Toradol is very potent but also toxic; not something to be used regularly. Besides, pain meds not first choice for CH, anyway.

Expore:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:25pm

I was given a shot of Toradol at the doc’s office and within 5 minuets was hitting K7.

Luckily they had O2 in their office but with a crappy mask that was worthless for my needs.

I know it triggered my hit and that doc didn't want to see me any more so he refered me to a nerologist. My third nero so far.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!