Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you... (Read 1813 times)
Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
How do you...
Sep 6th, 2008 at 5:47pm

pick yourself up on a PF day? I'm getting a few shadows, but have been mostly PF all day. Yet instead of getting out there and living life, I have no energy and just want to sit in quiet and do nothing.

I need a good kick up the backside really.

Tell me what you do to get going when the hits stop.

Em

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

toledoviking
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: How do you...
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 7:24pm

Forgive me for offereing my opinion as new poster but I thank God for the brief time I am not in pain during the episods. and cause I am so afaird of losing my job I actually make excuses during work to get away from the other people so they cant see me.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 7:52pm

Hi Em,

It can be tough to stop looking over your shoulder for the next hit.  But you have to find a way. 

I usually look to people that don't have CH.  My kids, my wife, my coworkers ... anyone that doesn't know the beast and is likely to be in a good mood.  They help me forget the pain and the fear.

If no one is around then I turn to this site.  Help a newbie.  Read a funny post.  Read about the pain of another poster and virtually reach out.  That usually makes me appreciate what PF time I have a bit more.

You have a responsibility to yourself to find something to smile about.  Now go find it...

Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:44pm

my motto....think positive............................& sitting quietly & doing nothing is okay 2....it may be what u need @ that moment.........................maybe while u r sitting quietly and doing nothing you could try "journaling"........................it helps me
deb

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:03am

If nothing's happening, I just tend to use the time for myself. Surf the web, chat with friends, so on. But if they offer something to do, I go case by case basis.

Don't think that if you're pain free, you should suddenly become some sort of "superperson". There are plenty of people without CH out there who sit just quietly and do nothing all day Wink

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:44am

My old dog is not much of a "lover" but every now and then I'll wake up at 2 am to find his head on my shoulder, his muzzle tucked on my cheek.

Appreciating and accepting little gifts is our way of giving thanks.........

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:46am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:09pm

Quote:
sitting quietly & doing nothing is okay 2

It's hard not to feel guilty though with this when your family and friends are on hold. But you're right!! I think part of it is the blues. Just posting made me feel better actually!

Thanks for the responses. It's nice just to get that oomph to do something.

You'll be pleased to hear I went swimming yesterday and to the driving range to practice my golf this morning. I did have to force myself, but felt better for it.

PFD to all!

Em
x

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:14pm

Atta-girl Em!  Cool

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 10:48pm

Sit on that backside all you want.  Its quiet, pain free time and if you just need to rest then go for it.

I have a day off from work planned in a few weeks.  I'll drop the kids off at day care come home to my recliner where I will fall in and out of sleep through the morning.  Wake up, order a pizza and devour the sucker before taking a nap.  I will not go to the gym, golf, cut the grass or one single chore around the house.  And I hope it rains that day. 

Sometime we just need to kick back and do absolutely nothing.  So yes, enjoying pain free time does include sitting around and doing nothing.  Hope their are more PF days in you future

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:21pm

Quote:
My old dog is not much of a "lover" but every now and then I'll wake up at 2 am to find his head on my shoulder, his muzzle tucked on my cheek.

Appreciating and accepting little gifts is our way of giving thanks.........

Words of wisdom Bob.

Sometimes when you have no energy because the beast zapped it out of you, what I do is come here, try to help someone, and then put on my head=phones and listen to some really uplifting music.  Hanels...Hallelujah chorus comes to mind.    LOL

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;   (Turn up your speakers.  If that don't wake you up and make you want to boogy....nothing will.)

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 11:27pm

When the hits stop coming regularly and I am pain free for awhile while in cycle, I usually plan a family outing. I  Take the kids somewhere fun-  a day trip somewhere because when I am in cycle I am usually too exhausted and I am just sort of existing and trying to maintain the status quo.  Work, running the kids to sports, lessons etc.  Thats hard enough when not in cycle.

Also, there is nothing like a super clean house to me when in cycle.  I usually have a cleaning lady come every two weeks just for my sanity even when I am not in cycle.  This past cycle,  I had her come 1 extra time per month.  Somehow , that little extra break  and the enjoyment I got in coming home to a clean, organized house- was the extra way to take care of myself.  I was then free to relax and enjoy the kids and free time catching up on the gossip from People Magazine   Wink,  without feeling like there was extra stuff I had to do.   Need to find a new though-  last one quit- I have been without for a month and my bathtub is pretty rough    Undecided

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:48pm

There's some great stuff here which would be good for newbies too.

Quote:
Sit on that backside all you want.  Its quiet, pain free time and if you just need to rest then go for it.

As I said before, I feel a bit guilty, but now you guys have given me permission to do this!! My OH was good to me on Sunday, saying that if I wanted to rest, then to curl up on the sofa while the football and F1 was on. We both win - he gets peace and quiet for the sports and I get a PF nap! Gotta love our supporters!

Quote:
listen to some really uplifting music

I love this idea too Linda. You inspired me - I set up a folder on my iPod called Get Up! Got all my favourite upbeat tracks on it that make me want to get up and do something.

Now I just need to convince OH that I need a cleaner too and I'm all set!!  Wink

You folks rock.  Smiley

xx

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:51pm

PS - Kev, that day off sounds like HEAVEN!! I'm so jealous!! I've been using my holiday time for study for the last 3 months. Once my exams are over in October, I'll be copying that idea and stay in my pj's all day.

Smiley

IP Logged

DV8
CH.com Newbie

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 5:50am

Personally, I have exceptionally long remission times, my last one lasting for over 7 years. As a result, I get to look forward to the end of a cycle and that's a big help to me. While in a cycle, I don't have daily attacks, and all things combined, have never got to a point where I could get used to not doing anything on a PFD. I treat every day as a PFD until an attack hits, and I try to make the most of it, not forgetting to take the proper precautions of course. The only thing that I can't do is take O2 with me, since that would be too cumbersome. (My attacks are relatively short, so O2, while offering relief, doesn't really add anything in terms of aborting an attack.) One of the things that I have learned is that in comparison to a CH, any other pain is minor and negligible, so I happily engage in several contact sports, even on my PFDs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!