Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CH and nausea (Read 4642 times)
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
CH and nausea
Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:47pm

I get severe nausea quite often with my ch....  According to statistics, that is very unusual.  Nausea is commen in Migraines though, which I do get but usually only with my monthly.  I do know the complete difference between my CH and Migraines....

OK this is turning into a ramble (sorry I'm sleep deprived a bit and sorta stupid at the moment).  But my rambling question is who else gets this CH related nausea?  I depend on phenergan horribly to get by.  I take it almost daily, and more than once a day........

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: CH and nausea
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 10:52pm

When the pain gets past an 8 I get nauseous, but more from just the pain...if that makes sense! Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:43pm

I, too, suffer from nausea if the pain level is high enough.  I keep phenergan and/or compazine suppositories in the refridgerator for such emergencies.  I don't generally use them frequently.

You are not alone!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:59pm

I vomit at the peak of a K-10 often right after I stop sweating like a fire hose. Somewhat rare but we do exist. I tried a lot of meds. I hope you find one to help.                                         ,Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Opus
CH.com Hall of Famer

"We have met the enemy...
and he is us"

Sidney,NY USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:08am

When I was treating my attacks with NSAIDS and Tylonal I would always throw up.

After that it only happened when I got a Cluster-Migraine. They are different from CH becouse they give intense nausea and you have to dance but it makes the pain worse. If you are getting these, the only help I can give is force yourself to sit still, and the pain will lesson. I was not able to abort them with trex and I never had one after I got O2.

Paul

I no longer post because no one cares what I say.
WWW pjbgravely pjbgravely  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:10am

Hey the way it looks its not that rare I also get nausea when I get hit over an 8-9.  I take pormethazine witch I beleive is phenergan I don't have the montly thing but I do get migraines and if its only a migraine I will vomit and feel better if its a migraine/cluster I'll vommit and it feels like my head is going to pop off,  so I take my promethizine three times a day just in case.  I dont recommend this and I am going to stop taking it when I get my new o2 regulator.    Phil

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:15am

Here's a question for you barfers:

After you hurl, does the attack usually stop in a couple of minutes?

BTW - I used to get nauseated from the pain & cafergot too.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:58am

I get yucky from the cafergot and usually take it with phenergan.

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Whipsmart
CH.com Junior

Hipster Doofus

Mason, MI USA
Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 8:18am

I've had nausea a couple of times, but like the others only when the pain level gets too high.  I thought that vomiting would make me feel better, but it didn't.  I just had a gross tasting mouth while it felt like the needle was going into my eye.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:02am

Bob P wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:15am:

When I was a kid, I ALWAYS threw up with my HAs.  It was always after they had hit their peak and then about 10 minutes later the HA would ease up and I would go to sleep.  I even had a doctor tell my mom that it sounded more like a stomach problem than a "migraine" ( hadn't been diagnosed with CH then).   Now I only throw up with high kip levels but it is still at the end of the hit and the HA still goes away soon after.  

Jeannie
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:04am by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

shark boy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:23am

when I reach 8 or 9 I am totaly wet my head in in a hole in the wall and some time I loose my cookies, actually sometime I look forward to this point as I know after this phase I'm on my way down. I really havent tried to fix the nausea part, I figure it's just part of the beast.   shark boy

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:31am

I asked because when I would barf the attack would stop shortly after.  I got to the point I would do the finger down the throat to make myself barf, knowing it would end the attack.  I initally tied this to the physical exertion of ralphing but now, knowing serotonin is produced in the gut, I wonder if it causes some release of serotonin?

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:41am

Bob P wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:31am:
I asked because when I would barf the attack would stop shortly after.  I got to the point I would do the finger down the throat to make myself barf, knowing it would end the attack.  I initally tied this to the physical exertion of ralphing but now, knowing serotonin is produced in the gut, I wonder if it causes some release of serotonin?

Interesting theory......

So, does it end the hit if you throw up early in the HA?

Jeannie

IP Logged

River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:50am

This may be a stupid question, but have you tried the non-drowsy Dramamine?
If the Nausea is too severe I can understand it not working, but it might be worth a try.
River

River

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:10pm

I don't worry about it anymore.  O2 will stop my attacks in 7-10 minutes and never let them get above a Kip3.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 10:32pm

The vomiting does not end the hit at all for me, after I stop the barfing the attack continues for about an hour @ near K-10. I have learned to keep this to a minimum though.

Strange but I was chronic for a couple years when first DX'd and this didn't happen then. (?) Now if the O2 fails and I don't have any back up I most likely will upchuck early in the attack for 10 to 20 minutes.

Call them atypical symptoms (my Doc does) or whatever, I don't know. Light & sound bother me too @ the high Kips. All my other symptoms are textbook CH.                                    , Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

LeeS
CH.com Alumnus

I love C12 H16 N2O!

West London, UK, Europe
Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 5:01am

I only throw-up during very high Kip level attacks; it's always very "violent", and yes Bob, this always marks the end of the attack for me (but not sure if it actually causes the end of the attack Undecided).

I think nausea occurs in up to 90% of migraineurs.  This report suggests that it occurs in nearly a third of CH sufferers:

Quote:
Headache. 2006 Sep;46(8):1246-54. Links

Cluster headache: clinical presentation, lifestyle features, and medical treatment.

Schürks M, Kurth T, de Jesus J, Jonjic M, Rosskopf D, Diener HC.
Department of Neurology, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany.

BACKGROUND: Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache form with a distinct clinical presentation. Misdiagnoses and mismanagement among these patients are high. OBJECTIVE: To characterize clinical features and medical treatment in patients with CH. METHODS: We established a cohort of 246 clinic-based and non-clinic-based CH patients. The diagnosis of CH was verified according to International Headache Society (IHS) criteria. We used standardized questionnaires to assess associated factors as well as success or failure of treatments. RESULTS: The majority (75.6%) was not treated before at our clinic-77.6% were males; 74.8% had episodic CH, 16.7% had chronic CH, in the remaining patients, the periodicity was undetermined because they were newly diagnosed. Cranial autonomic features were present in 98.8%, nausea and vomiting in 27.8%, and photophobia or phonophobia in 61.2% of CH patients. Most (67.9%) reported restlessness during attacks and 23% a typical migrainous aura preceding the attacks. The rate of current smoking was high (65.9%). Half of the patients reported that alcohol (red wine in 70%) triggered CH attacks. Eighty-seven percent reported the use of drugs of first choice (triptans 77.6%, oxygen 71.1%) with sumatriptan subcutaneous injection being the most effective drug for acute therapy (81.2%). The most frequently used preventive medications were verapamil (70.3%) and glucocorticoids (57.7%) with equally high effectiveness. CONCLUSIONS: Apart from the IHS criteria additional features like nausea/vomiting and migrainous aura may guide the diagnosis of CH. A large number of CH patients do not receive adequate treatments.

On a different, yet related note, I read with interest recently that both photophobia and phonophobia appear to be more prevalent in TACs compared with migraine and other headache (which might interest you Don).  I often get photophobia but very seldom phonophobia:

Quote:
Cephalalgia. 2008 Apr 16 [Epub ahead of print]

Unilateral photophobia or phonophobia in migraine compared with trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias.

Irimia P, Cittadini E, Paemeleire K, Cohen AS, Goadsby PJ.
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK.

Our objective was to compare the presence of self-reported unilateral photophobia or phonophobia, or both, during headache attacks comparing patients with trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias (TACs)-including cluster headache, short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) and paroxysmal hemicrania-or hemicrania continua, and other headache types. We conducted a prospective study in patients attending a referral out-patient clinic over 5 months and those admitted for an intramuscular indomethacin test. Two hundred and six patients were included. In episodic migraine patients, two of 54 (4%) reported unilateral photophobia or phonophobia, or both. In chronic migraine patients, six of 48 (13%) complained of unilateral photophobia or phonophobia, or both, whereas none of the 24 patients with medication-overuse headache reported these unilateral symptoms, although these patients all had clinical symptoms suggesting the diagnosis of migraine. Only three of 22 patients (14%) suffering from new daily persistent headache (NDPH) experienced unilateral photophobia or phonophobia. In chronic cluster headache 10 of 21 patients (48%) had unilateral photophobia or phonophobia, or both, and this symptom appeared in four of five patients (80%) with episodic cluster headache. Unilateral photophobia or phonophobia, or both, were reported by six of 11 patients (55%) with hemicrania continua, five of nine (56%) with SUNCT, and four of six (67%) with chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. Unilateral phonophobia or photophobia, or both, are more frequent in TACs and hemicrania continua than in migraine and NDPH. The presence of these unilateral symptoms may be clinically useful in the differential diagnosis of primary headaches.

-Lee

Edited to get name right
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2008 at 5:06am by LeeS »  

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 6:55am

I have suffered at times from Nausea with my headaches at the begining, i suffered from some migraine side effects and my CH came on. I havent had a nauseas CH for over a year and ive been diagnosed for 3 years now.

Bob P i can say from my own experience of riding a kip 8 whilst vomiting the pain subsides whilst you vomit only to return again within seconds of regaining your composure & thinking hey has it gone!!!

PFD TO ALL!!!
SI K

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:49am

I used to think that I was light sensitive with my CH.  While in cycle, light is a trigger.  Riding in a car with the sun flickering between the trees will always set me off.  Now I have come to realize that I am just sensory sensitive during a hit.  Sound, light, touch, even smell makes things worse.   

Jeannie

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 2:06pm

My pain doesn't let up at all when I vomit.  But I always think the nausea will go away when I vomit and that seldom is the case.  I get nausea even at kip levels as low as a 4 or so and I still can function with that level (not as a "normal" person but still get buy) but the feeling of impending yacking stops me from moving too much.  So added to the CH I am stuck not doing the things I want thanks to the nausea.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:22pm

Bob P wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 11:31am:
 I got to the point I would do the finger down the throat to make myself barf, knowing it would end the attack.  I initally tied this to the physical exertion of ralphing but now, knowing serotonin is produced in the gut, I wonder if it causes some release of serotonin?

I have had that same thought Bob.

Nausea is rare with me though ralphing is something to do when all else fails and can seem to help.

Tara Ann- I wonder if using an antacid like tums (calcium) regularly might help. Worth a try and cheap too. The possible connection with serotonin causing the gut to churn up acids.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:25pm by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 4:30am

MJ, that is definately worth a try.

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:53pm

I hurl each night when I wake up in a hit (during cycle)...the pain is still as bad after I hurl for about 15 minutes...but then it's gone. Painful shit I tell ya...

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

KJ
CH.com Alumnus

Indianapolis, IN
Reply #23 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:57pm

Hello, I'm KJ, and I'm a Barfer. Smiley

I always welcomed the porceline prayer, because I would feel better within ten minutes or so. I don't know why, but it shortened the hit tremendously.

Smiley

Quit smoking March 6th, 2008

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:58pm

The first few hits I got of my cycle, I puked with them, then that stopped. Now I'm starting to have the vomiting again.

Vomiting ISN'T rare for me, but I'm usually easily able to determine what the cause is. When it started with the clusters, I had no idea what was causing it, and was pretty damned confused. I'm hoping it'll stop soon.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!