Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sinus surgery and affect on CH (Read 2259 times)

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

St. Maarten/Neth. Antilles
sinus surgery and affect on CH
Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:44am

I've been dealing with a deviated septum for quite awhile now and haven't done anything about due to the fear of aggravating CH.
ENT guy is recomneding the FESS surgery to clear out the sinus and alleviate the sinus pain and infections that are becoming more frequent.
The surgery isn't a big deal but I'm still very concerned about aggravating the CH.
I am episodic and can live with it but doing anything to make the condition worse is out of the question.
Anyone have any experience with sinus surgery and CH?

added:
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS)
It is an outpatient procedure that basicallyremoves obstructions and problem areas in the sinus.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008 at 12:02pm by karma »  

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Re: sinus surgery and affect on CH
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This article summary relates thougha slightly different procedure.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Endonasal Surgery for Contact Point Headaches: A 10-Year Longitudinal Study.

Independent Papers

Laryngoscope. 113(12):2151-2156, December 2003.
Welge-Luessen, Antje MD; Hauser, Rolf MD; Schmid, Nevenka MD; Kappos, Ludwig MD; Probst, Rudolf MD
Abstract:
Objective: Some migraine and cluster headaches may be triggered by stimulation of intranasal contact points via the trigeminovascular system. Endonasal surgery is successful in some patients, but long-term outcomes have not been reported.

Study Design: Prospective

Methods: This investigation included 20 patients with a mean 18-year history of refractory cluster or migraine headaches who were selected for surgery. All had endoscopically visible endonasal contact as well as a positive preoperative cocaine test result. Changes in pain severity and frequency and duration of headache attacks were statistically rated using a MANOVA. Follow-up averaged 112 months.

Results: Almost 10 years after surgery, six patients remained completely free of pain, seven had significant symptom improvement, and seven received no benefit from surgery (65% improvement). Two patients had been free of all symptoms for 7 and 8 years, respectively, before complaints returned.

Conclusion: Our data suggest that some patients with refractory headaches and endonasal contact areas benefit from surgery, thereby supporting the existence of a connection between the two. Even though it is clear that surgery should be considered only if all other treatments have failed, a success rate of 65% over almost 10 years justifies evaluation of this option. Preoperative patient selection remains crucial and warrants further investigation.

(C) The American Laryngological, Rhinological & Otological Society, Inc.

MJ

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 3:38pm

I had this surgery done 2 years ago,  I am chronic CH so I was'nt worried about it affectting me negativly.  With that being said this surgery did'nt seem to make my Ch's worse or better and my nose still is pluged all the time do to my Ch's.  Before I became chronic about three years ago every time I had surgery it would trigger a cycle,  I think its due to the anestesia and pain meds.  Hope this helps.  dont mind my spelling I was'nt a english major.  good luck    Phil

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 4:11pm

I have a deviated septum. Nasal irrigation (neti) has made for a big improvement for me - not 100%, but I can pretty much always breathe through my nostrils now, which makes a huge difference.  Also, fewer sinus infections and colds since I started neti a few years ago.  
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008 at 4:11pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Thanks Guys,
It' probably an unfounded fear but a fear non the less.
Started using the neti a month or so ago and it helps and feels great afterwards but isn't doing much to stop the recurring blockage
Gotta get an Xray first to make sure excatly what is there and then will most likely get it done. It sure would be nice to breath freely again.

IP Logged

swimchica623
CH.com Old Timer

Get hit.  Hit back harder.
 That's life.

Ocean Pines, MD, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 9:55pm

If you care for another opinion, I had sinus surgery too.  Figured it would not help CH but its chronic and I have chronic sinusitis too so it was worth it.  Very blocked, lots of infections.  Arguably it helped with CH because the mild constant pain was not there when a CH started making hits just slightly slightly more tolerable.  Also less sinus infections (which triggered asthma) meant less prednisone..abruptly going on/off like that triggered some extra hits for me.  So yeah it was good.
Did not fix dev. sept. though...some drs are against this now (had mine at Hopkins) because it does not help as much as they thought.

Good luck!

Lisa

swimchica623 swimchica623  
IP Logged

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 7:25am

Thanks Lisa,
Yes this does help. While I don't beleive the sinus problem aggravates the CH, the constant pain in the siuns area long after a hit is done and the CH like symptoms that come from sinus problems would be nice to get rid of.
Thanks Again.

IP Logged

666ouch
CH.com Newbie

Live in the solution...not
the problem

Alexandria, VA
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:40pm

I had that procedure done about six years ago along with a realignment of the septum to open the right sinus. The right side is the side I get hit on. I had this done when I was out of cycle, would not have considered otherwise. I believe it was helpful not only for the chronic sinusitis but also for ch. Sinus blockage and certain colognes and perfumes had always been triggers for me. After the procedure I went two years without a hit. After a short lived cycle I went four years without a hit until last month.

Of course you need to do what you think is right for yourself. I am glad that I had it done.

Steve

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Being crazy is the only thing that keeps me from going insane!
WWW scheve1775@aol.com  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 11:20am

karma wrote on Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:44am:
Anyone have any experience with sinus surgery and CH?

YES!

I did had two (2) Endoscopic Sinus Surgeries, the second one was during the beginning of my “rendezvous” with CCH, both times had to stay at the hospital for 2 days, I don’t know why….  I had to remove obstruction from the frontal sinus (in German neben Stirnhöhle dont know the corect English term), it did not add any complications nor did it relive any of the CCH episodes…… but it did reduce (almost all) the problems I had in my sinus, and still doing good on that front…..

Michael

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!