Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sleep Study anyone? (Read 1717 times)
fentimom
CH.com Newbie

x0|Torrington|USA||0|0|CT,Conn
Sleep Study anyone?
Aug 31st, 2008 at 6:08am

Hey,
I am the girlfriend of a CH-er that's been in a bad cycle for the past few years...he's on Verap, Lith, Depakote and uses O2 and Trex EVERYDAY!

I've been watching him sleep between headaches and have been wondering if these nighttime beasts can be helped by one of those sleep masks...

Could CH and Sleep apnea be related...just a question...you folks are the experts that's for sure!

And what about Acupuncture...anyone try that?

We  have to find something...he can't get a script for enough Trex to get through the month...

Thanks again for all your good info on here...jo

IP Logged

vina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

lewiston,Idaho
Re: Sleep Study anyone?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:35am

Hi Jo
Is he a vet. Karl (hus) got a scrip to cover his days.
I'm sure Karl will get to you on that.
Sorry your not sleeping. It does not come easy.
Best to you and you answers.
I'm very new to this to.  Vina

Many Blessings&&Vina

IP Logged

vina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

lewiston,Idaho
Re: Sleep Study anyone?nin
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:57am

hello:
glad you posted.
it is my belief that my cpap combined with trazadone has helped me sleep deeper and longer. most on this board use melatonin which is over the counter and is very effective as well.
I have also tried accupuntcer and chiropractic with no results.
the imitrex he gets can be extended; please read the imitrex tips on the side bar.
im a little lucky because my gp doctor gives me refills every 3-4 days but cost can be a major factor in imitrex, also most dr's don't want you to take more than 8 shots a month. which is problematic for ch folk.
does he use oxygen? it is the first line of defence for me and helps reduce the amount of trex i need. also does he use energy drinks like red bull or rock star or monster. they can also be very effective.
if you have more questions or need advice myself or anyone here will be more than willing to help. the tips i have given are very effective as others here will agree i am sure.
my wife Vina who wrote just above is my supporter and is priceless to me. it is hard on her i know, so please learn as much as you can from this site and  other supporters are here to help you.
the pain he is in we all relate too.
my wife and I take the team approach to the beast and it works better than going it alone (which i have also done)
so stay strong and we send good vibes to you and he.

Karl

Many Blessings&&Vina

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:03am

I know that a LOT of CH sufferers also suffer from sleep apnea.  But from what I've read here on the board, people get much better sleep on a CPAP machine but it doesn't help with CH.

I'm sure Brew will chime in on this thread.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:17am

Cephalalgia. 2003 May;23(4):276-9.

Cluster headache associated with sleep apnoea.

Nobre ME, Filho PF, Dominici M.

Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. eduarda@imagelink.com.br

This study of sleep changes in patients with cluster headache (CH) was conducted in view of the nocturnal predominance of this condition, the efficacy of oxygen and the fact that the attacks follow oxygen desaturation. Proposed mechanisms include impairment of carotid body activity secondary to hypothalamic vasomotor regulatory dysfunction. Sixteen patients with episodic CH and 29 healthy volunteers underwent nocturnal polysomnography. Five (31.3%) patients with episodic CH were found to have sleep apnoea (SA). Two patients with SA experienced two attacks during the study period. The attacks followed episodes of oxygen desaturation and were associated with REM sleep. In two patients with SA and CH, treatment with continuous positive airway pressure abolished their oxygen desaturation, sleep apnoeas and headaches. OUR STUDY CONFIRMED THE HIGH PERCENTAGE OF CH ASSOCIATED WITH SA. WE SUGGEST THAT OXYGEN DESATURATION MAY BE A TRIGGER FACTOR IN SOME PATIENTS AND PLAY A ROLE IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF CH.

Publication Types:
Comparative Study

PMID: 12716345 [PubMed]
=======================

Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10. 

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5.

THE RELATIONSHIP SLEEP APNEA HAS IN THE PERPETUATION OR PRECIPITATION OF CLUSTER HEADACHE IS STILL TO BE DETERMINED. THERE ARE SOME REPORTS THAT TREATMENT STOPS THE CLUSTER BUT THERE IS NO PROSPECTIVE STUDY. THE HIGH INCIDENCE (80.64%) SEEN IN THIS POPULATION SUGGESTS THE CLUSTER PATIENT SHOULD RECEIVE A SLEEP EVALUATION AND PERHAPS INTERVENTION WITH CONTINUOUS POSITIVE AIRWAY PRESSURE (CPAP) OR AN APPROPRIATE DENTAL DEVICE.

PMID: 15186306 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:18pm

DennisM1045 wrote on Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:03am:
I know that a LOT of CH sufferers also suffer from sleep apnea.  But from what I've read here on the board, people get much better sleep on a CPAP machine but it doesn't help with CH.

I'm sure Brew will chime in on this thread.

-Dennis-

As Dennis has stated, I'm not sure it really helps with the CH. I know that it has made my life immeasurably better by helping me sleep more deeply and restfully. When going into battle with the beast, it's always better to be able to do so well rested.

IP Logged

fentimom
CH.com Newbie

x0|Torrington|USA||0|0|CT,Conn
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:48am

Thanks for all the info...and Bob...where do you find that medical study info?? I love it! I am constantly on a quest to understand these headaches and always wonder what studies are done!

It's just so amazing to me how the experts (are there any REAL experts on this???) can't figure out what causes such excruciating pain. My Tom was 47 years old when he got his first cluster. Went undiagnosed for years and suffered terribly. I finally found this site and one of the guys on here turned us on to NE Headache Center. They put Tom on Verapamil and Lith and O2 and he was pain free almost overnight.

Well, the honeymoon didn't last. For almost a year the drugs and O2 kept things pretty managable, but this past year, they keep increasing doses of Verap and Lith and he's getting pounded more often and harder than ever.

So...that's why I am constantly thinking of reasons why and alternative ideas. I bought him Melatonin months ago but he hasn't taken it. It's 3 mg and has something called Theanine in it as well. I started taking it and it gave me stomach issues so we were reluctant for him to start on it with all the other drugs he is consuming, but sounds like some of you  have had luck with it, eh?

Well, I think the Sleep Study is worth a try based on what you've said. Heck, it can't hurt at this point. He's shooting himself with Trex EVERYNIGHT and that can't be good.

This site is a blessing. Thanks to all of you for taking the time.

Jo and Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!