Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone had shadows that don't lead to a new cycle? (Read 3923 times)
Scott M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Anyone had shadows that don't lead to a new cycle?
Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:25pm

I stopped my cycle about 6 weeks ago (which was my first cycle in 2 years), it lasted for about 8 weeks.  about a week ago I started having shadows, seems like they are getting stronger.  I'm terrified of going chronic with ch and I'm thinking if I get them again now after only 6 weeks of being PF then I will be chronic? 

is it possible to have shadows that don't lead to full on clusters?  I guess I will find out soon enough but it's starting to give me anxiety and I don't know what to do.  I was thinking about trying some RC Seeds to abort the cycle, any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Scott

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Re: Anyone had shadows that don't lead to a new cycle?
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 12:03am

Hi Scott

I am eyeing this thread -   I believe that chronic means not having more than 30 days painfree or clusterfree( someone will along and give you the operational definition)

But the reason I am eyeing it is that I am shadowing big time.  Just ended my last cycle about 6 weeks ago as well.   Something feels like its going to happen.  I don't have any pain in the corner of eye/nose area but more like all over headache everyday.  I feel different and kind of bad too -  I have been feeling this way for the past week or so. 

I can relate to that anxious feeling.  At this point my arsenal is stocked.   I  stat doses and nasal sprays, zomig and a refill of my verapamil on hand.  - I have another refill to pick up tommorrow-  I can't think of anything else even if I were 'chronic' that I could do. Just be ready, for when it comes!   

Kelly

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:19am

Well, you guys: count me in.

I'm currently in remission, 5 weeks orso, but still have them shadows 24/7.
What scares me, is that I have never ever before had such a long period of post-shadows. Sometimes they seem to border on an attack, but somehow never develop into a true hit (luckily). Why is it such a prolonged state? Should I fear of becoming a chronic one day to? What does it all mean?
Having said this, I am planning to clusterbust very soon.
And keeping my fingers crossed that some day someone finds a cure to this monster.

PF vibes to all.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:37pm

Yeah, I've had a "cycle" of shadows that never got worse. i thought "oh shit here we go again" but after a week or so no beast!

Not complaining or anything........

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:47pm

BTW-

got a huge, huge thunderstorm on Friday nite-   Guess what?  haven't had a shadow since!

Geez-

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:27pm

I had a 16 month cycle that ended a bunch of months back.  However, I never used to shadow between cycles.  Now I have at least 1 per day and they did get a bit worse for a bit.  However, no real Chs and it has yet to lead to a cycle.

I love CH, every question can be answered with "Some here have had that but not everyone" or "It worked for me and some others, but not for all" 

Isn't that fun!!!!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:49pm

Hi Guys,

My cycle this past year was all shadows with only two "real" hits.  The older I get I am noticing shadowing in between cycles as well.  Ibuprofen and coffee or energy drinks help.

Worrying about going chronic will only give you a headache!  LOL!   It's hard to do but just take things as they come and try not to let the beast consume you!

Take Care,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 1:14pm

Jeannie wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:49pm:
Worrying about going chronic will only give you a headache!  LOL!  

I couldn't agree with this more.  When i'm in remission like I am now, I don't even think about CH's and at times I actually forget about them all together, however since I started posting here, I find myself posting weekly if not daily to support those in cycles or who are chronic.  This beast sucks and all we can do is be there for each other and hope for a cure someday. 

Wishing  you all PF days and nights  Smiley

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:03am

Scott M wrote on Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:25pm:
is it possible to have shadows that don't lead to full on clusters?  I guess I will find out soon enough but it's starting to give me anxiety and I don't know what to do.  I was thinking about trying some RC Seeds to abort the cycle, any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Scott

Hi Scott.
Absolutely its possible to have shadows without full CH.

The larger likliehood, if you feel the cycle is over, is that something your consuming is the likely cause.
If you are continuing any CH preventive meds or alcohol use these can all cause a mimic of the shadows we all know. Side effects of most cluster meds are headaches.
Beer and wine  can cause lasting "shadows" even out of cycle.

If not taking any meds and your certain the shadows are cluster related than the RC seeds may do a great job of removing shadows from your life as well as potentially aborting a coming cycle.

MJ

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 3:32pm

Yes, once, I experienced shadows during a year when was supposed to develop an attack cycle.  I have 3-4 year remissions since I first starting getting CH in 1992.  But in 2004, when I was due to have a cycle, I remember getting shadows and feeling scared sh*tless that it was going to happen again.  I remember stocking up on Excedrin in anticipation for the attacks, which was the only known remedy for me back then.  but the attack cycle never came, and the shadows went away.

Scott M wrote on Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:25pm:
is it possible to have shadows that don't lead to full on clusters?  I guess I will find out soon enough but it's starting to give me anxiety and I don't know what to do.

IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 3:36pm

mezza wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 12:03am:
But the reason I am eyeing it is that I am shadowing big time. ...  I don't have any pain in the corner of eye/nose area but more like all over headache everyday. 

I get all-over headaches all the time, but for me, I don't count those as CH shadows because they are not striking at the same pain receptor areas as CH.  During my remission periods, I get all-over headaches, but they don't lead to a premature start of another cycle.  Personally, I haven't experienced any correlation between regular headaches and a CH cycle. 

Anyone else experienced a regular-headache/CH correlation?

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:20pm

[quote author=7A6D6D7B6D7A30080 link=1218594330/0#10 date=1219260993.  
Anyone else experienced a regular-headache/CH correlation? [/quote]

Outside of my Chs, I rarely ever have any other headpain.
Sometimes, when it's been hot and I've been for too long in a blistering sun can give me a headache, or if I've been very very busy, maybe an eyestrain or a minor tension headache. So no, in my case no correlation to other headpains.

A little update from my previous post in this thread: I am even shadowfree almost completely for a few days. No 24/7 nuissances any more. Sometimes a hint, but I feel them decreasing.

Funny thing though: a few hours ago I wanted to lay down on the cough for a quick nap after work and diner. Guess what: the vein in my left temple started pulsating like crazy..... I'm a rightsider normally. What the hell, I thought. Was under the impression I'd get a hit, on the left! Luckily it never did and subsided under 10 minutes. Jeez that scared me for a moment.

Regards, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:33pm

Pascal, that is so weird!   I was just talking to Beth about this!  I am out of cycle (I guess).  Lately, though, I have been having shadows and last night when my day FINALLY slowed down, I had some burning in my eye, nose, and cheek.  My right nostril stopped up and the tearing started in my eye.  I thought for sure I'd be running for the Trex but all of a sudden it was gone!  Very strange.  I think that the beast is changing his ways on me.....keeping me on my toes!  We'll see what he's up to soon, I'm sure!

PFDAN,

Jeannie

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:20pm

I have shadows almost everyday. The feeling that a hit is sneaking up on you but never appears... As for leading to a cycle, I don't really have a pattern with ch. Yet.

I use energy drinks and o2 to get rid of them if they are really persistent.

Em

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:59pm

Quote:
e: Anyone had shadows that don't lead to a new cycle?

Yes. I use the RC seeds and their gone. caffiene till the seeds are soaked. O2 bottle is dusty. Trex is expired. Prednisone bottle is dusty. Cafergot is expired. What a wonderful thing.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:02am

Jeannie wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:33pm:
Pascal, that is so weird!   I was just talking to Beth about this!  I am out of cycle (I guess).  Lately, though, I have been having shadows and last night when my day FINALLY slowed down, I had some burning in my eye, nose, and cheek.  My right nostril stopped up and the tearing started in my eye.  I thought for sure I'd be running for the Trex but all of a sudden it was gone!  Very strange.  I think that the beast is changing his ways on me.....keeping me on my toes!  We'll see what he's up to soon, I'm sure!

PFDAN,

Jeannie
Jean,
Somebody on here last week told me about the 4-way nasal spray to abort the shadows.  We'll I have been in remission for 1 week as of today, but I had about 3 shadows this week only to be aborted with in 1 minute after one spray of this 4-way on my right nostral.  Spray it on the side of your pain.  I carry it everywhere I go now to knock out those shadows.  It's great because I save my expensive Imitrex for the real cycle. 

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:35am

Thanks Chad,

Is it a script?  What do I ask the Dr. for or is it just called a 4-way nasal spray?

Jeannie

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:52am

It's over the counter.  You can get it at any pharmacy or grocery store.

You can't beat cheap remedies.   It may not work for all, but it works for me and it's worth a shot.

Good luck and let me know if it works?

Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:53am by Chad »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!