Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hell seems like paradise (Read 2278 times)
catscratchfever
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

bermuda
hell seems like paradise
Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:50pm

afternoon all,this is my first post here so I would like to say hello toall of you.I had no idea that  so many people suffer from these nasty headaches.Ive been a CH for 19 years now and its starting to rip me to pieces.the pain seems to get worse every year,Ive tried maxalt,imitrex,frovotriptan pretty much every triptan out there,the beast just laughs at these candies.When the triptans dont work I pop pain killers.Ive taken percoset dyhydrocodine and now demerol.this stuff is freaking me out,Ihate taking all this stuff but I dont know what else to do!My doc does not want to prescribe me O2,he says its not good for you.he has no poroblem giving me demerol though.These headache bring me to tears now,I totally broke down last night,I wanted to kill myself to stop the pain.thank god Ive got a good woman on my side,shes my life and my best friend.without her I would not be writing this rightnow,Here in bermuda I dont know anyone who suffers from this hell,so nobody  understands what I go through,then again I wouldnt wish this on anyone,So after reading some posts on this forum I think Im going to tell my doctor I want oxygen,seems safer than pills to me   thanx for your time

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Re: hell seems like paradise
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Welcome to the board.  Sorry to hear you are in pain.  I will never understand Dr's who will not hesitate to Rx narcotics and then deny 02.  Welders 02 is an option if you cannot get your Dr to give you the medical 02. 

Hope you are pf soon.

Beth

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:47pm

catscratchfever wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:50pm:
So after reading some posts on this forum I think Im going to tell my doctor I want oxygen,seems safer than pills to me

And if that doesn't work fire his ass and find another one  Wink

Welcome home my cluster brother...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 3:22pm

When dealing with a doctor who has no experience/knowledge in a problem confronting them their reaction will be to be cautious: they don't want to harm the patient or themselves.

In such situations, you must present them with medical sourced literature which they can recognize and whose  authority they can accept. Several of us have had success with this approach. In effect, we educate our doctors without insulting them or brusing their ego.

If you will go back to my first reply to you, print out the Rozen article and then point out two items on one page--on oxygen and, in the next column on olanzapine. Give him the entire document as a way of outlining the most current best practice in treating CH.

This approach which I'm outlining is behind the suggestion that you buy the Robbins book (around $60) and offer to share it with him.

Now, if offering good material does not allow him to learn from you--then you have the classic signs of a closed mind and you need to find a new doc. It's sometimes the case that a younger doc will be be receptive. They are often more often to learning whereas the doc with decades of practice behind them also get rigid.

You have few options in Bermuda unless you can afford trips to the U.S. to visit a good headache clinic here and stay a couple of weeks. If this is not an option, then becoming assertive with your local docs is the best option.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008 at 3:26pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:16pm

catscratchfever wrote on Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:50pm:
this is my first post here

That is a non truth!  Wink

catscratchfever wrote on Sep 19th, 2008 at 4:46pm:
hello all,first time for me on a site like this.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:50pm

First time starting a thread, perhaps?

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:00pm

Quote:
First time starting a thread, perhaps?

Nope

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:58pm

Quote:
I pop pain killers.Ive taken percoset dyhydrocodine and now demerol.this stuff is freaking me out,Ihate taking all this stuff but I dont know what else to do!My doc does not want to prescribe me O2,he says its not good for you.he has no poroblem giving me demerol though.

This would freak me out too.  Stop the narcotics and fire that A$$hole.  Get a Dr.....even your primary care Dr.....to give you a script for 02.  Print out the 02 page and take it to him. 

"02 isn't good for you"   but Percoset, Vicodin, Codiene, etc, IS??????

I'd have walked out of that room when he said that and reported him to the AMA.  Jeeze this stuff makes me so angry I may have to take anger management classes. 

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

catscratchfever
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

bermuda
Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:55pm

johnny you are right that wasnt my first post,I didnt think it went through,took a little while.sorry if I offended you in anyway.anyway....last night was really bad,the beast as you guys call it hit me every 90min.Im a complete wreck today,that has never happened to me before.Im afraid to eat ,drink leave the house.these things usually hit me once or twice in the early hours.I had seven hits ,thats a record for me,has this ever happened to anyone else?If it does Im going to admit myself into the hospital

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 2:01pm

Im not offended at all.

Keep reading, you may find something that will help. Try to get a tank of welding 02 and a mask. Thats what I use and it works great.

Keep your chin up, bro!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!