Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Noob!!! (Read 2921 times)
Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Another Noob!!!
Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:06am

Good Morning Guys,

I've kind of been lingering for the last month or so and finally decided to post in lieu of the fact that like many others on this forum I'm sleep deprived this week. Just dealing with all this crap just makes me cry sometimes.

I'm kind of an old guy to be getting these things(54), but about 2 years ago they started. For quite sometime a couple of darvocettes were dulling the pain after 30-60 minutes and making it bearable so I could function. Went the ENT route which of course was a waste of time and of course all they want to tell you is that you need sinus surgery. It didn't feel right so I started searching for a good neurologist and after being referred to a few and calling, it was about 3 months before anyone could see me. So I just started to self medicate to get through it. Fortunately I got a call back aftter a year from a top guy in the DC area who was spending the day at Johns Hopkins Hospital and asked me if I wanted to be seen. Well forgetting that I was even on anyone's waiting list I happily said "YES"

He diagnosed me very quickly, and after doing quite abit of reading on CH I have darn near every symptom in the book. Ya know I never go into work late, but today I am and I decided to spend the time looking for alittle support which is very difficult for me to do. Darvocette's no longer work, so it's pretty much 100mg imitrex that help most of the time. I've done the topomax but that doesn't seem to help much. I'm do to go back to the DR for a follow up, just have to get off my butt and get tthe MRI of the brain done. Actually I was just hoping you could take in another sufferer.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:15am by Howard L »  

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Re: Another Noob!!!
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:48am

Welcome Howard.  I'm new to this board too, but have learned tons in just 2 weeks.  I already did some this stuff, but found more that I didn't know about.  You like us suffer from this beast.

Going to a neuro was the first right thing to do.  I didn't go to one till 2005 and i've had these suckers since I was 17 and i'm now 32.  I'm sure others will come on here giving great advice.  I'll just go ahead and tell you my abortive techniques.

First and foremost, stock up during your cycles with whatever weapons you have. 

I use 50 mg Imitrex sometimes twice a day.  Ask the doc for 100mg script so you can cut it in half.  It saves $$$.  During my cycle I usually feel out my hits when i'm going to get one and take the Imitrex an hour before a suspected hit regardless if it comes or not, i'm covered especially while at work.  Since being on Imitrex I haven't missed a day of work in over 4 years.  My GP first prescribed it to me before the neuro. 

My abortive techniques while at during those night hits is routine now.
I pound a Monster energy drink and do these pumping exercises to divert the blood flow to my arms from my head.  The Spaniard describes this technique in the thread he created.  It works for me.
I do as many sets as needed to abort.  I'm planning on doing a Melatonin test during my next cycle.  Starting at 3mg and then onto whatever more I need, but no more than 15mg.  I'm also going to try jogging since I'm a runner.  Exercise helps me a ton.

I don't take preventative drugs because I try to limit that stuff in my system knowing the possible side affects.  Vera and Top work for some though.

I have yet to get O2, but you can't get any more natural than that.
Can't wait to try it. 

I've tried mushrooms in the past and boy do they work at least for me.
They knocked off a week of pain after each dose.  Being a fan of the Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd made it fun too, LOL!

The best thing to do is not let the beast take control of you, but rather you take control of him.  Keep positive thoughts and never sit in fear waiting for the next hit.  Enjoy your PF moments to the fullest.

Wishing you PF days ahead.

Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:59am

Dumb me, never even thought about cutting the Imitrex in 2 to make them last longer knowing I can only get 9 a month. I did read about the melatonin and I think I'm going to try that. In regard to the mushrooms, are you talking about the illegal ones....LOL...in regard to Pink Floyd, to tell you how long they've been around I remember seeing them in concert at the "old" Lyric Theater in Baltimore after their release of their Relics album(very weird stuff). That was back in 1969 by the way......appreciate it Chad

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:08pm

Howard,

Lucky you.  I'd love to see Pink Floyd, but i'm a youngin I guess.  Had opportunities to see the Dead too before Jerry passed, but missed that also.   Anyway, in regards to the shrooms, yes, the illegal ones, LOL!
I don't know what it is, but they prevent clusters.

Check this site out:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

About cutting the Imitrex in half, the box says "not to", but I do and 50mg is more than enough to keep my CH at bay on a daily basis, but sometimes my predictions are off and I have to resort to my other techniques like exercise and energy drinks.  I'm waiting to get into the neuro again to stock up on O2.
I have yet to try it, but excited to try.  At the moment i'm in remission so i'm enjoying my PF days.  I tend to come on here daily though to support and learn.

Also, I have been using the 4-way nasal spray to knock out the shadows and that has worked too.

Hopefully I answered some of your questions and if haven't read all of the links to the left of this site and listen to everyone.

Best of luck  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:09pm by Chad »  

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:13pm

ROFLMAO I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have used my real name....I have two inquisitive teenage boys.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:17pm

Howard L wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 12:13pm:
ROFLMAO I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have used my real name....I have two inquisitive teenage boys.
Oops! Grin

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:59pm

1/2 works

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 4:51pm

Ok Howard -- Welcome to Clusterville.....

Read up on the O2 -- it works for about 70% of us and is better than the drugs... Imitex pill don't work real good for most people here. Darvocett is about useless as are most painkillers.

Energy drinks with caffeine and taurine (at least 1000mg) work to abort for a lot of us (along with the O2 for me).

Melatonin at night before bed helps get you thru the REM sleep and helps keep those night hits away (so you get some rest at night).

Get back to the doc for the MRI and rule out any other things. Then get a script for the O2....

And if you've still got teenagers kid you ain't VERY old -- ya wanna talk OLD -- I'm OLD.....but I still think YOUNG and these damn headaches ain't got me down yet.

Welcome aboard....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:29pm

Appreciate it Barbara, I will check out the O2

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:15pm

So glad you found us and that you got a decent diagnosis, that's the biggest hurdle. Another strong vote for oxygen here. 30 years of battling and it's still my first line abortive. You need a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, a non re breather mask, and you have to start huffing it at the first sign of an attack. I can be pain free in less then 10 minutes. It's damned near miraculous the first time you abort one with 02. None of the "imitrex hangover" feeling afterwards either.

You have much reading to do, you have found a second family, we'll do all we can to help you!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:24pm

Hi Howard & Welcome

You’re not alone in getting them later in life I to didn’t get them until I was 49 for my first dance with the demon now 59 & chronic.

Personally I think being chronic is easier to handle; you know it’s always ready to hit so you never drop your guard & like Barb says they aint got me down yet either & never will.

O2 o2 o2 when I’m in a high cycle it’s my first & best abortive.

As for being old the jury is still out “I was born lookin old I just got pretty as I grew up” but there’s a lot of people that recon I never grew up. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:22pm

Guiseppi, Barry, thanks for the info on the O2. In regard to regulators etc it's all french to me but I'll do the work and find out what it's all about. Time to hit the sack early, broke my record with 4 today...wish I could drink... Cry

IP Logged

writer
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Washington, D.C.|USA||0|0|
Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:04pm

Howard--

I have a query outstanding for an article on cluster, and if my proposal is accepted, I will need to interview cluster sufferers.  From your post I gather you are somewhere not far from the D.C. metropolitan area, where I live.  

If you would consent to an interview for this purpose (assuming I get the assignment), I would be grateful.  Please PM me--

Barbara

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:23pm

Hey Barbara, don't just "get" the assignment, fight for it.!  One of the things I hate about clusterheadaches is the lack of knowledge and informnation out there.  It's so aggravating to tell someone you have clusterheadaches and have them start telling you their "cures" for headaches.  The intent is appreciated, but it's so frustrating to try to explain it to someone without it sounding like an exaggeration.

I'm not even sure what the article would be for, but writing it for anyone who doesn't know what these are like increases the awareness of others and may even help others whose Drs are failing to diagnose them accurately.  If you have the power to help with that, please do so.  I'm sure you can find thousands of stories here, including supporters stories, to help.

Howard, I hope you take this message to heart also.  Isn't this the reason we are here?  To find those who understand us?  To you too I say, if you can help increase that number, please do so.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!