Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Noob!! Day 2 Question (Read 1634 times)
Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Another Noob!! Day 2 Question
Aug 22nd, 2008 at 6:02am

Alot of people talk about stress as a trigger, at least outside this forum, and I haven't seen to much of this as a topic of conversation in regard to CH. Feedback?

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Another Noob!! Day 2 Question
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 7:12am

Stress can work both ways.  For some it is a trigger.  For others it keeps the beast away.  They only get hit once they relax. 

Exercise is much the same.

Weird but that's the way it is. We're all different.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:19am

I'm with Dennis: there is nothing in the literature which has hit my screen to make a case for stress as a trigger/cause of CH.

Believe it's more a quality of life issue of no little importance--a force which can compromise our sense of well being, a force which has no end of sources, i.e., arising from any aspect of our lives which overburdens our coping capacities.

This concept is one of the reasons I wrote this little essay: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:08am

for me, i can not say that stress is a trigger................but, of course that could change! got my first cylce while vacationing in the Keys in jan !!! right about now i have a great deal of stress in my life, with the major part being a new boss who is doing all he can to force me out of my position, as well as an impending divorce! is it the elavil that is keeping the beast @ bay? who knows , all is know is that i am living my life to it's fullest every day, while keeping a positive attitude!

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:28am

From people who are close to me they say there is definite  increase in my attacks during more stressfull times, as they are now. During vacations I have very little problems unless I try to drink and that's another story entirely.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 9:48am

Hey Howard,

I'm not sure if stress causes CH or not, but when i've been through stressful times, I never had a cluster so it works differently with each individual I guess. 

I love my microbrews, scotch, and occassional cigar, but during cycles whether on vacation or not, I cut all of that out.  I use to smoke cigarettes over 3 years ago and since I have quit, not only has the number of hits gone down to 3 or less a day, but the cycles have reduced by 4 weeks.  Smoking for me was the worse trigger and if the pain is severe enough you'll quit whatever it is to help it encluding alcohol or beer.

Have a great weekend Howard.  Don't think about the beast!
Deal with him if he comes, but enjoy your PF time in between hits.

Wishing you the best  Smiley

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 12:53pm

Quote:
I'm with Dennis: there is nothing in the literature which has hit my screen to make a case for stress as a trigger/cause of CH.

I have found that literature on CH is ambiguous, incomplete, and certainly open to interpretation and speculation.

My experience is, stress is a trigger. For me. My opinion is stress has nothing to do with causation ,only aggravation.

I like this link and happen to agree with it.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2008 at 2:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 6:10pm

I don't feel that stress triggers my clusters while I am in cycle.  It is true about alcohol.  I cut it out when in cycle.  It was friday the 15th, I had a ch at 10 am.  Made it through the weekend, into the next week and no ch.  I went to a birthday party on tuesday eve and was handed a Mojito to drink, I looked at my husband and smiled "maybe I am in the clear".  I am normally a drinker and I find it difficult to explain why I am not.  It usually leads into a conversation, "oh thats terrible, I had one of those once, my wife gets migranes"...etc.  I just sipped it for the duration of the party, my husband helped.  Sure enough, I woke with a good shadow in the middle of the night, but fell asleep.  And then at 9am on wednesday had a strong ch.  I took an imitrex shot.  I've been good since.  I take Verapamil as a prevenitive.

angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:56pm

Stress does not cause cluster attacks. It's the relaxing after the stress that brings them on. I can't ever remember being stressed during the REM sleep mode.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Megawatt
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:16pm

Hi.. I'm a noob to the board as well.  Great question. For me, after 20+ years saying stress had nothing to do with starting a cycle I have finally convinced myself I was WRONG! The last two cycles (now and last winter) I stressed about taking a new job. Both times the night before I was to make a decision the cycle started. So I'm now finally convinced stress is what triggered my cycle. However, I don't believe this was the case in earlier years because the cycle would generally  start the same months every year.

Doug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!