Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chronic CH & Sphenopalatine Ganglion RF Ablation (Read 2281 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Chronic CH & Sphenopalatine Ganglion RF Ablation
Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:44am

Headache. 2008 Sep 9. [Epub ahead of print]
Sphenopalatine Ganglion Radiofrequency Ablation for the Management of Chronic Cluster Headache.

Narouze S, Kapural L, Casanova J, Mekhail N.

Cleveland Clinic Foundation-Pain Management Department, Cleveland, OH, USA.

Objectives.- Chronic cluster headache patients are often resistant to pharmacological management. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG) was shown before to improve episodic cluster headache but not chronic cluster headache. We were interested to examine the effect of such intervention in patients with intractable chronic cluster headache who failed pharmacological management. Methods.- Fifteen patients with chronic cluster headache, who experienced temporary pain relief following SPG block, underwent percutaneous RFA via the infrazygomatic approach under fluoroscopic guidance. Collected data include demographic variables, onset and duration of the headache, mean attack intensity (MAI), mean attack frequency (MAF), and pain disability index (PDI) before and up to 18 months after procedure. Results.- At 1-, 3-, 6-, 12-, 18-month follow-up, the MAI was 2.6, 3.2, 3.2, 3.4, 4.2, respectively (P < .0001, P < .0001, P < .0001, P < .0005, P < .003, respectively). The PDI improved from 55 (baseline) to 17.2 and 25.6 at 6 and 12 months respectively (P < .001). The MAF improved from 17 attacks/week to 5.4, 6.4, 7.8, 8.6, 8.3 at 1-, 3-, 6-, 12-, 18-month follow-up visits (P < .0001, P < .0001, P < .0001, P < .002, P < .004, respectively). Conclusion.- Our data showed that percutaneous RFA of the SPG is an effective modality of treatment for patients with intractable chronic cluster headaches. Precise needle placement with the use of real-time fluoroscopy and electrical stimulation prior to attempting radiofrequency lesioning may reduce the incidence of adverse events.

PMID: 18783451 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Re: Chronic CH & Sphenopalatine Ganglion RF Ablation
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 12:36am

Looks promising indeed, Bob. I'm episodic, not chronic, and I hope this will eventually help those who are. Knew Cleve Clinic was tops for heart work but I hadn't realized they researched pain and CH as well. Thanks for the looksee.

David

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 10:26am

Thanks for this, Bob. I have Sphenopalatine (or Sluder's) neuralgia. The symptoms mimic CH, except for the eye pain, and a flare up (usually caused by acute nasal congestion) can trigger a very bad high cycle for me. The neuralgia can trigger CH attacks, and the attacks make the neuralgia worse.  Undecided

My primary care doc suggested a nerve block when things get really bad. I may have to try it when/if it happens again.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:20pm

Glad you posted this, Bob!  My neurosurgeon wants me to look into sphenopalatine block while we are in between nerve stimulator surgeries.  Trouble is, so far we can't find anyone to do it in Philadelphia.  I'll be sure to share this article with him, although he may have already seen it!

Take care!
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:35pm

Bob,

Thanks again for posting another article.  I would ask anyone interested in pursuing a DESTRUCTIVE procedure, such as this, to fully explore the likely side effects.

From my perspective, I would only consider this, or a similar procedure, at the absolute end of my rope.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!