Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carotid Blokage (Read 3314 times)
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Carotid Blokage
Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:33pm

During the last 6-9 months, my CH attacks have been few and sporadic. And all have been easily controlled with O2 I have attributed this to 100 Mg. of Topamax as a prevent, keeping most of the attacks at bay. But tests earlier this week show that my left carotid artery is 90-99% blocked, and the right one is 70-79% blocked.
   So has anybody else run into this. Where the blood flow has been blocked and their CH attacks have demenished? Or is the Dopymax actually doing its job, and this is just a coincidence?

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: Carotid Blokage
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:37pm

Wow Kirk that doesn't sound good the arteries that is whats the plan there and as far as dopamax goes if I remmeber correctly thats the one you tapper up on and by the time I made it to 100mg I was a total zombie, I can't remember if it helped my CH or not thats how bad it was.  You better have a plan for those arteries,  your brain still needs blood even if you have CH's.  Good luck Kirk and let us know what the plans are.    Phil

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:55pm

Not knowing much I would suspect the topomax is doing its thing on the nervous system.

The blocked arteries might be a benefit for CH pain, but potentially a pretty nasty problem otherwise.

I would wonder if the topomax can cause kidney stones could it also be a part cause of the artery blockage.

MJ

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:38am

MJ wrote on Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:55pm:
I would wonder if the topomax can cause kidney stones could it also be a part cause of the artery blockage.

I think it has more to do with the couple of packs of cigarettes a day I used to smoke. Atleast thats the consensus among the medical "professionals" I've discussed it with so far.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 3:19am

Kirk,
Not good news about the blockage, my friend.  A helluva "cure" for CH-stop blood flow to brain.  Topomax didn't do anything for me- I discontinued because of untenable side-effects.
Keep us posted, okay.
PFDAN
kathy

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:41pm

How do they clear the blockage without risking stroke?  Sounds dicy to me.  Let us know how it goes...

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:48pm

I recall reading a thread a few years ago about a blocked carotid and it triggering an episode when cleared. It is foggy and could have been the other way around. Just a thought. All the best with that.
thebb

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 7:38pm

I'm sure that you already know that when they find Cartoid blockage that bad, there is probably more residing further down..........

My last Neuro insisted on seeing an MRA every two years because of exactly that concern.

Be careful and hang in there Kirk.

Marc

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 2:08am

Quote:
I recall reading a thread a few years ago about a blocked carotid and it triggering an episode when cleared. It is foggy and could have been the other way around. Just a thought. All the best with that.
thebb

Actually, I remember the same thread...and you have it right, John.  Can't recall who it was, however.

I've known a couple of people who've had the surgery to correct a partially-blocked carotid (including my mother) and it seemed to be relatively simple and uneventful.  Marc, of course, is correct that there may be blockage elsewhere, which is certainly something to be aware of.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 3:01am

Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully the Dopeymax will keep on doing its thing after the procedure is over.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Getting it taken care of this week. Gotta go for a dye test to see how far it is, then I'm hoping they keep him to get it fixed. Have to drive to Indy, and I hope we don't have to drive back and forth. Just a bit worried.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 9:11am

Lots of vibes being sent out to you Kirk.  My mom had the procedure and ended up having to have the bypass sugery due to 100% blockage of her carotid artery.  Let us know how everything goes Chris.

Hugs,
Beth

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Just got back from from seeing the Indovascular Docs at Indy. They are going to Roto-Rooter the left Carotid to remove the blockage. The scheduling nurse will get in touch with me to set up a date for it. I'm going to try for a Fri. morning so I can be discharged on Sat. That way Chris can go over with me,check me in for surg. on Fri. morning, and pick me up on Sat. morning. then we can spend the rest of the weekend with our Trikes together. Weather permitting.

Smiley

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:51am

OK.  A Friday sounds good.  Your attitude is so good.  I hope they call soon.  I hate "hurry up & wait".

Charlotte

IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:09am

Check your PM's ASAP please!

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:40pm

Prayers, vibes, mojo and all that shit coming from Boston, bro!!!!

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:56pm

Charlotte wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:51am:
 I hate "hurry up & wait".

Charlotte

That's what is getting me. Supposed to be scheduled to have surgery within 2 weeks. I wish they would call so I can make arrangements.  ARRGH.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!