Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HISTAMINE OVERLOAD!  I found the cause for my CH (Read 11749 times)
brilmont
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Phoenix|USA||0|0|AZ,Arizona
HISTAMINE OVERLOAD!  I found the cause for my CH
Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:46am

I feel your pain!  I'm 47 years old, suffering from CH for the last 22 years.  The last 2.5 years have been chronic.  Lots of doctors including neurologists and endocronologists and they can't find anything.  Most don't even try, only to prescribe an anti-seizure med and a pain med.  I've done alot of my own research especially in the last 2.5 years since I haven't been able to do much else.  I finally figured it out just recently.  HISTAMINE OVERLOAD!  Please do some research on histamine intolerance.  Try a low histamine diet for at least 3-6 weeks while you're in a cycle.  NO CHEESE, TOMATOES, CHOCOLATE, RED WINE, SPINACH, STRAWBERRIES, ETC.  Try an Anti-histamine (ie. Zyrtec, Claritin, Benadryl) to help block the histamine while dieting.  I think this will help many of you as it has me.  I've included a few articles to get you started on your research. GOOD LUCK.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: HISTAMINE OVERLOAD!  I found the cause for my CH
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 7:49am

I'm histamine intolerant, and none of that has helped me with the cluster headaches at all. Sad I'm glad it worked for you.

I'm on Ketotifen tablets (had to buy it from Canada) and that has changed, and most likely saved my life. Before that I used an epi pen at least once a week. Haven't had to use one in 9 months now. Cheesy

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:38pm

Quote:
Lots of doctors including neurologists and endocronologists and they can't find anything.  Most don't even try, .....
Of course they don't find anything. To do so, they would have to cut deep into your brain, to find your hypothalamus differs from the average. The cause of your CH is a defect in your hypothalamus, not a histamine overload.

However, histamine, being one of the many neurotransmitters, can in abundance trigger a cluster attack.

Your list "NO CHEESE, TOMATOES, CHOCOLATE, RED WINE, SPINACH, STRAWBERRIES, ETC." reminds me strongly of the infamous meegraine trigger list. I've never been triggered by any of these (well, I can't vouch for spinach, I don't eat that weed).

For me a combination of good ripe Swiss cheese and alcohol is a sure fire trigger. With the presence of alcohol the uptake of histamines is speeded up a hundred fold. The resulting histamine peak is for me high enough to trigger an attack of 2 - 3 hours.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:58pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:38pm:
Quote:
Lots of doctors including neurologists and endocronologists and they can't find anything.  Most don't even try, .....
Of course they don't find anything. To do so, they would have to cut deep into your brain, to find your hypothalamus differs from the average. The cause of your CH is a defect in your hypothalamus, not a histamine overload.

However, histamine, being one of the many neurotransmitters, can in abundance trigger a cluster attack.

Your list "NO CHEESE, TOMATOES, CHOCOLATE, RED WINE, SPINACH, STRAWBERRIES, ETC." reminds me strongly of the infamous meegraine trigger list. I've never been triggered by any of these (well, I can't vouch for spinach, I don't eat that weed).

For me a combination of good ripe Swiss cheese and alcohol is a sure fire trigger. With the presence of alcohol the uptake of histamines is speeded up a hundred fold. The resulting histamine peak is for me high enough to trigger an attack of 2 - 3 hours.

Smiley

That is part of the migraine and histamine intolerance list, however, it's not the full one for histamine intolerance. It's just foods high in histamine.

These things are to be avoided. I haven't seen people mentioning a lot of these things as triggers for their Cluster Headaches though...

Histamine Rich Foods(Copypasta'd from a PDF):
Fish: Mackeral, Herring, Sardine, Tuna.
Cheese:Gouda, Carnernbert, Cheddar, Ernmental, Swiss, Parmesan
Meat: Fermented Sausage, Salami, Fermented Ham
Vegetables: Sauerkraut, Spinach, Eggplant, Tomato Ketchup
Wine:
White Wine
Red Wine
Top-Fermented Beer
Bottom-Fermented Beer
Champagne
Red Wine Vinegar
Citrus fruit, Papaya, Strawberries, Pineapple, Nuts, Peanuts, Tomatoes, Chocolate, Fish, Crustaceans, Pork, Egg White, Additives, Licorice, Spices.

Up til I wound up on the ketotifen, every time I ate an orange, my nose would swell up and I'd get congested. It was horrible. Now? I can eat as many oranges as I like.

I haven't found -any- of these foods to trigger my CH yet...  My CH tends to trigger my histamine intolerance though, because if I'm stressed, my body produces more histamine, which breaks me out in hives. And the pain of a cluster headache can do that. However, I don't think I'll try any of these in combination if I can avoid it...

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus

Go Cubbies  / even though
they suck

x1|naperville|USA|usa|360|126|IL,Illinois
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:58am

Hi brilmont.

About 15 years or so ago I was introduced to a treatment called histamine desensitization. This treatment is offered by Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago (my clinic)I have been through this treatment 2 times the first time my CHs left me for almost 8 long years. Now mine you I have been chronic since the ripe old age of 14 getting 3 to 4 hits a day for 15 years when I first showed up on Diamonds front door and then a year later I went to this treatment and for 8 years almost no hits (you can see why there my doctors) shit I thought I was cured but then they came back so I went in for the second time and that time it lasted about 3 years not as good but still pretty damn good.

So I guess what I'm saying is it worked for me, that don't mean it would work for everyone.

Dave

IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:11pm

Hey Dave!!!

I am new to the site but I am also a patient at Diamond!!!!  Who is your Dr. there?  They are a great medical center to work with.  This is my 3rd year as a patient there and they have helped me control my CH.  I will ask about that treatment the next time I am there, I notice a lot of sneezing during the day and then attacks at night. 

Thanks for your input!!

Laura

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:32pm

Hello Laura:

As a former patient of Seymour Diamond, MD, I've been through that diet (no help) and had a couple of sessions of histamine desensitzation, and none of those worked FOR ME.

I hope that you get better results, like Dave did.  CH are a tough beast to beat.  Have you tried high flow Oxygen to abort your attacks?

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:51pm

Brilmont,

You came on here back last March with a whole different theory, wrote a whole page about it and then ended it by asking if we keep the TV on when we sleep.

Many responded but you had disappeared. Today you come back with a different theory. My advise to you is that if you truly want to learn about your (self-diagnosed as per your first post last spring) headache, maybe you should stay and learn a little.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:30pm

brilmont wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:46am:
Try a low histamine diet for at least 3-6 weeks while you're in a cycle.  NO CHEESE, TOMATOES, CHOCOLATE, RED WINE, SPINACH, STRAWBERRIES, ETC.  Try an Anti-histamine (ie. Zyrtec, Claritin, Benadryl) to help block the histamine while dieting.

Easier to take Benadryl to see if it lessens the CH activities or eat the above foods (except alcohol) to see if they trigger CH, than an elimination diet for weeks to see if it helps---many episodics end the cycle anyway while missing out on precious nutrients fruits and veggies can offer.

I grazed tomatoes all day off my plants, loads and loads of tomatoes everyday in high cycle to the point of worrying myself about potassium overload. Apparently I don't have any histamine intolerance as tons of tomatoes didn't trigger one CH, as long as my eyes are well protected from the sun and I didn't sweat much in the backyard.  And I'm fish eater......histamine-rich blue fish on the list Pixie pasted, plus lots of "fermented" stuff on a daily basis.  I guess I'm lucky enough to have no food allergy or intolerance (just lactose and fructose).

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:42pm

I eat whatever I want. Doesn't do anything but nourish me. No food is a trigger for me. but that's me.
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 1:41am

Quote:
I eat whatever I want. Doesn't do anything but nourish me. No food is a trigger for me. but that's me.
all the best
the bb

Pretty much the same here.

I spent a long time trying to isolate various things that started a cycle, and never found anything.  They just came along every May/June and October/November.

The only things (for me) that trigger an individual attack during a cycle are REM sleep and alcohol.

'Course, I get nailed during a cycle anyway...   Undecided

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 3:35pm

Quote:
I eat whatever I want. Doesn't do anything but nourish me. No food is a trigger for me. but that's me. all the best
the bb

Ditto.

IP Logged

eagle
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:46pm

A low histamine diet worked for me too! I just passed through my third cluster without a headache. Few people outside our “community” know what a huge deal that last sentence is. It sounds like others have tried it without success but I would encourage people to give it a try. It’s been amazing for me. I’ve had regular spring/fall clusters for the past 14 years (with occasional smaller clusters in between). About 1 ½ years ago a naturopath suggested that I try a low histamine diet. I went on it about a month before I usually enter my spring cluster and stayed on it for the duration. Not one headache. I could definitely sense that things were going on and I had a few shadows but it never tipped over the edge. After that I went back to a normal diet until the fall. Then I did the same thing with the same results. This spring I didn’t start the diet until I felt that I was about to enter a cluster and that worked OK. I was a little less strict this spring and did have to bust out the O2 once but I probably would have been OK without it.

My level of understanding of the physiology of it isn’t that great but this is my general understanding. Our body makes histamines in response to allergens (and for other reasons). Foods contain them as well. If we avoid foods that contain lots of it we can lower our overall histamine levels. Then, when we’re in a cluster and our hypothalamus misfires and causes histamines to kick out and dilate our blood vessels and cause us horrendous pain, there’s simply not enough histamines to do the normal damage. I’m sure those of you more knowledgeable will tear that up.

The overall histamine level is also why the traditional food-journal never helped me. There’s not one trigger. The orange you ate before you got a headache wasn’t necessarily the cause. The ham and Swiss you ate earlier was just as guilty. The food list is pretty long, and there are lots of variations of it out there. It’s a really annoying diet but totally worth it.

Interestingly, I went to see the naturopath only after I had inadvertently put myself on a high-histamine diet. Typically my spring/fall clusters last 1-2 months but I was in one that had been going on for 4+ months and was worse than any I’d ever had. With my tools (O2, verapamil and imitrex) no longer being enough and me having a hard time getting an appointment with my neurologist I went to see a naturopath who I knew (who wasn’t familiar with cluster headaches but did some research and came up with an amazing shot in the dark). My inadvertent high-histamine diet was an anti-inflamatory, low-pH diet that I was trying. It turns out that my daily apple-cider vinegar tonics and pineapple/spinach smoothies were just about the worst things I could have done.

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 4:12pm

I think some need to look at triggers in a more broad perspective. It seems that if the offending agent did not start an attack within a few minutes, many dismiss it. Keep a journal, if not on paper, at least make a mental note of what and when you eat.

So many say it's only alcohol, or one thing they eat, and discredit those things as not the same as food triggers, but anomalies. They are consumed and absorbed into your body, so they are food. Even if its a pill, it still is adding substance to your body that may consist of concentrations derived from, or at least found in food.

What you eat and how much will determine how quickly your body absorbs.
On an empty stomach. try eating a few helpings of a good probiotic sauerkraut, then let it digest. Give it some time to absorb. See what happens. For me, that will spawn a series of attacks for about 5 hours that I can't get rid of. If I were to just eat whatever, whenever, and never look at the big picture, I may never figure this out.

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 9:43am

Pixie-elf wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:58pm:
AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:38pm:
Quote:

Smiley

That is part of the migraine and histamine intolerance list, however, it's not the full one for histamine intolerance. It's just foods high in histamine.

These things are to be avoided. I haven't seen people mentioning a lot of these things as triggers for their Cluster Headaches though...

Histamine Rich Foods(Copypasta'd from a PDF):
Fish: Mackeral, Herring, Sardine, Tuna.
Cheese:Gouda, Carnernbert, Cheddar, Ernmental, Swiss, Parmesan
Meat: Fermented Sausage, Salami, Fermented Ham
Vegetables: Sauerkraut, Spinach, Eggplant, Tomato Ketchup
Wine:
White Wine
Red Wine
Top-Fermented Beer
Bottom-Fermented Beer
Champagne
Red Wine Vinegar
Citrus fruit, Papaya, Strawberries, Pineapple, Nuts, Peanuts, Tomatoes, Chocolate, Fish, Crustaceans, Pork, Egg White, Additives, Licorice, Spices.

Up til I wound up on the ketotifen, every time I ate an orange, my nose would swell up and I'd get congested. It was horrible. Now? I can eat as many oranges as I like.

I haven't found -any- of these foods to trigger my CH yet...  My CH tends to trigger my histamine intolerance though, because if I'm stressed, my body produces more histamine, which breaks me out in hives. And the pain of a cluster headache can do that. However, I don't think I'll try any of these in combination if I can avoid it...

Maybe alcohol, but no other food triggers for me - Thank goodness.
If I had to give up all that, the cure would be worse than the disease. Wink

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:07am

Cluster headache is also known as histamine headache.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:09am

Bob,

Good point... Unfortunately modern neurology classifies CH as a trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia (TAC) and apparently shies away from the earlier instantiations, "histaminic cephalalgia," or Horton's histamine cephalalgia possibly due to a medieval connotation. 

It's interesting to note that some refer to a histamine headache as a symptom rather than a disorder in itself.  To my way of thinking, this is a more appropriate definition. 

Taking it one step further, based on five years of collecting data from over 600 CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and >80% of them achieving a significant reduction in the frequency, intensity and duration of their CH, I'm inclined to think cluster headache is a genetotrophic disorder.  This is a disorder which results from genetically determined nutritional metabolic needs not being met by the individual and which result in poor gene expression.   

A histamine triggered CH arising from an allergic reaction is more than likely a spoiler...  as are other comorbid conditions such as infections, trauma and surgery which also result in inflammation and an immune system response...  My 2 Cents...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 3:04am

Hiya Batch...it has been so long that I have thought critically...that I fear I have lost the ability.
Just an old retired guy who delivers food and cheer to old folks.........

...and...I have not one single point of disagreement here...I am just puzzled...

CH doesn't seem to be genetically passed along...at least not as nearly consistently/reportedly as meeegraine...so a genetic nutritional anomaly seems unlikely...yes/no? Or perhaps...mayhaps...whether genetically predisposed or not...nutritional intake differences may be more important than genetics itself?!...I think that's what you are saying...but not sure.....

Re the allergy:ch connection.....I have ALWAYS believed there is some kind of connection...and I have NO idea what role histamine plays. I do note that 2 1/2 yrs of chemo destroyed by immune system and I am allergic to more environmental and food items than I can list. So happy to be alive ....yet miserable all too frequently. The Docs poo-poo any connection...but like most clusterheads... I know my body...and A>B.

Still....until the chemo.... I was actively chronically a busthead clusterhead...NOW...with multiple allergies...treated semi-successfully with Zyrtec and that wonderful benadryl (D3 too, just in case)l...I still shadow every day...but rarely get hit.....

It IS a puzzlement...and seems exactly inverse to likelihood: i.e. multiple and severe allergic reactions WITHOUT concomitant severe CH activity....

Just commenting here...a confused reader who always appreciates what you do for the family...and...to paraphrase Brian..."just a 34 yr clusterhead... and still no damn good at it"

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:04am

Of course, CH has also been called serotonin headache.  Take your pick.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:56pm

jon019 wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 3:04am:
CH doesn't seem to be genetically passed along...at least not as nearly consistently/reportedly as meeegraine...so a genetic nutritional anomaly seems unlikely...yes/no? Or perhaps...mayhaps...whether genetically predisposed or not...nutritional intake differences may be more important than genetics itself?!...I think that's what you are saying...but not sure.....

For some people there is a genetic link with CH (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register), however this only accounts for a few percent of people.

Equally there is a chance that there is an environment link too but given the low incidence of CH in the general population, this is not going to be a significant link otherwise you might expect a lot more people to get CH than do so.

There is research (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) on genetic links for food allergies.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 3:03pm

Hey Jon,

I understand puzzled...  I've spent the last 20 years researching the various facets of CH and the interventions commonly prescribed.  I found out a long time ago, it's best to track down the actual clinical trial associated with the  findings of interest. 

Until 2010, I could find no rhyme or reason for CH and its cyclic nature save for a possible link to the brain's body clock...

All that changed in October of 2010 when I stumbled onto vitamin D3 as a CH preventative...  I still don't have all the answers but what I do have is a far more relevant physiological framework upon which I can examine the leading theories.

Sooo... after all that... shadows are still a cluster headache...  Try a short loading schedule of 50,000 IU/day of vitamin D3 for five days and up your maintenance dose by 5,000 IU/day.

Take care and please keep us posted.

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:45pm

Hey everyone.  I haven't been here in ages, but I just wanted to come back and say this is a trigger for me too.  It's not quick by any means, but going on a 21 day histamine elimination diet switched all of my headaches to shadows. Eating meatballs made with parmesan and romano cheese and tomato sauce for dinner had me up at 3 am again. I found a list of what I could eat on thelowhistaminechef.com, and ordered histablock and dao histamine digester on Amazon.  I also ordered a book or two, but they were obnoxious and contradictory, so I wouldn't do that again.  Google, food journaling, and a ton of brown rice, quinoa, fruit and vegetables in lieu of previous favorites has made a difference.  It's too early to state anything definitive, but if you're the type who gets triggered by other allergens, it's worth a try.  I didn't know there was a link at all, I tried the diet because my other allergies are so obnoxious.  A relative said hers were better after she figured out she was allergic to vinegar, so that's how I stumbled into the histamine diet.  I have a lot more energy too.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 10:15am

Histamine headache is one name for cluster headache (or have I misundestood things?)...

As I am sensive for acetaldehyde, I get into problems from it (  just google histamine and acetaldehyde). Unfortunately this cancer causing chemical is still used as food additive widely...

But ofcause other people are sensive for other things...so acetium (acetaldehyde bloccer) will not work for everyone..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!