Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie in need of help (Read 4381 times)
CH-HELL
Ex Member

Newbie in need of help
Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:47am

Hi everyone my name is Phil im 36 and have had ch for 15 years the last three or more have been chronic 0 pf days,  good days the beast only hit 3 or 4 times at a 4 or 5 on the kip scale.  I have tried every thing, O2 seems to help but my flow meter only goes up too 8 lpm,  when I fisrt found imitex I thought it was the greatest thing ever but now it takes most of the pain in my head away and seem to redistribute it in the rest of my body(joints, tendons, muscles, every where).  Does this happen to anyone else????
     I hav'nt worked since Nov. 2007 I had to take a leave of absence bofore I got fired,  I hoped the cyclce would go away but it seems to just get worse.  Its getting hard to cope with this, Im feel like a loser and no one understands.  Has this happened to anyone else???????? Cry

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Re: Newbie in need of help
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:24am

well my friend i will offer what i can.
first outside of meds is have you tried an energy drink like monster or red bull or rock star. chug one down just as you know a hit is coming. next ice packs help with me some like heat. it is a individual thing. next a must is get a flow valve that goes to at least 15 lpm 25 lpm is better  with a non-rebreather mask, these two things are crucial to effective abortive results. 

triptans are kindof funny some have reduced effectiveness to imitrex as the beast changes (it always does). if it doesn't work  try another triptan like zomig dissengrating tablet or nasal spray. there are other triptans.also other abortive treatments go on on. like dhe injectionsbotox,lidocaine. etc etc.
yes we all can relate to judgement,isolation and repeated futile attempts to relieve  relentless attacks.
you are not alone, we understand.
others will weigh in so learn as much as you can and find a good doctor that actually helps you.

take care friend and keep us filled in. Smiley

IP Logged

Ernie Moss aka Wishbone
CH.com Junior

Birmingham, AL
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:31am

Phil I am sorry you are having such a tough time, but you have come to right place.  You need to read read and read some more.  There are some great threads going with lots of good suggestions with things that have helped people.  One thing we all have learned is that what works for one person may not work for another.  One thing I can say for almost certainty as a true believer in O2 as the first line of abortives is that your regulator is probably not very effective.  I may work okay for kips of 4-5, but anything higher it is just not going to work, or if it does will take a very long time.  I personally believe in a 25lpm, but others think 15lpm works fine.  My suggestion would be to get a 25lpm (you can find on the internet, probably EBay) and you can turn down to 15lpm if that works fine.  You are using O2 but are you using a non-rebreather mask?  This is important as well.  What about your PH level?  Have you checked this?  Your diet could have something working against your as well.  I am by no means an expert on anything, but as a sufferer myself, I just read and read and read.  Yes I experiment, talk to other clusterheads to learn what has worked for them.  Tritans can have side affects as I am sure your neuro has told you and can be worse on some people than others, this is why many of us that use them do so as a last resort rather than the first line.  You didn't mention if you were on any other meds or if you had any other medical conditions or had a propensity for heart conditions, diabestes so I am not suggesting that you try these, because if you have any of the foregoing they could be dangerous, but many CH sufferers have found relief from drinking Red Bull or other energy drinks with high taurine and caffine at the onset of a hit.  There is another thread about arm motions above the head to move the blood away from the head.  Again a world of information, you just have to read and see if any of it can fit for you.  Phil I hope some of this is helpful to you, glad you found us and wishing you PFD soon.  I would say if you don't do anything else get a higher O2 regulator and a non-rebreather mask if you don't have one.  You can check on both if you look to the left on oxygen info.  Take care and stay strong.  Wishbone.

It don't cost a nickel to be nice and by being so you might just make someone's day.&&Ernie Moss

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:29pm

Thanks for the replies.  CH are not my only health problems so here you go CH, Hyperlipidemia, Chronic rhinitis, Cervical Radiculopathy, high bloob pressure, abnormal thyroid functions,  and a mood disorder LOL.  I am sure that I missed some thing but you get the idea.  The list of meds I am on Verapamil 360mg, zolmitriptan 2.5mg tab, Imitrex auto injector, Tizanidine,Tramadol, Temazepam, Promethazine, Omeprazole, Nortriptyline, loratadine, citalopram, lisinopril and Alprazolam, I think that is it.  I have seen soo many doctors, neuros and the head pain clinic in Ann Arbor, MI.  So I dont know if anyone can help but it is nice too know I'm not alone.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Phil,

Sorry to hear that you are having such tough time.   I am chronic as well, and the only thing that keeps the hits down is Verapamil.  I take 720 extended release and it works well.  The only down side is the side effects.  I use O2(get a proper regulator) and imitrex as aborts.  Five or six months ago, I went through a spell where the imitrex would cause pain in my muscles and joints.  It only lasted for about ten minutes after the shot.  At the time, I was playing soccer about three days a week and I think that it had something to do with all the exercise.  When I cut back on my soccer, the pain from the shots disappeared.   Hang in there and don't let the beast get the best of you.  Easier said than done sometimes, but you've found a great place with lots of support and understanding.  

Best of luck.  
Malcom

Just wanted to add that 360 verapamil does not do anything to control the beast for me.   Have you tried upping the dose?
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:42pm by MPMIII »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Dangerous to use both Zomatrip. & Imitrex at the same time!

Are you satisfied with the doc who is treating your Cluster? If not, get back and we can offer some info on finding a  good doc.

Suggest you print out this whole article:

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the best overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article if you are serious about keeping a
good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
========
Explore the Michigan site and print out the two meds lists. Use the treatments lists to discuss options with your doc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Karl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:10pm

please check with your doc, not good like bob said to use zomig and imitrex at the same time Shocked

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:24pm

Ernie and Bob are spot on...  You need an oxygen regulator with a much higher flow rate and mixing triptans is never a good idea.  Having said that, I suspect the list of cluster headache medications you posted is either inclusive for all the meds you've used over time, and were not all taken at the same time, or you're seeing more than one doctor as the folks at MHNI are some of the top neurologists specializing in the cluster headache disorder and wouldn't mix triptans without very specific instructions...  Say high to Dr. Rozen for me if you get back up to MHNI...

I've had cluster headaches for 13 years, chronic for the last two, I don't use anything but oxygen, and I stopped taking triptans over 2 years ago as I too had similar side effects.

Check you email... I've sent you some additional information

Take care and hang in there...  It will get better.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:22am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus

Go Cubbies  / even though
they suck

x1|naperville|USA|usa|360|126|IL,Illinois
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 6:48pm

I guess I should consider myself lucky, cause I read about so many of us that cant keep there jobs. I was always able to keep my jobs. I think if you level with your boss and tell him that you need to punch out for an hour here and there you find that most of them are pretty reasonable. Now in your case getting hit 4 and 5 times a day, every day, now that is a different story. If your going to punch out 4 or 5 hours a day why go in. I am also lucky in the fact that Imitrex works for me every time and totally. But remember 1 thing Phil your not a loser and your not alone (ok maybe 2 things). Good luck bud.

Dave

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 10:16am

Thanks again for the replies and the info, the list of meds is what I am currently taking and I forgot to add Valproic Acid.  I do know the issuse with taking different triptans.  It is'nt very often that I use the zomig but when Im stuck with the beast at a 10+kip and trex did'nt work I will take any thing and a heart attack would have to feel better than ch pain.  If some one told me crack would help I would start smokin.  Its been 2-3 years with the beast every day and I am beat, spent, tired with no end in site.
   I went out yesterday and bought some Kudzu, Skullcap and Ordered some RC seeds.  I hav'nt taken them yet kinda sacred it will interact with the pharmacy that I take, if anyone know the contriditions of these let me know.  I go back to Ann Arbor Nov 4 and I will ask them then but I really dont want to wait that long.  So thanks for the all your help,  and I hope everyone pfdn.  Phil

IP Logged

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus

Go Cubbies  / even though
they suck

x1|naperville|USA|usa|360|126|IL,Illinois
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:18pm

Phil have you tried energy drinks yet. Believe it or not they do work. Monster or Red Bull. Drink them down as fast as you can. It's a good line of defense if you have no o2 or if your trying to ease up on the triptans.

Good Luck

Dave

IP Logged

swimchica623
CH.com Old Timer

Get hit.  Hit back harder.
 That's life.

Ocean Pines, MD, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Welcome and I hope you can find some relief. 

If you haven't figured out already, get the o2 up to at least 15lpm...when it is more effective you may even find longer time between hits.

I'd also try looking for a dr that really works well with you and play around with preventatives until you find the right cocktail that controls your CH the best possible.

Good luck!

Lisa  Smiley

swimchica623 swimchica623  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 11:02pm

Hi CH-HELL

Sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns !   As far as your question about contraindications with meds and rc seeds, it is my understanding from previous readings that there are some.  But I am not the expert in that area- many others are

I pm'ed someone that may be able to help- hopefully they'll get with you on this or others that bust will be along

Kelly

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 11:18pm

Thanks swimchica623,  I go to the pain clinic on the 18th and if they dont give me a regulator then I will find one on ebay or something.

My doctors are some of the best but I've been chronic CH sufferer for awhile now, there's no boo hoo hear, and soon I will kick this beasts ass.  When I see the Dr. on the 18th I'm going try to get him to take me off most of my meds, because I'm on so many different drugs I can even tell what works any more(nothing works).  I was'nt chronic at first but the past few years every day, and every time I go to a Dr. they try to give me more drugs.  I think I just need too start over.  Verap. helped for a few years.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:29am

Quote:
CH, Hyperlipidemia, Chronic rhinitis, Cervical Radiculopathy, high bloob pressure, abnormal thyroid functions,  and a mood disorder

That fortunately sounds far more ominous than it is, when you find out what those are in plain English. Many of those seem headache related. You said that you have been seeing many doctors over the years - one doctor has diagnosed you with something, someone else something else - while the main thing you have seen them for is your CH?

Quote:
Verapamil 360mg, zolmitriptan 2.5mg tab, Imitrex auto injector, Tizanidine,Tramadol, Temazepam, Promethazine, Omeprazole, Nortriptyline, loratadine, citalopram, lisinopril and Alprazolam

That's quite a list of meds. Tramadol, for example, is an opiate and shouldn't be used long-term at all. Temazepam and Alprazolam are benzodiazepines and the same goes with them, you should use them only very rarely. All these three medicines cause a tolerance to build up and will become useless when used too often, while still continuing to cause side effects. Could you specify a bit more how often you take these medicines, medicine by medicine, and what's the dose?

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Your right these problems sound worse the way I stated them, I wasnt trying to do that sorry.  I am new to this site but have done alot of research on CH and most of the issues I have are fairly common among CH sufferers.  Chornic rhinitis or swelling of the sinuses 90-100% of us with CH have this,  Cervical radiculopathy or a slipped disc in the neck witch for me comes from scolosis an s shaped spine, a mood disorder witch I think is funny because anyone with CH's  that has had a k7 or above in pubilic has a mood disorder Shocked.  Sorry I will try to use plain english from now on.  If I forgot any thing just ask I'll be happy to explain.
      The meds I take are all from one doctor,and as far as how often I take them, here we go I'll try my best on this one Verapamil 360mg once a day in the morning, lisinapril 20mg in a.m. for blood pressure, loratidine 10mg a.m. for allergies, Citalopram 40mg in a.m. antidepressant, Omeprazole ?mg in a.m. for acid reflux, Nortriptyline 100mg in p.m. as a preventive, Tizanidine 4mg in p.m. for muscle spasms, Temazepam 30mg in p.m. for sleep, Promethazine 25mg for nausea/vomitting I dont take this very often my CH's rarley make me vomit, Valproic Acid 250mg twice a day as a preventive, Tramadol 50mg is a non narcotic pain releiver I dont belive this is an opiate even though the chemical make is similar I take this for the pain in my joints and back but it does'nt help much so I dont take it very often and Alprazolam .5 mg as needed for nerves and anxiety this I take very rarely even though I always have one in my pocket,  some times it works if I start a CH in public I take one before I start to panic.  Let me know if I missed any.  Thanks every one for the questions and comments.
  Best pf wishes to all,   Phil

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:19pm

Phil, it sucks having to deal with the beast every day.  I know!  I have been chronic for the past 9 years!

You HAVE to get on a good regime, in order to deal with the beast!  Many of us have chosen to go without preventative meds, for various reasons.  Many reasons are the side effects involved.  Also, being an old fart like me, I just don't want to keep putting all that kerap into my system, year after year, when it was not really doing much good.

Now I just use abortives to deal with the beast.  My main line is OXYGEN!  Let us know how you were using it, to see if you were doing it right or not.  Even if it did not do much or anything in the past, try it again.  In my almost 30 years of living with this shit, I have gone through periods where the oxygen was not working for me.

As a last resort, I use imitrex to abort, when the oxygen fails.  I am not suppose to take imitrex due to my heart attacks, but when I need relief, I NEED relief!

One of the best things that I have learned from this site, is to NEVER let the beast win!  By that I mean, don't let it destroy your life!  Live your life as normal as you can.  NEVER dwell on the hits!  Dwell on the pain free periods between the hits!  Live life to its fullest, while you are not in pain, and when a hit comes on, step aside, and deal with it, and then get on with your life!  Once you get the abortive that works for you (hopefully it is oxygen), NEVER leave home without it!

Do NOT cancel the vacation plans you have!  GO on vacation!  GO to the carnival with your kids/grandchildren!  GO to the beach!  Just have your abortive available so that you can step aside, and kick the beast in the ass, and then get back to living!

The above words are easy to say/type, but much harder to live up to.  Once you have, though, you will find life much happier and easier to life!

Remember, YOU are stronger, and more pig headed than the beast EVER thought of being!  Kick his sleezy ass to the curb!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:32pm

Hi there, Chuck.  Thanks for the great words for my dear hubby.  I really want to give you a great big hug.  Those are great words to live by.  I will try to help him live the Chuck way.

Thanks again Smiley

Jen
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:33pm by flipperlips »  

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 9:07pm

Awesome advice Chuck, that is exactly what I try to do.  The only thing that bothers me is my job,  they wont budge.  I have worked for the goverment USPS/US Army for 14years and have had CH's for 15 years I never had any major problems until a few years ago when I started being chronic.  I was starting to sleep through my alarm because the beast kept me up all night.  Most of my supervisors understood, but a 1 and 1/2 ago we got a new supervisor and she would'nt let any thing slide( no extra breaks and be on time).  I got several doctors notes for her,  but she did'nt care she told me "she gets migranes and I need to suck it up".   She was trying to get me fired,  so now I'm on medcal leave no pay.  This to shall pass, I just hope it passes soon before I run out of money.
  Sorry for the long post all I wanted to say was thanks Chuck, and I didnt know until a few days ago when I found this site that I need a different regulator for my o2.  I have a non-rebreather mask but my reg. only goes up to 8 lpm.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:29am

Hi Phil
Good words from chuck.

A brief review of the meds you list suggest that some of them do the same thing as the next one.
One thing about clusters for many of us is that the more meds the worse the hits. If I were you I would seriously question the use of so many with your doc or find a doc just a little more in tune with CH.
Maybe dump all the meds and work with even just one like Verapamil untill the correct dose is found.

I would bet the side effects you mention with imitrex are possibly aggravated by all the other meds you consume. Its a wonder you can get off the couch at times.

Not being a doctor nor knowing your underlying health issues, my advice isnt really worth the page its printed on, I would suggest a full and total detox and you just might find the CH frequency and severity will improve in just a few days, who knows the cycle chronic or not might just end. The biggest improvement could come in the way one views CH. and daily living.

On RC Seeds - If thats the path you choose its best to completely detox from all other medications regardless. Especially the triptans. The possibility of serotonin syndrome and other issue may arise when mixing these seemingly harmless medications. The likliehood of zero results is even bigger.

The CB treatments have improved a lot of lives and are certainly worthy of consideration. Its more than just crunching a few seeds or... , the preparation of your body (detox) should be done as well for optimal results and a life with no pain.

MJ

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:18am

Thanks MJ in two days I go to a new pain clinic and I am going to pressure them to get me off my meds.  I hope I get a doctor with enough balls to help me with this,  most of them just give me more drugs and send me on my way, they dont want to change some thing another doctor started.  I think if I can get the right reg. for my o2 I will be able to detox, but I would like a doctors help so I wil know witch meds I can just stop and the ones I will need to tapper off.  Thanks everyone and I'll keep you all updated on what happens with the doctor.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #21 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:10pm

I totally agree with Chuck and MJ.

I would also add that you should research the meds before going to the doctor. Don't just "blindly" do what they say and add meds to the mix. Really -demand- them for help in dropping some or all of the meds off. Like Guiseppi here said, "It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain."

Here's a Wikipedia entry for Tramadol:

"Physical dependence and withdrawal

Tramadol is associated with the development of a physical dependence and a withdrawal syndrome.[19] Tramadol causes typical opiate withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures. The atypical withdrawal effects are probably related to tramadols effect on serotonin and norepinephrin reuptake. Symptoms may include anxiety, anguish, pins and needles, sweating, and palpitations. It is recommended that patients physically dependent on pain killers take their medication regularly to prevent onset of withdrawal symptoms and when the time comes to discontinue their tramadol, to do so gradually over a period of time which will vary according to the individual patient and dose and length of time on the drug."

And about Temazepam, same source:

"Tolerance

Chronic or excessive use of temazepam may cause drug tolerance, which can develop rapidly,[18] so this drug is therefore not recommended for long-term use.[13][19] In 1979 the Institute of Medicine (USA) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse stated that most hypnotics lose their sleep-inducing properties after about 3 to 14 days.[20] In use longer than 1–2 weeks, tolerance will frequently develop towards the ability of temazepam to maintain sleep, so that the drug loses effectiveness.[21] Some studies have observed tolerance to temazepam after as little as one week's use.[22] Another study examined the short-term effects of the accumulation of temazepam over 7 days in elderly inpatients, and found that little tolerance developed during the accumulation of the drug.[23] Other studies examined the use of temazepam over six days and saw no evidence of tolerance.[24][25] A study in 11 young male subjects showed that significant tolerance occurs to temazepam's thermoregulatory effects and sleep inducing properties after 1 week of use of 30 mg temazepam. Body temperature is well correlated with the sleep inducing or insomnia promoting properties of drugs.[26] In one study the drug sensitivity of people who had used temazepam for 1–20 years was no different from that of controls.[27] In an additional study in which at least one of the authors is employed by multiple drug companies examined the efficacy of temazepam treatment on chronic insomnia over three months and saw no drug tolerance, with the authors even suggesting that the drug might become more effective over time.[28][29][30] The Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine published a paper which had carried out a systematic review of the medical literature concerning insomnia medications and raised concerns about benzodiazepine receptor agonist drugs, the benzodiazepines and the Z-drugs that are used as hypnotics in humans. The review found that almost all trials of sleep disorders and drugs are sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry. It was found that the odds ratio for finding results favorable to industry in industry-sponsored trials was 3.6 times higher than non-industry-sponsored studies and that 24% of authors did not disclose being funded by the drug companies in their published paper when they were funded by the drug companies. The paper found that there is little research into hypnotics that is independent from the drug manufacturers.[31] Establishing continued efficacy beyond a few weeks can be complicated by the difficulty in distinguishing between the return of the original insomnia complaint and withdrawal or rebound related insomnia. Sleep EEG studies on hypnotic benzodiazepines show that tolerance tends to occur completely after one to four weeks with sleep EEG returning to pretreatment levels. The paper concluded that due to concerns about long term use both toxicity and tolerance and dependence as well as controversy over long term efficacy that wise prescribers should restrict benzodiazepines to a few weeks and avoid continuing prescriptions for months or years.[32]

Physical dependence

Temazepam like other benzodiazepine drugs can cause physical dependence and addiction. Withdrawal from temazepam or other benzodiazepines after regular use often leads to a benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, which resembles symptoms during alcohol and barbiturate withdrawal. The higher the dose and the longer the drug is taken for, the greater the risk of experiencing unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms can also occur from standard dosages and after short term use. Abrupt withdrawal from therapeutic doses of temazepam after long term use may result in a severe benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. Gradual and careful reduction of the dosage, preferably with a long-acting benzodiazepine with long half life active metabolites such as chlordiazepoxide or diazepam is recommended, to prevent severe withdrawal syndromes from developing. Other hypnotic benzodiazepines are not recommended. [33] There are rare reports in the medical literature of psychotic states developing after abrupt withdrawal from benzodiazepines, even from therapeutic doses.[34] Antipsychotics increase the severity of benzodiazepine withdrawal effects with an increase in the intensity and severity of convulsions.[35] Patients who were treated in the hospital with temazepam or nitrazepam have continued taking these after leaving the hospital. It was recommended that hypnotics in the hospital be limited to 5 nights use only, to avoid the development of withdrawal symptoms like insomnia.[36]"

I think both are something you should really drop, if at all possible.

Edited to add: Here are links to two excellent medical documents depicting most common CH meds:

and

Read  them before going to the doc and then hand them over to him or her.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:16pm by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Thanks Rosa,  the temazepam I knew was habit forming I belive its like generic valum,  but it was the only sleeping pill my doctor would let me have.  The Tramadol my doctor told me it was like tylenol but stronger, I dont use it regularly because it does'nt seem to help with any of my aches and pains.  I take more otc naproxen than tram, but I did'nt know it would have withdraw symptoms.  Tramadol is what my doctor gave me when I told him I wanted to stop taking narcatic pain meds because they did'nt help and there addictive.  So thanks for the info this will help when I go to the dr. the 18th

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 4:18pm

Welcome to the madhouse and these people know their business. With this horror you try most anything. Here is mine and good luck

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. Think of feeling your pulse in your hand. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my neck into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.

Charlie      

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!