Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OXYGEN terms explained (Read 41113 times)
Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: OXYGEN terms explained
Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 7:36am

Quote:
but 15 LPM is a must!

Not so!  Rozen's paper says 7-10 lpm is effective for most.  I get by fine at 8 lpm.  May want to suggest to start at 15 lpm and step backward on the flow until the lowest effective flow rate is reached.  O2 therapy can do damage, no need to over do it (why take 1000mg of verap when 480mg works).
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 7:37am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #26 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Bob P wrote on Dec 29th, 2008 at 7:36am:
Quote:
but 15 LPM is a must!

O2 therapy can do damage, no need to over do it (why take 1000mg of verap when 480mg works).

Supporting studies? Links?

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:12pm

I've become a big fan of very high flow O2. Since getting a 25LPM regulator, I’m finding that I can abort much faster. Bob and I have discussed this before and I can't argue with his (and other people) success at lower flow rates. As you know Bob is a big guy, but 8 LPM works for him.  

You can Google Dr. Rozens study and find it published all over the place, but  also refers to Kudrow’s study.
Here is one example:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

All studies aside, I'll stick with what I know works for me without trying too hard to understand it! My simplistic, yet pure perspective.....

Marc
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:13pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #28 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:16pm

Hi Marc....

Wasn't questioning an 8lpm abort......was wondering about the "damage" claim.

What ever works for the individual is ok by me. 25lpm is manna from heaven for me. I can't breath @ 8.

B

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:36pm

Agreed.

I've never seen a clear statement of any potential damage with short duration (15-20 minutes) use. I've only been able to find rather oblique references to “no problem for otherwise healthy people”  I too would like to know.

I’ve read quite a bit about the dangers of very long term usage – like over 20 hours.

I didn't intend to answer on Bob's behalf - just throwing my 2 cents in world where pennies are worthless!

Marc
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:38pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #30 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 7:37am

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Appropriate levels of oxygen are vital to support cell respiration. High blood and tissue levels of oxygen can be helpful or damaging, depending on circumstances. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the use of high levels of oxygen for treatment of specific diseases. High levels of oxygen given to infants causes blindness by promoting overgrowth of new blood vessels in the eye obstructing sight. This is Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP). Administration of high levels of oxygen in patients with severe emphysema and high blood carbon dioxide reduces respiratory drive, which can precipitate respiratory failure and death.

Oxygen first aid specifically refers to the use of oxygen in a first aid setting. Oxygen will assist patients with myocardial infarction and hypoxia (low blood oxygen levels). Care needs to be exercised in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, especially in those known to retain carbon dioxide (type II respiratory failure) who lose their respiratory drive and accumulate carbon dioxide if administered oxygen in moderate concentration. For this reason, some jurisdictions require medical approval for all emergency oxygen administration.

From Rosen's paper:

Quote:
However, prior to initiating this therapy, patients must obtain clearance from their primary care physician since serious lung disease and other conditions can make oxygen therapy unsafe or inappropriate.

From Surgeryencyclopedia.com:

Quote:
Oxygen is not addictive and causes no side effects when used as prescribed. Complications from oxygen therapy used in appropriate situations are infrequent. Respiratory depression, oxygen toxicity (  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ), and absorption atelectasis are the most serious complications of oxygen overuse.

A physician should be notified and emergency services may be required if the following symptoms develop:

frequent headaches
anxiety
cyanotic (blue) lips or fingernails
drowsiness
confusion
restlessness
slow, shallow, difficult, or irregular breathing
Oxygen delivery equipment may present other problems. Perforation of the nasal septum as a result of using a nasal cannula and non–humidified oxygen has been reported. In addition, bacterial contamination of nebulizer and humidification systems can occur, possibly leading to the spread of pneumonia. High-flow systems that employ heated humidifiers and aerosol generators, especially when used by patients with artificial airways, also pose a risk of infection.

This is reall y just nit picking though, the point is why use more than you have to.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2008 at 8:00am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 10:39pm

I agree Bob, I can somewhat tell when it's going to be a monster, in which case I use higher flow rates.  Shadows and light hits don't deserve 25 lpm, I may need that for the big ones. 10 or even less for the minor quakes.
Man am I cheap
the bb

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #32 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 11:03am

A problem with Rozen's link is that it suggests that if triptans are appropriate for a sufferer, oxygen won't be necessary.  But oxygen is a good first-line approach even when triptans can be used.  Oxygen is much cheaper, firstly.  Also, you can alternate the approaches to aborting attacks, or try oxygen first.  I wouldn't my doc to think that if I had no heart problems I should go with the triptans and skip oxygen.

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #33 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 11:04am

A problem with Rozen's link is that it suggests that if triptans are appropriate for a sufferer, oxygen won't be necessary.  But oxygen is a good first-line approach even when triptans can be used.  Oxygen is much cheaper, firstly.  Also, you can alternate the approaches to aborting attacks, or try oxygen first.  I wouldn't my doc to think that if I had no heart problems I should go with the triptans and skip oxygen.

IP Logged

donoholdt
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|estes park|USA||0|0|
Reply #34 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 4:34pm

This is the first time I've had O2 and I feel like I've finally found an answer. After reading what others say, however, I have some questions. When I breathe in, should I hold it before I exhale? Are there any side effects? Will my body adjust to the treatments and begin to require more? The first few times it only took about 2 minutes before the Beast retreated. Now it's taking up to 10 minutes, and even then, sometimes I have to take a 10-minute break, as recommended by others, and go back to it. It's the best treatment I've found since I couldn't use Sansert anymore. One more thing: We're flying to New Zealand in a couple of weeks and have been told I can't take O2 on the plane with me. What am I going to do? I can't go 19 hours without O2. Suggestions?

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 7:43pm

For ME, the more I can hyper ventilate, the faster and more effectively it works.

For ME that means 45+ lpm to start, then tapering down to a normal breathing rate after 3-4 minutes.

At 15 lpm, O2 is close to worthless for ME.

I gave up on O2 because "it didn't work for me" - I get angry with myself for suffering soooo many needless hours of agony - because I didn't listen to the folks telling me that I just needed more.

Now, I never have to suffer a real headbanger if my O2 is in reach. THAT gives me my life back.

Marc

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 3:14pm

Quote:
One more thing: We're flying to New Zealand in a couple of weeks and have been told I can't take O2 on the plane with me. What am I going to do? I can't go 19 hours without O2. Suggestions?

Thats what Trex is for. Maybe lobby the airline for a medical exception?
the bb

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Quote:
Quote:
One more thing: We're flying to New Zealand in a couple of weeks and have been told I can't take O2 on the plane with me. What am I going to do? I can't go 19 hours without O2. Suggestions?

Thats what Trex is for. Maybe lobby the airline for a medical exception?
the bb

A pressurized O2 tank is a potential bomb waiting to go off. I know of no airline that will allow you to bring a pressurized tank onboard.

They may let you bring a battery-powered concentrator, or they may give you access to the on-board O2 they carry with them. Give them a call. But pressurized tanks are off limits.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 5:46pm

Brew is correct. This has come up numerous times and indications are no they won't allow any pressurized containers of any kind...bic lighter.

IP Logged

Clustermom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Texas
Reply #39 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:23am

How after can you use the oxygen? My son has had 4 attacks within 4 hours? So he has used the oxygen @12 lpm, then @ the same tapering off to @8 for 15-20 min a time, is that ok?

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:37am

It's fine.

Potter

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #41 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:23am

I agree with Potter.

I'm also amazed that your son gets relief at that low flow rate.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #42 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:44pm

Hi Clustermom,
I am also amazed your son can abort with such low flow rates.  The #1 thing to have him understand is to get on the o2 at first onset of an attack, each second truly matters!!!  Lower flow rates were common years ago until the discovery that higher flow rates abort faster.

If he had a high flow regulator (25 lpm+) he could abort faster by hyperventilating opposed to just breathing deeply.  It is physically impossible to hyperventilate at only 15 lpm or less of a flow rate when using the non-rebreather mask and attached bag.

He also might be able to go longer between attacks if he stayed on the o2 for 5 or 10 minutes after the abort, just at a lower flow rate to breathe normally, while also avoiding wasted o2 from coming out too fast.

There are stores nationwide called Harbor Freight Tools that sell welders regulators for less than $30 bucks and most likely will fit his o2 tank.  These regulators offer high flow rates.  No prescription required to purchase.

An 8 ounce can of an energy drink containing 1,000 mg of Taurine and 60mg Caffeine (such as Redbull, Rockstar, monster, etc) have been very helpful to many of us when chugged fast without o2, and especially right before o2 therapy.

It sure would have been alot easier if I had a mom around as caring as you when I was a teen or in my 20s.  Your son is very blessed to have your sincere support. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

wishbone
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Birmingham, AL
Reply #43 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 1:00pm

Could someone explain to me again the proper breathing technique so as to hyperventilate.

Just as I try daily to grow my Faith in God I try daily to learn how to cope with Cluster Headaches

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #44 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 6:27pm

G'day Wishbone. On the left of your screen is a button marked Oxygen Info that may be of help.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

O2HypothalamusEye
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #45 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 3:48am

What if I don't have a platinum plated no co-pay heath insurance to cover it? I'm like Johnny, I get the K size welding tanks filled for $32 per cylinder at the welding shop, medical O2 is (X5) way too expensive and medicare doesn't cover O2 for any of us CH victims. O2 @ 10-15 LPM is your only salvation from the pain! You already know that drugs are a waste of time if you are a chronic CH sufferer. I have found that the lidocaine nasal spray works really well when the demon hits your eye orbit, my Neurologist gave me a huge bottle of it and it helps a lot when the eye bore gets to drilling. Rock on fellow CH torture victims!

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #46 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 4:39am

Hey O2......,

Welcome to CH.com.

Have you looked into the D3 Regimen as a preventative? Many of us here are getting great benefits from it.

Read up in section 2 in the link below:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Someone is always here to answer questions.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

sandnesspeak
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 12:07am

Nice information posted

IP Logged

DyinInDallas
CH.com Newbie

Reply #48 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:24pm

The link to the FAQ in the third post on this page is dead... you can get it at web.archive.org

The Wiki page mentioned above by Bob P about oxygen toxicity is for hyperbaric O2.  When you run around an Fi02 of 130 or above, you have a risk of CNS oxygen toxicity, so they use periodic "air breaks" to give your CNS a chance to stabilize (sorry, forgot what the protocol is).  It's impossible to get higher than 100 FiO2 breathing off of a mask; that's purely a risk for hyperbaric chambers and SCUBA (nitrox or technical diving).  The biggest risk I can see from atmospheric O2 is drying your lungs out, which the O2 humidifier corrects.

Google: "OXTOX: If You Dive Nitrox You Should Know About OXTOX" for the skinny from DAN if you want to know more about oxygen toxicity.  Again, little or no risk at atmospheric pressures even with 100% O2.

100% FiO2 in the medical world equals 1 pO2 in the diving world.

IP Logged

DyinInDallas
CH.com Newbie

Reply #49 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 7:25pm

The attachment shows the relationship between CNS and pulmonary (lung) oxygen toxicity.  The vertical graph at left with the 1 mark (1 atmosphere at 100% O2) is the point of interest.  This is an older study and they're more conservative nowadays, but the relationship is still reasonably close.  You can inhale pure O2 for 5 to 10 hours straight with zero chance of any pulmonary or CNS issues.  Your only limit is the size of the tank.

As long as you leave 2 or 3 hours between sessions, repetitive O2 loads don't matter much as the 'half-time' for O2 loading is around 90 minutes.  After 3 hours, you're 3/4ths back to 'normal'.

I couldn't find the more recent study data at the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Technology site.  I'm pretty sure the current CNS limit drops to around 1.6-2 at the hour mark as there was a verified 'CNS event' with a deco diver at 20 feet on pure O2.  The military used to dive pure O2 rebreathers to 50 or 70 feet, but that was in war time and they had an acceptable number of losses...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!