Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I TRIED AND I CRIED (Read 2658 times)
ryan27dfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I TRIED AND I CRIED
Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:21pm

Hey everyone posted a message the other day and was very pleased with the responses i received. Very welcoming and understanding. Well never tried the energy drink thing so thought i would give it a try. Two days ago tried the energy drink and was working pretty good or so i though. Yesterday around 2pm I started feeling a shadow so I raced to the store for an energy drink. I chugged it and remained calm for a few minutes. Then the beast took control. This was one of the worse CH I have felt in this cycle. It lasted from 2pm till about 4pm and lingered all day and night. Woke up this morning no headache but chugged an energy drink just in case. Was wondering if i took the drink too late or if it doesnt work for me. >< Also had a few questions.....Does anyone ever get over these headaches for good? and I heard they go away with age is that true?  Embarrassed Undecided Cry Angry

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: I TRIED AND I CRIED
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:38pm

You probably didn't get to it soon enough. That said, it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Do they go away as you get older? Sometimes.

You starting to get the picture?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:55pm

Energy drinks never worked for me, although I read where they work for a lot of people. Oxygen almost always works for me, ususally in less then 10 minutes. The only times it's failed me are the times I wait too long to get on it. Speed is important, 3-5 minutes can make a huge difference for me in its ability abort the attack.

I'm 48, after 30 years they seem to be easier to take and my remission peiods last longer. Sailpappy is 157 years old, (or there abouts Wink) and the beast is still coming back. Others on the board have had them stop in their 40's and 50's. Like Brew said, getting the picture? The only thing consistent about the beast is how inconsistent he is!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:00pm

ryan27dfw wrote on Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:21pm:
Does anyone ever get over these headaches for good? and I heard they go away with age is that true?  Embarrassed Undecided Cry Angry

I'll get back to you on that.  I've had them since I was thirteen.  I'm 54 now.  The cycles are getting farther and farther apart, though--so maybe the thing will die before I do.

Re:  Energy drinks...  They'll kill a shadow for me, but won't even slow down a full-blown attack.  Others get better results than I do, though.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:02pm

Im 40 and been getting them since 23, each time more powerful than the last, hey ryan nobody here is a classic case of clusters. All of us have differnt triggers different reaction times and different pain areas, but one thing thats certain is we all know how horrible this stuff is. It is what it is, dont try to make to much rhymn or reason of it. just keep looking for your magic bullet and you will be ok, just keep in mind that now your not alone so there not " loney teardrops " anymore. So just keep learning. I have not heared a single word out of you yet about oxygen!! You need to take oxygen info seriously!! Since i learn how to use the oxygen properly ( it took a few tries ) i have not had a cluster last more than 7 minutes!!! NOT 2 HOURS. YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER FOR 2 HOURS ANYMORE. Im telling you man, get it now!!! If there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning and the beast is on the mound, im going up to the plate with my 02 tank. You can understand that right? As you know this cluster headache shit is no JOKE ryan, sounds to me like you need  to get your weapons stright.!!!  I hope the beast gives you a break. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:20pm

If there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning and the beast is on the mound, im going up to the plate with my 02 tank. You can understand that right?

Alright Coach, as both a baseball fan, and an 02 fan, that comparison rocks!!! Smiley

Guiseppi

IP Logged

ryan27dfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 5:25am

ok ive heard alot about oxygen treatment..where do i get this from..do i have to schedule apts with doctors or can i get it straight out...new to all this stuff sorry

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 6:40am

You will need a prescription from a doctor. You will want a "high flow regulator" at least 15 LPM, and a Non Re Breather Mask. If your doc writes up the prescription, the medical supply handles all the details. The key is starting it as soon as your headache starts. A delay of 2-5 minutes really reduces the effectiveness for me. That's why it's worthless for me to drive to the er, by the time i get there the CH is firmly entrenched and 02 won't dislodge it.

If your insurance doesn't cover it, don't panic. Mine wouldn't cover it for the first few years, I paid $4.25 a month to rent a tank, $11.00 per refill, and bought my own regulator. You see it talked about a lot on the board becuase it works so damned well. Hoping it works as well for you.

Guiseppi

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 8:15am

Here is a link to a stickied post in the medications section.  It's all about getting Oxygen perscribed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Stickies are your friend  Cool 

Here is a link to the OUCH-US Oxygen info page.  Another great source of info: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Oxygen is a great way to chase the beast off your noggin.  Good luck... 

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:38pm

I couldn't get a prescription for enough O2, even though the DR told me to use it.  They would only prescribe me the backpack version with the nose deals.  I laughed, said keep it.  Got a free mask from the Medical Center, went to the Bottle and Gas business and got a bottle as big as me with a regulator.  I spend $53 each time to fill it up.

Also on another note:  my husband was serving in the USCG for just shy of 6 years.  When he was released, we went through the steps to ensure extended Health Care coverage for 6 months.  Well, sadly, because my husband did not completely serve 6 years (he was 1.5 months shy) our coverage was not extended.  We both had no idea until I was trying to get my prescriptions filled, and plus I have two ER visits.  I am really disappointed with the gov (imagine that), they could of sent a disqualifying letter.  Their excuse is we should of known.  GRRRRR... Angry

angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Quote:
I heard they go away with age is that true? 

At this years convention in Dallas,  we had the honor of having Professor Goadsby speak.  Dr. Goadsby is the pre-eminent authority on CH.  Jimi asked him a similar question.

"I haven't had a CH for almost 7 years now.  Are they gone for good?"  Goadsby's answer was "No"

Not something Jimi wanted to hear.   Undecided

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 10:19pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:45pm:
"I haven't had a CH for almost 7 years now.  Are they gone for good?"  Goadsby's answer was "No"

Goadsby's answer should have been "maybe." Either that or I'm going to start consulting with him for lottery numbers. Wink

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 8:15am

i start out with a combo approach , strong coffee or e drink and o2, speed is everything yet still its not a 100% for me. o2 is better than most everything. i get good relief with trex if the others aren't working, still use o2 with trex too. don't forget ice(it always feels good)

karl

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:37am

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 24th, 2008 at 3:45pm:
"I haven't had a CH for almost 7 years now.  Are they gone for good?"  Goadsby's answer was "No"

Not something Jimi wanted to hear.   Undecided
I'd take a 7 year vacation anyday as i'm sure many of you would also.  I'm sticking with the shroom prevention route for now along with the Spaniards exercise.  Going to the neuro in Oct. for the O2.  I'm in remission now, so I can wait.  
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:38am by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!