Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Member :) (Read 1931 times)
PeteAtoms
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Member :)
Oct 1st, 2008 at 8:09pm

Hey, I'm just posting to thank the people at this site for advice that i have read. I got my first ch 2 months ago. It was in the middle of the night and it started out in the middle of my brow (between my eyebrows). it felt like a pencil was trying to push its way out of my head. But it sort of migrated over to my left eye, and my eyes felt like it was being poked from behind. and there it stayed for about half an hour.

Over the next 2 weeks i had 5 more. But I haven't had any problems since.

EDIT: For anyone interested, I am a 20 year old male. i don't drink or do drugs. (i do however take sleeping pills to sleep, but those are basically antihistamines, not that bad)

At first, I asked about it on yahoo answers, and the only answers I got were about my sinuses. It made sense at the time, but I only recently heard about cluster headaches. my friend told me about them, and I've never heard of it before. but after reading the symptoms of ch's, i'm convinced that's what it was.

sorry for writing all that, i just felt like sharing my story. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008 at 8:11pm by PeteAtoms »  

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Re: New Member :)
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:25pm

Welcome, Pete! I'm hoping this was some kinda renegade, and it's all behind you now.
Should the above turn out to be a pipe dream, however, we are all here ready to help you cope.
First thing anyone is gonna tell you is GET A DIAGNOSIS! Confirmation will help determine how you manage this affliction........err, assuming, but certainly NOT hoping you have another  attack.   
Meantime, drop in, tell us how you're doing and educate yourself a bit. We can be a pretty fun group, as well!
Especailly at your age, I hope you find it was just a fluke-and there ARE people who have only had ONE cycle.........I'm hoping that is you!
Stick around ,share and learn!
PF! (that's pain-free)
Cathi Cheesy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:33pm

Hi Pete,

Cathi is one of our "PREMIERE"   supporters here but I have something to add.

Over to the left of where you are reading this take the cluster quiz.  See a Dr. who specializes in headaches.  Then read read read read here.   Over a thousand years of experiences combined.

Please do not hesitate to ask us questions.  Every single one of us had mulitple questions at the beginning.  Grin

We are all here to help.    Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:42pm

Hi Pete-   Smiley

Just wanted to welcome you to the site.  you have gotten great advice already by several of the veterans.  If we can help , let us know.

Kelly

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:00pm

Hi Pete.  Welcome to the family.  I can't stress enough to read, read, and read some more.  Read all the things to the left and the OUCH website.  Ask questions, there are no stupid questions here.  Everyone here is so wonderful and helpful.  If you haven't already make an appt. to see a nuero.  Then make a game plan of what things you can do as far as preventative and abortives.

Again, welcome home.

Hugs,

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 11:23am

Linda_Howell wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:33pm:
...Then read read read read here.   Over a thousand years of experiences combined.

Hey Linda, what about the rest of us? We've had it for a while too, ya know!

(G'day Pete. Welcome home.)

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 12:44pm

Welcome Pete,

Aussie Brian - i think Linda meant as a collective!!!
Smiley

PFD TO ALL

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 2:08pm

Linda has given fair warning! Now we start throwing stuff at you  so that you can learn about your new buddy...
----------

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the best overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article if you are serious about keeping a
good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
============
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 2:10pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 8:29pm

Bob's given you a TON of reading to do, read it. The biggest problem with this condition is it's rare. Plopping your butt in front of a doctor and saying fix me is a recipe for many painful nights. READING EVERYTHING ON THIS BOARD,  educating yourself and working in partnership with a good neurologist, gives you the best chance at keeping the upper hand on the beast.

And like Linda said, you won't find a more comprehensive collection of knowledge on CH ANYWHERE!!

gUISEPPI

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!