Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to site, not to the pain. (Read 787 times)
River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
New to site, not to the pain.
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:12pm

Well I am new to this site and glad I found it!!! I have suffered from CH for a good 12 years. My GP dx'd me at a young age and I then proceeded to my neuro. I am episodic.  I have been lucky enough to be with CH for the past 4 years and this past week they have returned.  I discovered I was getting CH at age 18.  I am not the textbook typical CH, I am female, I don't drink and I don't smoke, but I feel the pain.  For my husband this is the first episode of CH that he is experiencing with me and I know he feels helpless as I cry and writhe  in pain.  I don't think he understands the amount of severe pain that occurs.  These HA have been termed "suicide HA", and after 4 years without one I remember why they are called that.
After falsely assuming I was done with CH, I am now needing to find a new neurologist and get help quick.  I begin to cry just thinking that I know tonight will bring another CH.  Cry In the past I tried different meds, and O2 therapy-nothing helped, I was forced to ride the CH out each night.  Any and all support  and prayers are appreciated!! I am just happy to know that I found people that understand what it feels like, and I'm not alone
River

River

IP Logged

gldnboy167
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: New to site, not to the pain.
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 4:15pm

My wife has been through 3/4 with me, and everytime I think she cries more than I do.  I know it's hard on her to see me that way.  What sucks is we are going through a divorce, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do without her next time this happens.  I actually a little scared.  I know what they mean when they say the pain can lead to suicide... I know I'll be strong, I'm just worried.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: New to site, not to the pain.
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:44pm

For tonight, get out and stock up on energy drinks, Monster, Rock Star, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. Many can abort or at least substantially reduce an attack by chugging one of these, FAST, at the first hint of an attack.

Try a frozen wash cloth at the base of your neck, and ice on the affected side, both will help lessen an attack for me.

When you tried the oxygen before, how were you using it? To have the vaso constrictive effect we need, it must be from a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, using a non rebreather mask, started at the first hint of an attack. Nasal canulas, re breather masks, low flow regulators, all ineffective against CH. The lungs must get only pure oxygen, no outside air, no exhaled air. Might be worth a try, amny who didn't get relief initially find it to be a miracle treatment when fine tuned.

Then start reading like a mad woman. As you'll se on this site, your ARE NOT UNUSUAL!  We have many many women, who don't smoke, and don't fit any of the 1980's criteria for CH. Wink We still have much educating of doctors to do. There is no reason to sit and wait for the beast, there is too much available out there to help you fight it, we'll all help get you going in the right direction!

Guiseppi

PS: Big hug to your boyfriend, supporters go through their own hell watching us. Get him to log onto the supporters board, good place for him to understand and help you a bit.

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!