Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie close to diagnosis (Read 1015 times)
PGW
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Newbie close to diagnosis
Aug 30th, 2008 at 12:36am

Hi All
I am new to CH and convinsed that this insideous pain is a cluster headache.  More convinsed than ever since the CT scan, sinus xray and blood work came back normal.
Today I went for a "So, What now"? visit to the Doctor.  She is making an appointment with a neurologist and in the interim she prescribed Ketorolac Trometh(Toradol).
Has anyone had any experience with the above drug?
I have been watching and listening to this site for some time but have only tried to post one other time.  I was in the throes of a headache and couldn't see well enough to even get logged in.
It has been about a year since I noticed something wasn't right.  I do not have a history of head aches let alone any kind of migrane.  I have only recently noticed a pattern that I would now say has a cycle.  I experience pretty much every symptom that I have seen listed, here and other sites as well.
I have noticed a change of late and that is that the headaches are more less in duration but more, much more intense and frequent.
I have always had a very high pain threshold but this is something altogether different.  With a very strong family history of brain aneurysm and tumour I must admit I have been concerned.  I guess the CT scan has cleared that up.  Or am I being naive?
The last time I had a prescription of any kind was years ago and I am not one to pop a pill every time I have an ache or stuffy nose so but at this point I would consider anything.
Thanks for listening everyone, I have a feeling that this site is going to become my new best friend because God knows that no one else even slightly gets it.

PGW

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Newbie close to diagnosis
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 2:24am

I've never tried that medication, hopefully someone will chime in who has.

If it turns out you have cluster headaches, you will want to attack it with a 2 pronged course, they don't have a cure yet but with a little bit of work and study, you can develop a program that will "manage" them!

1: A good preventative strategy. A preventative med is one you take daily while you are on cycle, the idea is to reduce both the frequency and the intensity of your attacks. I use lithium, other popular prevents are verapamil and topomax, with some people combining the lithium and verapamil. Others to read up on the med page.

2: A good abortive strategy. A headache is starting, now what? You first line abortive should be oxygen. Cheap, no side effects, incredibly effective for many on the board. I can abort an attack in less then 10 minutes, often times closer to 6 minutes, using just oxygen. You need to breathe pure oxygen, through a non re breather mask, at a high flow rate, at least 15 LPM, at the first sign of an attack.

I use imitrex injectables for the rare attacks the oxygen won't handle. Many other abortive meds for you to read up on.

For now, try slamming an energy drink down at the first sign of an attack. Monster, Rock Star, any containing the combo of Taurine and Caffeine. Many can abort or strongly reduce an attack with those. Linda leaves an open one in the fridge when she's on cycle so it loses it's fizz and goes down easier. Consider starting a daily magnesium supplement, a lot of info on the board showing a substantial benefit from magnesium. (I swear by it, I take it daily on and off cycle) If you do, also add calcium supplements as the magnesium leeches calcium from you.

You have much reading to do. You will obtain the best results from educating yourself, and working as a partnership with your doc to manage your CH routine. Plopping your butt in front of a doc and saying fix me just sets you up for many years of needless pain. You are not alone anymore, welcome to the board.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 6:57am

Torodol (sp) is a painkiller (I think) and is probably useless for CH.

Go with what Joe said -- the energy drinks (at the first sign of the headache - chug one). Melatonin at night (3-6mg to start and work up from there till you can sleep thru the night - gets you thru the REM sleep).

O2 is the first line of defense - 15-25 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask (works for about 70% of us) -

Then get a prevent (verapamil or lithium or topamax). and imitrex or ergotomine (cafergot) for an abortative. (vasoconstrictors).

In a pinch 3 Excedrin Extra Strength with a cup of coffee (don't take too often as these will cause rebounds).

But painkillers on CH don't do much and will cause the headaches to be worse.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 9:08am

tordol is a super charged anti inflammatory. in pill form it wont touch a ch hit most likely. it is too slow absorbed for most hits. it doesn't affect the vascular system like an imitrex  does. toradol in injectable is a tiny bit helpful only when combined with other injectable meds. It is fantastically affective for muscular/skeletol pain but not much
on vascular type pain.  this is only my opinion.
hang in there and we will hang with you.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 9:40am

Toradol is inappropriate--most especially as an early response to CH !! Too toxic.

See my response in this section, in the message-"mis-diagnosed".

And see,
---------

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the best overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article if you are serious about keeping a
good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:42pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

PGW
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:47am

Much thanks to all who responded.  There is such a wealth of information it is daunting to absorb it all.  The toradol prescription in question has me thinking twice about taking it at all.  I'm not liking what I have read about it online.
If I had a choice I think I would be leaning towards the oxygen.  When I mentioned this to the Dr. she seemed perplexed that I even mentioned it.  Her reply was, " Hm, well, there are all these forms to fill out etc."  Okay, so there are forms to fill out, whats the problem?  People have in home oxygen all the time, especially those with emphysema.
I live in a city with a population of 70k and I am one of about 25k here that do not have a family Doctor.  Our only recourse is to use the day clinic.  Every time you go you would be seeing a different Dr.  So I look forward to seeing a neurologist and then at least for this issue I will have a Doctor that I can deal with directly.
I am one of those people that is never sick or hurt, I only have back pain and CH to contend with.  Needless to say I am not use to taking medication for anything, maybe 2 prescriptions in the last 15 years.  After reading the list of side effects for Toradol I don't think I am comfortable taking it.  The irony of it all is that on the printout the druggist gave me lists headaches first on the list of side effects.  That was my first clue.
You guys have been great and I can't thank you enough

Have a pain free day!

Patricia

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 2:03pm

Patricia

If worse comes to worse -- go to the nearest firestation and tell them you need O2 (15 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask). They'll usually not argue with you... Afterwards, it would be a nice jester to take them some "homemade" cookies to "thank" them - so next time you need them, they'll be there.

If you do go to ER INSIST on O2 at the above rate of flow with the NON-REBREATHER mask!! Stomp your foot if you have to, but get it FAST! (Grabbing a doc by the neck helps get his attention  Wink ).

And there's nothing to fill out for O2 except a perscript form. O2, 15 liter regulator, non rebreather mask -- sign his damn name! My doc faxes it in to the supplier. Don't let them pull that one on you.

Stick around here and READ READ READ.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:07pm

Patricia, if all else fails in getting a scrip for 02 from your GP now, and waiting for the neuro - you can use use welder's 02

It's the same stuff, 100% oxygen.  You can get a NON rebreather mask and a regulator that goes to a minimum of 15 lpm on e-bay.   At least I know you can get a regulator there, masks (OK cluster family - help me out here).

I have a lovely grayish green tank, stands about 4' high ,that I rent from a welder's supply house for $56.00 per YEAR.  Just don't tell them you are going to be breathing it.  I said I was learning to weld to make metal yard decorations   Cool  Refills cost me about $16.00. 

It completely aborts my hits in mere minutes. 

Good luck on your doctors appointments.  Read everything you can here, hit the buttons on your left, print out everything.  Also, keep a log of your CH hits, time, duration, intensity, etc.  This will help the neuro to pinpoint the diagnosis and get help for you faster.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!