Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
swollen ankles (Read 1346 times)
kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
swollen ankles
Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:35pm

I tried searching the site about swollen ankles but found nothing.  I was at Knoebles amusement park all day yesterday on my feet wearing flip flops.  My mom noticed my ankles had swollen up like balloons.  They are still that way today.  I did check and it is a side effect of verapamil.  I have been taking it for 8 years.  ALso take lithium and RC.  Could it be from the verapamil?  IS it possible to see a side effect from a medication 8 years after being on it?  I couldn;t even put a sneaker on last night.  I do get the gout from time to time but swelling is always accompanied with pain. I have no pain at all. Anyone experience such a thing with their meds?  How do you get rid of this?

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Re: swollen ankles
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:17pm

Oooh Knoebles!!

And yes yes yes yes to swelling in the feet and ankles.  I'm a nurse - so I'm on my feet for 8 or 12 hours at a time.  After that and supposedly as a consequence of the verapamil, my feet swell up HUGE!  And also when I'm in the heat - like they swelled up really badly when I was in Florida and also down the shore.  I have been on verapamil for a long time and it's only really the last year that this has been a problem for me, so I suspect something about being on your feet in the heat today with the combo of the verap might have done it.

If it doesn't get better or happens again, tell your doc.  I would definitely at least let them know when you go to your appointment next.  They know about mine, but the only way to help it is to come off the verap, and we weren't ready to do that yet.

They should start getting better by tomorrow at least a little or you may need to call them.  Put your feet up - definitely elevate to try to drain that fluid back out of them.

And remember - none of this is to be taken as medical advice!  (I have to say that cuz I'm also a nurse....! hehe)  Make sure you tell them this happened!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:24pm

hell, you're as good as most doctors!!  Of course, I am reading on line about this and thats enough to go run to a cardiologist.  Its always something.  Something tells me I won't live along life with all the problems I have had.  Need to start taking better care of myself and quit smoking.

Anyway, reading your experience is somewhat comforting.  I'll see how long this sticks around and make an appt if needed
Thanks Carrie

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:59pm

Did you get scared after looking up swollen feet or the combo of swollen feet and verap?  I have looked up swollen feet in general before, and yes it is scary - makes you start thinking, "Am I dying of heart failure?"  Especially since my grandfather is having open-heart surgery in the next few weeks!  What were his main symptoms? Fatigue, swollen feet, some shortness of breath - but it was the swollen feet that keyed them into the major problem.

At any rate - swollen feet can definitely occur as a plain ole side effect of verap.  Just definitely see how they go over the next day or two and give the doc a call or at the very least let them know when you go for your next appt!

Thanks for the complement, though!  Always wanted to be a doc, but the headaches prevented me from realizing that dream - but I think I still make a pretty good nurse on most days!  (Now if I could ever beat this stim infection and get back to work, that'd be something!)

Quitting smoking would definitely be good.  I won't nag at ya, though - my dad has tried to quit at least 50 times (I swear), and he only gets mad at me if I say something to him, so I don't comment on it any longer!  Just know that the people who care about you want to see you live a nice long, healthy life - without the smoking! Smiley

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!