Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Approaching the thirty year mark (Read 1938 times)
MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Approaching the thirty year mark
Sep 23rd, 2008 at 7:38pm

Nearly 30 years with these headaches. Tried everything and always after some slight success my body would adjust and no longer react to the meds. Started a seasonal road maintenance business around my cycles which have been the same for all these years ( september to april)and have had great business success. Great family, I have anything money can buy, but still have the CH.
currently on amitriptylene and topamax

sorry for the spelling and grammar....its the drugs...or did i say that already   haha

male, 50, Barrie Ontario Canada
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 7:40pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Approaching the thirty year mark
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:03pm

Quote:
topamax

sorry for the spelling and grammar....its the drugs.

Eeeee-yup.  Dopy-max will do that to ya.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:29pm

I agree with Linda I was on dopamax and forgot how to spell my name,  and nortrip seems yo be better than amitrip for Ch, sorry for the abrev. I just cant spell.  Phil

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:57pm

Welcome to the board, just passed the 30 year make myself, but have been very fortunate in that lithium is holding strong as a prevent, oxygen still isn't failing me!

Read everything on the board, maybe a combo of meds will do you. Verapamil and lithium has proven a magic prevent for many. Don't give up, we'll help you along the way!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Guiseppi wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:57pm:
Welcome to the board, just passed the 30 year make myself, but have been very fortunate in that lithium is holding strong as a prevent, oxygen still isn't failing me!

Read everything on the board, maybe a combo of meds will do you. Verapamil and lithium has proven a magic prevent for many. Don't give up, we'll help you along the way!

Guiseppi

I had no luck with lithium or 25 other meds over the years. Got used to Oxygen which had worked well for a while...revisit it occassionally but never as good as it used to be. Used Verapamil for 9 years and it lessened the intensity somewhat in combo with other meds and then an irregular hearbeat developed ...cleared up as soon as i abandoned verapamil...soon as i tried it again the heart thing started again so no more verapamil.
Topomax at 75 mg and amirtrip at 20mg seems to take the sharp edge off although I still suffer severe Cluster Tic Syndrome in the form of shooting "fireworks" type pain which is unpredictable and the most disconcerting part of my whole cluster experience. These piercing pains come into the head from various angles and you never know from where and many come over the course of a half an hour causing you to physically try and move to avoid them as they "attack" The tic would be followed by a classic cluster headache.For years I had a great neuro who researched this rare phenomenon that affects only some cluster sufferers, but sadly this neuro passed away recently. I will probably start a cluster tic syndrome thread and see how many on here experience it.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:50pm

Just reaching 30 here as well.
We are so cool, still bangin the head after all these years. I think we should get cookies or something. And I too still have CH. I hate it for us all.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Quote:
Just reaching 30 here as well.
We are so cool, still bangin the head after all these years. I think we should get cookies or something. And I too still have CH. I hate it for us all.
all the best
thebb

Oh you children!  Ok, I'll make you some cookies -- get out the milk and be still!  Kiss Kiss 

I love my topamax - have been on it since 99 and it's been my magic bullet. Keeps me sane (well, that's debatable - shut up Chuck!) O2 is my first line of defense (don't leave home without it) and I keep ergotomine around for emergencies.

But except for the "episodic" HIGH cycles, the topamax keeps me down to a mild roar most of the time with only breakthrus and shadows most of the time.

So don't give up -- I thought I had tried EVERYTHING when we hit on the topamax and it just clicked.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:03pm

Quote:
Oh you children!  Ok, I'll make you some cookies -- get out the milk and be still!    

Those big goowie chocolate chip ones will do! Cool
Thanks BD I can get my milk now.
thebb Wink

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 2:44pm

It's been fifteen years for me and back then I dont even think Imirex existed if it did I wasn't given it.  So can you tell us the advances in meds and treatment(if any) in the past 30yrs.  Fifteen years ago I felt like I was the only one on the planet with CH's.  When the neuro first diagnosed me he brought ten of his fellow doctors in the room soo I could tell them my symptoms only one of the other doctors had heard of CH's.  Just wondering how it must have been 30yrs ago?         Smiley    Phil

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 11:51pm

26 years for me and 6 as chronic.  I like big gewey peanut butter cookies or snickerdoodles.
let me know when they are done barbra and i will give you my address. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!