Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Freeze yourself :) (Read 5085 times)
MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Freeze yourself :)
Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:51am

The pain from these headaches is caused from the blood vessels being unable to control their dilation and just pouring blood into your skull.
Well this is the same thing that happens with a brainfreeze, except your blood vessels are doing it on purpose so the pain is a lot less and brief.  When I was having a headache I realized that it's just an extreme brainfreeze and I need to get the blood out of my head to other parts of my body.

So I grabbed two Ice packs with both hands and stood on two others and blood seemed to leave my head and aim for my hands and feet.

(If you can't stand for whatever reason it helps to put freezing cold ice packs on ur belly)

I play drums, I've worked hard to get good and CH is taking that joy away!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Freeze yourself :)
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 1:04am

uh...o.k.

Since you're from Az.  I assume you know what you're talking about.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Geewilly
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 1:13am

Careful Linda,

This is a new person here...don't need him going off on some rant like some may do!  I did hehe  Cool  You don't have the answer either even though you over 7,000 posts!

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 1:18am

Hi Matt-

I put icepacks on my head too during a hit and press it real hard.   Don't know much about ice on my feet at the same time.  But I am of the opinion, that if it works for you and helps you with your pain then more power to you   Wink

In desperate times , I may find myself one day pulling out more icepacks-  who knows?   Smiley

Thanks for being here-  Hoping you get some more relief soon!

Kelly

IP Logged

MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:59am

My dad suffered from CH for 25 years.
He found one doctor within our county who committed the majority of his studies to CH because he had them as a result from a brain tumor.  this is what he believed to cause the actual pain from the HAs, and I don't usually do the Icepacks, we have a hottub thats always 25 degrees cooler than the outside... guess it shouldnt be called a hottub
but I jump in that now.

and don't insult people from Arizona, because its too damn hot here to take peoples crap about living here.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:04am

So, this is the cure we've all been looking for? I am intrigued, to say the least.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:52am

Hi Matt,

How long did it take to abort the hit this way? 

I believe this is a lot like breathing air directly out of an A/C or any other technique for inducing vasoconstriction through hyperthermia.

While it sound pretty painful to have ice on the soles of your feet, I'm glad you found something that works for you.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:02am

I read in the past about some one who walked on a cold tile floor and that seemed to help him.  Makes sense to me.  Glad it's helping.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:14am

Ice never seems to work for me (I prefer a hot pack on the neck) but I'll give it a try.

I’ll bet it works for this guy though!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:23am

i find ice can help and will try it on my fingers and on my toes ( ooh WET WET WET)!!!! Wink

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:02am

if it works for you then all power to you but i doubt its the magic cure.

to be able to say what causes ch is quite a statement. actually what you describe is the main effect of a migraine. ch has many other complicated and unkown cause'e and effects.

sorry i have a thing about folks that say its a migraine.

anyway a multi pronged attack is my approach and i am always looking for another weapon to my arsenal as the beast is always changing tactics so i must always change too. i have to say standing on ice oacks sounds really cold. sure its not diversion effect??

i apologize if i am bit snippy. Smiley

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:49am

Hi, Matt,
It is the vascular stimulation, you could also go for a jog and have the same result.  Coffee or energy drinks will do the same. I live in Montana, when being hit ,I will go stick my head in a snow bank. It is like heaven ,on the hot head and fire eyes.
BTW: Please disregard the spiteful post of our resident troll Geewilly.

I hope you have a treatment plan that works for you. Read and study your condition. You will find the information you gather will help you in the future, to keep the doctors from treating you improperly.
all the best
thebb
PS: Ice can also make things worse for some people, and heat is their saviour.
Never relax ever.
Karl is right, your describing migraines. Our pain comes from the trigerminal nerve. I think.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:04pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Thanks Matt.  I frequently use ice when battling the the beast.  I never thought to use ice on other parts of the body.  I will keep that in mind the next go around.

As for the nay sayers, keep in mind the drug of choice with most clusterheads are triptans.  Triptans were developed to treat migraines and work as a vasoconstrictor.  CH may have other contributors to our pain, but there is a vascular componet involved.  Matt never said it is the magic cure, it is just what he does to battle the beast.  Thanks for sharing Matt.

Thomas

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 1:29pm

Quote:
As for the nay sayers,

I am not reading any nay saying, just different opinions. Undecided
There is much more work to be done regarding CH research.
Many treatments for CH are migraine hand me downs. CH is not migraine and triptans fail for CH often.Others are beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, psychotropics and many more. There are reported results and failures for all. It is very individual and unique to all of us. Matt posted what worked for him we all have relevant experience that we will post based on that. They will all be different. and the more you know Wink Thanks for posting that.

Quote:
keep in mind the drug of choice with most clusterheads are triptans.  

There is no drug of choice for us in my opinion. With this level of pain and the relentlessness  of it...there is no choice. Treat it or die. Learn to live with it and control it or die. Study it find what works for you or ....well you get my point.That is my opinion. Get hit with a 16 month episode and your going to try anything.
 I have had many treatments work one or two times and then fail. Over the years I have found that you must have an open mind to all treatments or you will fail in the most important battle of your life. Shocked  ...the battle with CH.

Quote:
CH may have other contributors to our pain, but there is a vascular componet involved.

I couldn't agree more and thanks for posting that. Cool

Edit:Here's the way I see it.
What are the causes of Cluster Headache?
The cluster headache condition appears to be caused by an abnormality in the hypothalamus.
The Hypothalamus is the control center of all autonomic regulatory activities of the body. It has been said that the hypothalamus is the brain of the brain. It is the hub for automatic and endocrine homeostatic systems such as cardiovascular, temperature, and abdominal visceral regulation. It manages all endocrine hormonal levels, pituitary gland regulation, blood pressure regulation, hunger and salt cravings, feeding reflexes, thirst, body temperature, hydration, heart rate, bladder function, water preservation, hormonal/neurotransmitter regulation, ovarian function, testicular function, mood & behavioral functions, wakefulness, metabolism, sleep cycles and energy levels.sensory processing, and organizing body metabolism, as well as ingestive behaviors. It appears that almost everything the Hypothalamus does is related in some way to the management of brain and body connection, linking the psyche (mind) to the body.

This abnormality is an extra-thick layer of cells. It is something CH sufferers are born with, although Chiropractors will tell you it is caused by misalignment in the neck or spine. This was one theory, but it has been disproved long ago - so don't waste your money.

Your odd hypothalamus sends scrambled messages to your nervous system, causing vascular constriction and other as-yet unknown effects which cause immense PAIN which is not treatable with any normal pain medicine.

CH headaches are not actually a 'headache' like a migraine or a caffeine withdrawal headache. It is more like a type of direct brain-dysfunction that is more painful and disabling that anyone can imagine.

I hate this condition with a frikkkkkin passion. Angry
all the best
thebb

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:27pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Quote:
Quote:
As for the nay sayers,

I am not reading any nay saying, just different opinions. Undecided
There is much more work to be done regarding CH research.
Many treatments for CH are migraine hand me downs. CH is not migraine and triptans fail for CH often.Others are beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, psychotropics and many more. There are reported results and failures for all. It is very individual and unique to all of us. Matt posted what worked for him we all have relevant experience that we will post based on that. They will all be different. and the more you know Wink Thanks for posting that.

Quote:
keep in mind the drug of choice with most clusterheads are triptans.  

There is no drug of choice for us in my opinion. With this level of pain and the relentlessness  of it...there is no choice. Treat it or die. Learn to live with it and control it or die. Study it find what works for you or ....well you get my point.That is my opinion. Get hit with a 16 month episode and your going to try anything.
 I have had many treatments work one or two times and then fail. Over the years I have found that you must have an open mind to all treatments or you will fail in the most important battle of your life. Shocked  ...the battle with CH.

Quote:
CH may have other contributors to our pain, but there is a vascular componet involved.

I couldn't agree more and thanks for posting that. Cool

I hate this condition with a frikkkkkin passion. Angry
all the best
thebb

Well said Thebzz,  I am glad you can read it that way.  The written word is often reciever based.  Differing opinions are good, and I see that for the most part, but there are a few twists of what the original post states and a couple stabs of sarcasm in there as well.  I don't mean to go all Geewilly or anything, but really, is Geewilly the only one crossing the line?  

And yes, you are right.  Triptans are one of many drugs used to fight the beast.  I like the way you phrase it.

Thomas

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Quote:
but really, is Geewilly the only one crossing the line? 

Given his history, yes.  ShockedYou will see Thomas. Dont feed the troll. It's about CH, not Geewilly or anyone else for that matter. Cool
Hey Matt, I love working around walk in freezers. Cheesy Going to sub-zero with the whole body for 15 min. provides some relief.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:27pm

I am sorry  Embarrassed if i crossed an unknown line, i just don't appreciate someone patronizing me with a cure all of standing on ice.
yes vasocconstriction or vasodilation are a part of ch. in all actuality it is a syptom of a larger problem with the hypothalmus.
i am not equipped to handle a scientific debate  Cheesy, the real issue is I don't think standing on ice is going to stop the horrible  pain we all share.
sorry i am so skeptical of the original post. I will bow out with apologies to the original and Thomas
its all good Cool

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 6:29pm

He never said that CH was caused by the vascular component, but "the pain of CH" is caused by the vascular component, which is true.  Gotta read all the words.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 6:38pm

like I said I bow out !!!!

IP Logged

MattDaley
CH.com Newbie

I PLAY DRUMS!

Arizona
Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:34pm

First, I'm 17 and a senior in high school battling this for only about two weeks.
My dad is the one who gives me ideas from his experiences of battling CH for 25 years.
I never said this is the magic cure, so don't make it seem like i said that.
It works for me so I put it out here for people like me who hate the idea of having to constantly take pills and risk becoming dependent on pills.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:43pm

Quote:
My dad is the one who gives me ideas from his experiences of battling CH for 25 years.

He gets my vote, that's who I would listen to.
Thanks for participating Matt.  Dad has gotten you to a neurologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.? Hope your not getting hit too bad.
What do you use to abort your HA?
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:13pm

Matt i offer you a sincere apology. i was being an ass.
to explain a little i am having a hard time and i guess i am just a bit tempermental.
honestly i am normlly a nice and compassionate man. you just caught me on a bad day.
give me another chance and i promise i will be nicer. Embarrassed

IP Logged

cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus

Delaware|
Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:20pm

Karl,

We have all been where you are now so don't sweat it and believe me, I and many others totally understand....been there, done that... so quit being so hard on yourself (even though the apology was very cool).

Fingers crossed for many, many PF days, months, years and decades ahead.

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Quote:
I am sorry  Embarrassed if i crossed an unknown line, i just don't appreciate someone patronizing me with a cure all of standing on ice.
yes vasocconstriction or vasodilation are a part of ch. in all actuality it is a syptom of a larger problem with the hypothalmus.
i am not equipped to handle a scientific debate  Cheesy, the real issue is I don't think standing on ice is going to stop the horrible  pain we all share.
sorry i am so skeptical of the original post. I will bow out with apologies to the original and Thomas
its all good Cool

Karl, It is all good.  I have read many of your post and know you have nothing but good intentions.  My crossing the line/Geewilly statement was directed at someone else.  It is one thing to poke fun at some one or even make a smart comment, but I felt someone was insulting the man's intelligence just to be mean.  That is just uncalled for...

Thomas

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 2:11pm

cynjeep89 wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:20pm:
Karl,

We have all been where you are now so don't sweat it and believe me, I and many others totally understand....been there, done that... so quit being so hard on yourself (even though the apology was very cool).

I know that I've been there more than twice.  It happens.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!