Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Occipital Nerve Stimulators (ONS) (Read 52598 times)
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Re: Occipital brain stimulators (OBS)
Reply #75 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:30am

Stitches are out.... doing much better.... still some irritation from the
surgery....  head.... a higher frequency of CH episodes, so success rate
is at about 75% at the moment, have no explanation, but looking for solutions....
all that did not stop me from skiing yesterday, some thing that have caused some
pain at the abdominal “pocket”, oh-well seems that one can not have it all......

Michael

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Heather
CH.com Newbie

x0|Farmington|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #76 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 11:06am

I hope your doing well Michael.  What is CB?

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #77 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 3:45am

The term "CB" stands for clusterbuster (for me), and I belive you can find very good info about it on Bobw’s (Pinkfloyd) website:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I my self do not use, nor do I promote the use of this method due to the legal status, but I do think it is a very effective method, and highly potential alternative, just on the wrong end of the legal “band”.

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #78 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 4:14am

At the moment I experience higher pain and higher CH episodes, per day 3 episodes of about 7Kp, we do not know why, it sets the results rate at 50% at the moment.
The most likely reason will be, due to my way to early, returning to “normal way of life” that is extensive skiing which most likely has shifted the positioning of the “sensors” in the head, I have started to do sports – skiing just under a week past the last surgical procedure, oh well, but it is my way of cooping with recovery.... even if it is in a way contra productive.... as it seems, it is a speculation and has to be yet confirmed......

I will have some tests and Imaging done soon to try and see what is going wrong! or try an identify the cause of the reduction in efficiency of the ONS.
We do believe that the “set back” can be fixed, and achieve higher yield, back to 80% and higher, just needs better self control, and less of “arrogance” on my behalf.......  be more self controlled....... and less reckless.....
I do go on with my normal life schedule, and sports, at the moment skiing, and avoid any medication.... only the use of O2 to abort the CH episodes and with the exception of a Zomig Nasal about once a week, as well as  the on going treatment for Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency, which has no connection (we believe) to the CH episodes.......

Michael

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #79 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 6:28pm

Wishing you a ton more PF times.

good luck

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #80 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:58pm

I haven’t posted for some time now about my journey with the ONS (occipital nerve block), the improvement rate is at about 80-83% (1 episode a day with ONS  /  average of 6 episodes before with minimal or without preventive medication) I have days without any episodes at all (shadows or attacks) and (rarely) 2 episodes a day.

I still experience some skin sensitivity around the scar sites be it at skull base or at the lower abdomen at the “generator / Battery” position, as well as some irritation (nerving) due to “Stimulation varies with head position” – a situation that demands adjustment of the pulse, depending on the current activity, when using the ONS as preventive, about 22 hours a day.

I have to mention that it takes some time to get accustomed to all the variations, feel in the head, and the need for disciplined reaction to the situations, increase intensity at onset of an episode, and carry at all times the controller for the ONS, I still forget at times to carry it with me.....

I am still very carful with suggesting, or recommending to choose this venue, I believe it has a big potential, but it is still not fully ripe, from reports that I have obtained and have gotten from fellow CH’ers it needs still more research and development, to be used as a comprehensive method for CCH (Chronicle CH), although I would urge CCH sufferers that most or all the common methods have failed or have not gotten satisfactory relive to look deeper into this venue, it has a comprehensive potential.

The ONS is a good method for me in combination with O2, and very rarely I have to resort to Zomig Nasal 50mg
mostly when on the road without O2, and in stress situations.

Michael

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:59pm by wildhaus »  

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #81 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:28am

I am still having a solid result with the ONS, the few CH episodes are mostly night episodes, and very rare CH episodes during day time, mostly due to poor reaction and low discipline.
The night CH episodes, about every 4-5 days, at a level of 6-7Kp, the simplified explanation, the night set up (program) is a compromise between comfort (tolerability)  and efficiency, a very difficult fine line which most of the time fulfils its purpose, preventive for night time CH episodes.
Day time CH episodes, about every 8-10 days, are the ones I have the most difficult “time” with, due to my poor judgment and low discipline, the CH episode flares to and beyond control, adding to it is the situation at work, stress at times or just the simple the wish of “pleas don’t see me in my agony”, and the (silly) hope that the on setting CH episode is just a shadow, and it will pass soon, although I am aware that it is a full scale CH episode, as I say poor judgment, and still very normal.... for me..... the day time CH episode then gets out of control and the day is just an on going CH episodes, up to about 4 a day (and more) which I need to at time “kill” with Zomig Nasal, or in most cases with O2 (soon to be a demand valve) one thing that works for me almost every time!
Mid month (Feb. 25, 2009) I will most likely undergo another surgical procedure, to “fix” and alien the sensors (line) better over the Occipital Nerve, this in order to try and achieve a better preventive effect from the ONS, Try to provide a higher yield with low stimulation, and with the better enlightenment avoid (?) or reduce (?) the occurrence of the night time CH episodes, all this depends upon successful (extensive) imaging of the ONS and the brain (explicit the Occipital nerve) with the hope to get a good imaging of the ONS and the nerve in deferent positions and situations, in order to try and “map” the highest efficient position of the ONS to the nerve (Occipital Nerve)in the deferent positions, I am positive (but not totally convinced) that this imaging will help understand better the efficient functioning of the ONS, and yet hope for good results.
I will try and have some of the images posted, with the proper explanation soon after the hospitalization......

Micahel

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #82 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:30pm

And again a trip to the neurosurgical department at KSSG (the regional medical centre St. Gallen), and probably once more adjusting the leads and the ONS “contacts” over the Occipital nerve, with the idea of achieving a grater effect, and there for a higher yield, mostly at night, as the ONS is set on night programming, preventive program.
As the night program is a fine balance between comfort or better said tolerance to the signal, to provide a peaceful sleep pattern, and an effective preventive pattern, the proper positioning of the leads and the ONS “contacts” “over” the nerve (Occipital Nerve) with the hope that a better alighenment will provide me with a better control over the night CH episode (about 4 times a week) at 23:00 (11PM) and with this (possibly) improvement the ONS will provide me with about 85-87% improvement, and I will probably not be satisfied.... I believe that with proper placement, correct use, and mostly on my end, a higher sense of discipline adjusting the ONS at the “right time” I can get to over 87% .

I am positive that this alternative (Occipital Nerve Stimulation) is a very comprehensive alternative! but not for “every one”, only for the extreme cases, the ONS needs still to be researched and developed to be used as an alternative for “every one”, it is a radical and invasive procedure, (it is reversible), it bears some risks, as in any invasive procedure, but I would do it again.... if asked, and I recommend to all the extreme cases with CCH to look into this alternative, to explore it, and to seek guide’s by a neurosurgeon, it just might be a good thing for some, an alternative to provide some with a comprehensive treatment.

Michael

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:33pm by wildhaus »  

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Re: Occipital Nerve Stimulators (ONS)
Reply #83 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:30am

The trip to the neurosurgical department at KSSG ended last evening without crying the surgical procedure today!  (in someway relived)
The extensive imaging reviled some “diving” of the probes and “sensors” - “contacts” (about 0.5 cm ≈ 0.2 inch), that could have a some effect on the effectiveness of the ONS, but the risks of another surgical procedure, the normal risks and the added situation due to the adrenal gland insufficiency in my case outweigh the potential
gain we had hoped to achieve from the correction, and therefore the surgical procedure was put off for a later date, and I would prefer to think that its off the books...... but time and the neurosurgeon will have the say, as well as the endocrinologist and neurologist.

I add 2 images taken yesterday (X-Rays):

The tenor was, I should be happy with the excellent results achieved, and except that things can not be perfect......  I am happy with the results.... but I am convinced it can yield (squeeze) some more....... out of the ONS......

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #84 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 2:48am

This post is to give you (some) insight of the standard settings of the ONS during day time - preventive mode and Acute setup.

the link below, ONS hand held unit (remote control) in normal day time premier (base) display.

Preventive mode, a mode that is compromise set up between the highest preventive effect, and a comfortable sensation and concentrating ability.

the link below, ONS hand held unit (remote control) in preventive day time settings 3 (level, width, rate) displays of the deferent set ups possibilities

Setup during acute mode at an on set of a CH episode, at a level (kip) 4 the CH episode will go to level (kip) 7-8 as the pain level increases in intensity exponentially with in 2 min. from level (kip) 4.

the link below, ONS hand held unit (remote control) in acute, abortive settings 3 (level, width, rate) displays of the deferent setups possibilities

I have caught this episode to late due to my poor judgment and low discipline – hoping the episode will “just” turn to be a strong shadow, day time episodes, about once a week (“only”) at the moment.....
aborting the CH episode in combination with O2 with- in about 3-4 min. with out O2 it would need the same time, just with longer “relaxing” time, I am more “relaxed” when using O2, don’t know why......

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #85 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 7:34am

The World Institute of Pain (WIP) will hold its 5th World Congress in New York, March 13-16, 2009. This Pain congress offers physicians an multi-disciplinary look at pain syndromes and their management.

During this event also CH will be discussed, and the on going developments and research Applications of Neurostimulation, my case will part of the presentation.

SATURDAY, MARCH 14, 2009 if I have the info correctly…..

Link to the timetable:

Michael

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #86 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 11:04pm

Hi Michael,
I hope you are doing well.

I have been following your journey for some time, including your own site. Very interesting stuff...you are a brave one, and I applaud you on fighting for your own relief.

I have a close friend that has a benign brain tumour, and has chronic head pain...done everything from all the regular CH meds to Botox to morphine addiction and back...the docs had said there is nothing for her, but recently one suggested ONS and it has been written up recently in a Canadian Chronic pain sufferers publication... I have made her aware of your site and successes and disappointments and have printed of some of your stuff for her... it is a big decision for her, she is alone and one daughter at a distance... but with no other alternative she finds herself considering doing ONS ...the Docs are saying only a slight chance of any success and everything hinges on her tumour growth.  Thoughts?

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

mle134
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #87 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 8:09pm

Michael:

I want to thank you for making this information available.  I have been accepted into an occipital stimulator study for a different headache condition and reading these posts has helped me put the procedure in perspective.  I have a month to go before I even find out if I am eligible for a stimulator implant, but it's a little less scary after reading these posts.  

I hope you have continued success with your implant. Smiley

Emily

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #88 - May 2nd, 2009 at 1:11pm

2 weeks ago I have been for a visit to the neurosurgical department at the medical center in St.-Gallen Switzerland (KSSG), to try and adjust the stimulator, or better said to program the stimulator with the experience accumulated
since the initial programming (November 2008).

I have had (prior to my last visit at the hospital) a notable decrees in the effectiveness of the stimulation, the night CH episodes are daily, up to 3 CH episodes a night and about 1 day time every 3 days, and 1 CH episode every 3 days, I used to be at a rate of 1 CH episode every 3-4 days until about 4-5 weeks ago.
It was an improvement to my situation of about 85% from 5-8 CH episodes a day (av. 0f 6 a day) now I am at 50% !!! not that I complain, it is just puzzling, and more (for me) annoying!

The new programming didn’t provide me with the hoped improvement!

For the moment I (and my Dr.’s) do not know what the reason for this notable change is, and it is rather semantic.... I have to live with it and do what I always do,
work, and enjoy life, and “hug” my O2 tank when I need it......

Will be at the hospital next week, and then we will start to make sense of the new
situation, and find a way to improve the effeteness of the stimulator.....
as well as do the on-going endocrinological tests and treatments, only 4 more to go.....

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #89 - May 6th, 2009 at 10:16am

Visit to the medical centre in St.-Gallen (Switzerland) is past me.....
will have some of the results tonight, but some will take a few days to analyse.....

As for the procedure, didn’t go all to well, I had a massive CH episode during the testing,
and some what panicked (how stupid of me), and took all the probes that I was hooked to of me, something that was very dumb, but it was to late, I had taken it off, so we have only some partial results about pH levels O2 saturation and some other data.
The CH episode was not only violent, I could not get it under control with O2 or the stimulator (stimulator was off since Midnight), the O2 unit that was ready for me was a wrong set-up (only up to 10lt/min) with the wrong mask....... until the right unit had come, I was in way to much pain, anger and agony, to do things the right way, and lost totally the control of the situation, and panicked even more.... the next thing I did was to “hit” on a Zomig, and with that the test or what was left of it was out of the window....... and Marta’s (my wife) voice over the telephone, I called her, had helped me to get my self under control, and relax..... a simple “remedy” that works so often and so good for me......
I hate my self for getting so out of control, but with all the stuff looking at me so pitiful and not totally knowing what to do, and the wrong equipment just didn’t add to the situation......

Oh well some blood tests (about 120 min, Should have been over 5 hours.) are in..... but the CH episode and past episode data are simply not in......    I handled things wrong.....  and we will have to repeat all of it in 4 month......

the extensive pre test values.... (testosterone and cortisone) are (I Hope) in, will know tonight
Wonder what it will be.....

The Bonviva (Osteoporoses Treatment), only one more time to go, and then (we believe) all the adverse reactions  to the Occipital nerve block are corrected, and the adrenal gland is in good shape..... again!

Michael

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #90 - May 6th, 2009 at 2:40pm

Michael,

Sorry you had such a rough time during the tests at St.-Gallen.  I know you're breaking ground with a lot of these tests and wanted to make sure you collected as much data as possible.

Don't be too hard on yourself...  but do start a check list...

There have been times in my life when what I thought were carefully planned evolutions went out of control shortly after they started and turned to crap with astonishing speed resulting in far from expected results...  

I was fortunate to have someone more experienced around to view the the aftermath the first couple times this happened and they asked the simple but pointed question...  "Did you learn anything?" and then follow up with the time tested adage...  "P7" or "P7" also better known as "Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

I'll bet you pre-flight the oxygen therapy equipment before you try the next round of tests...

Hang in there my friend.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #91 - May 9th, 2009 at 7:09am

The circle of the ONB (Occipital nerve Block), see posts:

and

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

Is closed!

The adverse reaction I have developed to the mixture containing a long acting salt of betamethasone (dipropionate) a rapid acting salt of betamethasone mixed with xylocaine (Verumgroup) and Lidocain

(the way I was administered)

and due to it, developing a “shut down” of the adrenal gland, as well as worrisome signs of developing diabetes, advanced sign of Osteoporoses and signs of disfunction of the Kidney.

After evaluating the results of the blood tests done on Wednesday, all the adrenal gland, Kidney and some (minor) Endocrinological problems, all have been “fixed”!!! and as it seems, no lasting damages are on hand!!
I will not need any more medications to support and repair the deficiencies I have developed due to the ONB, I will be for one more year under observation, to guaranty a full and lasting recovery.....

I would like to stress that the GON is a very comprehensive alternative for CCH (Chronic Cluster headaches) it was me that has developed a strong reaction to the medicine, due to my intolerance to one of the components in the Diprophose.

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #92 - May 9th, 2009 at 2:55pm

I have in the past week or so lost another 20% of the effectiveness (I am now at 30% and less) using the stimulator that is about 5 CH episodes and more a day (day time and night time), I have no indication or plausible reason for the decrees in the effectiveness,
the Neurosurgeons as well as the manufacturer will try, with me to find out why......

it is a test unit and from the start of this journey I know that there will be set backs,
and that it could be a rocky road; well it is now that the road is very rocky.......

I do feel I am back to square one...... and I hate it....

Michael

IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Reply #93 - May 9th, 2009 at 3:58pm

Do surgeons mentioned that perhaps body got used to the 'supression' on the occipital nerves and found 'bypass' to let neurons still to front of the face? Not sure about the idea behind this system, but it is vital for us all if it helps, I am sad it loses its work over time, actually I am fucking mad, because I want to see one day solution to this organism's fucking defect.

Sorry for the language but I carefuly follow your topic and I had really hopes up.

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #94 - May 18th, 2009 at 6:22pm

I am working nights (a total of 10 nights), by it self already very stressful for me, and very hard…..
I am not used to it…… and my “Bio clock” is all the way messed up…..

The night CH episodes have shifted to day time, about one and half hours
after falling asleep, and then every 2 hours, in total 3 CH episodes a “night”
or better said day time sleeping! Prolonging the “trying” to sleep at day time
and leaving me some what, not totally fit……

The night time – working time is mainly pain free and the ONS is running high
to prevent any occurrence of CH episodes or even “shadows”……

For the Neuro this bit of info is very important, it is as going into deep sleep
dose have traceable connection and “digitally” reproducible….. I have not worked
over the week end, and got to sleep during night time, CH episodes had occurred
during night time…… and the went to work night again and the situation repeated
it self, just during the day (day time sleeping).

A text book situation…..

Not that it can help me much, just validate once more that I suffer from CH,
something I still refuse to except…….  yes I still live in denial!!

The total Nr. of CH episodes per day is back to 3-4 mainly “night time” and the ONS
is giving me an acceptable performance….. back to just over 50% success rate….

Michael

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #95 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:43pm

Michael, I am so sorry for all the ups and downs, but I thank you greatly for the updates.  I am torn between showing Gary the most recent updates and not showing him them.  He isn't expecting much anyway, I guess, but he has decided to go ahead with the surgery.  He still suffers  a minimum of 5 hits a day, as many as 11, though the average is still 7.  They've gotten longer, and he is still in pain 24 hours a day.  I wonder what will happen with that?

Anyway, didn't mean to co-opt your thread.  I just felt a great deal of appreciation for your sharing your journey with us, and wanted to let you know that.

I hope you are able continue to adjust things with the result of seeing continued improvement.  

Laurie
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2009 at 2:44pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #96 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 3:13am

I had my ups and downs, I had times when I was thinking this
ONS was just a waste of time….. but when I look at the statistics
I do have in the over all a significant improvement…….
in numbers, I used to have up to 8 episodes a day…. with an average of
6 episodes a day, and now I am on an average of 2.5 a day……
and that is (for me) a blessing.

Most important is; I am practically meds free, preventive meds.
And try to avoid the use of abortive meds. namely for me Zomig Nasal.

I do use during an episode O2 at about 25 Lt. / min. Only if I am on the road
or due to low discipline on my behalf I am forced to use Zomig…..

I can with confidents say it did what I was looking for…… but it needs patience,
endurance and discipline until the set-up of the Stimulator is on the right setting….
and to accept (in advance) that it is not a magic built or a cure….. it is simply
a “technical device” a tool to provide us with relief…. and a higher quality of
life.

I suggest before submitting your self to any surgical procedure, as with the ONS
to try and see if one gets any relief by using Occipital nerve block (Suboccipital injection) it can be a good indicator that a surgical intervention might bring relief
above marginal level…..

I will ask Boston Scientific, and a Neuro surgeon to provide me with the latest information and studies, if available, and will try and post the information......

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #97 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 7:46am

I am adding 3 doc’s to view.....
the first is the abstract of the case study of the ONS that is in my head......

the additional 2 are a study about ONS in spain.......

Michael

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Re: Occipital Nerve Stimulators (ONS) Update Feb. 2012
Reply #98 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 12:56pm

Hello All,

Well… after four (4) years of use following the two surgical procedures needed to complete the implant, and a follow-up surgery to re-align the stimulator electrodes that migrated away, I'm about to have my fourth and final ONS surgery… 

This time the surgery will be to remove the entire ONS apparatus completely.  Once again, the stress relief loop has detached from the underlying muscle and one of the electrodes is trying to migrate away. 

I've gone through a lot in an attempt to make the ONS implant an effective tool to manage my chronic cluster headaches.  I endured months of recovery from the original implant surgery procedures and frequent trips to the hospital to upload and preset adjustments to the stimulation patterns.

My doctors and I arrived at the decision to remove the ONS system based on two main reasons.  The first is my lifestyle.  I refuse to let cluster headache rule my life.  If I'm pain free for a few hours, I want to spend those few hours the way I have all my life…  doing the things I like best…  Any thing less than that and I'm cheating myself… 

I'm 51 and physically active. I live in the Swiss Alps and I love to ski.   My sons and I can strap on our skis in the backyard and we can ski down to the nearest ski lift in a matter of minutes.  If it's not too windy or snowing too hard, I go night skiing after work.

It's all this physical activity that wreaks havoc on the implanted ONS system's stress relief attachments, wires and electrodes.  With the prospect of another surgery to re-suture the detached stress relief loops in the wire to underlying muscle and become a house Hobbit with a bad attitude waiting for the wounds to heal for the next month…  The decision was easy…  Out with the ONS!

The second reason for removing the ONS is even more compelling…  I no longer need the ONS to control my cluster headache.  I have a better and far more effective method of controlling them.  I'm now using the ant-inflammatory regimen that Pete developed and it's working much better than the ONS.

Unbeknownst to me, my wife Marta, had been keeping up with Pete's posts on the effectiveness of this regimen and finally sent him an email asking for the exact recipe of supplements…  Pete responded within minutes and she placed the order for the supplements over the Internet with a source in the States.  Don't get me wrong…  Swiss medicine ranks among the best in the world, we just don't have the same selections of over-the-counter supplements…

It's best to agree with your wife every now and then...  Even more so if she comes from Texas...  She has lived with my cluster headaches too…  so I started the regimen...

It took me a month on this regimen with an increase in the vitamin D3 dose from 10,000 IU/day to 15,000 IU/day, and two lab tests for 25(OH)D, before it finally started working.  I'm not totally pain free, but the frequency and intensity of my cluster headaches have dropped considerably…  My cluster headaches are now very manageable and the infrequent hits that come while sleeping are easily dispatched with demand valve method of oxygen therapy in short order.  On top of that…  I feel better, sleep better and I have more energy.

For the cluster headache sufferers considering the ONS implant surgery, here is the benefit of my experience with it.   ONS isn't for everyone who thinks they've reached the end of their rope.  You must exhaust all other treatments and medications first…  and I mean ALL…

If that means trying oxygen therapy with hyperventilation… try it, but learn how to use it properly and make sure you have enough oxygen on hand in the larger home size cylinders, a good mask like the o2ptimask and a regulator capable of delivering a minimum of 25 liters/minute and preferably higher.  The small E-size oxygen cylinders may be great for work, but they're only good for 3 cluster headache aborts…  If you haven't tried the anti-inflammatory regimen, try it… but give it some time.  These two methods work best for me…  If you haven't tried busting… something I cannot do…  try it too…  Talk with the experts at ClusterBusters.

If you've tried all these methods of controlling your cluster headaches and you've still not achieved acceptable relief from your cluster headaches, then, and only then would I consider the ONS implant surgery. 

I would start with an open mind, as best you can with cluster headaches, by learning everything possible about ONS, its effectiveness, limitations, failure rates, and the time it takes to make ONS work properly.   Don't expect magic relief.  It's going to take a lot of time, constant attention and you need to be prepared to put up with a lot of strange new things to do.  Cost is also a consideration that cannot be overlooked.  Be sure you know what is covered and what isn't if medical insurance is involved.

There is also something else not many neurologists or neurosurgeons will tell you or be able to adequately describe to you…  You're going to have an alien thing inside your belly and the back of your head…  and you'll know it's there…  The actual stimulation is not painful, but it can and will be distracting.  It's something you'll need to adjust to in order to gain any confidence in controlling your cluster headaches. 

In the end, it's still a tough decision even after all the considerations…

To be fair in my assessment of the ONS capability…  It did work…  I kept good logs on my cluster headaches and how well the ONS worked to control them…  The highest effectiveness during the day was 90% and that was acceptable.  ONS didn't work while sleeping.  By the time I was awake enough to reach for the ONS remote controller to signal a stimulation pattern, the pain was usually too high for the ONS to have any meaningful abortive effect so I ended up at the oxygen cylinder with zomig at the ready.

I remain confident that the ONS capability will continue to improve with time.  Unlike today’s cardiac implants that can sense electrical irregularities in the heart and automatically trigger an appropriate pace making function, ONS still lacks the capability to sense the nerve impulses signaling a cluster headache is about to hit and trigger an appropriate stimulation pattern to abort the attack.  Adding this capability will make a big difference in the overall effectiveness of this technology to control cluster headache.

I fully expect to see the application of nanotechnology and ONS like implants the size of a grain of rice in my lifetime.   However, technology like this will be developed for other neurological disorders like migraines not cluster headache…  We're still an orphan disorder, and as such, dedicated funding for cluster headache research will remain limited.

Michael

(Pete, Tks, for your help)

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Occipital Nerve Stimulators (ONS) Update Feb. 2012
Reply #99 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 8:40pm

wildhaus wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 12:56pm:
Hello All,

Well… after four (4) years of use following the two surgical procedures needed to complete the implant, and a follow-up surgery to re-align the stimulator electrodes that migrated away, I'm about to have my fourth and final ONS surgery….............. 

(Pete, Tks, for your help)

WOW...what an absolutely awesome, informative, heartfelt and delightful post....

Once again I am reminded why I am here...with THIS family...it aint available anywhere else.

Michael (Laurie and Gary too)...all I got...prayers, vibes, thoughts and best wishes...THANK YOU! (.....and that Pete guy, with his big heart, seems to know a thing or two too Wink......)

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!