Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am officially married to a clusterhead (Read 3901 times)
Kit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal, Quebec
I am officially married to a clusterhead
Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:31am

Hello everyone!
I am so glad I found you. My husband started experiencing headaches just over 3 weeks ago. He told me about them after the first 2 nights when he woke up with severe headaches and we thought it was simply stress at work. The next 2 nights he woke me up (once on purpose and once by accident) and I wanted him to go to the ER, but he is stubborn, so he didn't. After the 4th night I played internet doctor (which I hate to do because you end up scaring yourself with all kinds of craziness) and the only thing I found that really seemed likely was CH. I started to journal his headaches, which increased in frequency and we went to the clinic. My husband had not been to a doctor in years. He was referred to a neurologist and got a CT scan. After about 5 minutes of questioning from the neuro she said "I know what you have - cluster headaches". He said, yeah that's what I thought. I was amazed because after what I had read I was so worried he would not get diagnosed quickly. She's sending him for an MRI just to make sure there's nothing hiding but she is confident that it's CH, so he got a prescription for Zomig & Verap - she also wanted to give him pred but hubby didn't like the sound of the side effects so he nixed that and she did not force him which I think is great.
So...it's a weird situation. I am happy that it's not a brain tumor but I was still hoping for "it's just a really bad sinus infection, take these pills and you'l be fine in a week". I have seen some of his really bad headaches but he says I have not seen the worst and he doesn't want me to. I have been reading lots on the message boards and learning a lot and although my hubby is not the type to post anything or read any of this he has encouraged me to so that I can give him any info I find, or share stories or whatever. He also wants me to be able to talk to other people that are supporters for my sake, because even through all he is going through he wants to make sure I am OK - how wonderful is he?
Anyway, at least through all this I know I can come here and so far it's been a big help to me, and hopefully I can help him any way I can (and let's face it, not much I can do at all). Thanks for letting me have a place to get this all out! Smiley

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Re: I am officially married to a clusterhead
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:47am

Hi Kit  Smiley.  Welcome home, my friend.  You have to come to the right place for advice and support.  As the saying goes, glad you found us, sorry you had to.

Read all the information to the left and check out the OUCH website.  There is so much information there.  Plus, you will get tons of advice from other sufferers and supporters.

I'm sure that Jackie and Cathi will be along shortly to welcome you as well.  They are both angels that have earned their wings many times over IMHO.  They have really been there for me. 

One thing that you will hear, will be to get some oxygen.  Oxygen is one of the best ways to help you hubby abort a hit.  Make sure he gets a nonrebeather mask and a regulator that goes up to at least 15lpm, 25lpm would be best.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  There are no stupid questions here.  This is a great place to vent and get support.  Supporters need support too, and this is the best place to get that.

Again Kit, welcome to the family.  We're happy your here.

Big Hugs  Smiley

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 12:05pm

Kit wrote on Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:31am:
...and hopefully I can help him any way I can (and let's face it, not much I can do at all).

Far be it from me to tell a first-time poster, and a supportor, that she's wrong but here goes.

Kit, you're wrong.

Not much you can do at all?  Lady, you've already done so much and all of it right! You accepted his situation, sought information, agreed with his decisions and maintained poise and control under what can be very trying circumstances.

You're welcome around my beer-fridge any day of the week.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 1:23pm

HOLY SHIT!!

I can't believe I actually agree with that down under scoundrel, AussieBrian!!!   Wink  Grin

For once in his life, he is dead on correct! Smiley   Smiley

Kit, you are the MOST important thing to him, at this time!  You are doing the best things that you can by being here, and doing your research!  He is SO lucky to have you!

As was mentioned, check into the oxygen, as it is a lifesaver for most of us.  It is not a preventative, but an abortive, that has almost no side effects.  Go to the medical section of this site, and look at the two threads that are stickied to the top section, about oxygen.  (Help in getting oxygen prescribed; and Oxygen terms explained)  That should give you most of the information that you need.

What part of the world do you two reside?  What is his first name?  (I hate to call him "Hey YOU!"  Or "Hey $hithead!"  
{I would hate to take YOUR favorite term of endearment}

Keep asking questions, and read all you can from this site and the OUCH site.

Welcome to the insane asylum family!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 6:58pm

Hi Kit,

I'm married to a cluster head too....for a long time.

You're doing just fine, Sweetie....stay after it.

The more you learn about the condition the more you'll be able to help hubby.  Knowledge is power or read, read and then read some more.

Hang around and ask question, vent, visit, cuss and discuss, etc.  There's always someone around to help.

Welcome & Big hugs...
Jackie

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:04pm

Hi, Kit, pleased to meet you......and it is with mixed emotions I welcome you. I hate that anyone suffers this affliction, but, since your hubby is part of the club, I'm glad you found the best place to help you BOTH cope!
jen has, somehow, stolen my routine( KissI'm fine with that)....so, let's see, read, read, read, get your hubby online to share with others and both of you. Please ask questions. Sounds like you got lucky with your Neuro, though I hae no clue why you weren't steered to the 02.
Kit, you are EXTREMELY important to your husbands well-being here!
clusterheads value their supporters as often they are the first line of defense, the one who first sees a hit coming on, the one who gets the ice pack or frozen peas, and the one who cries with them......even when they don't know. To that end, it's important that you stay strong and healthy, get you rest, eat well, and find some "me" time.......time to read a book, take a walk, so many things to refresh your soul.......
most of sll, please, both of you, don't let this beast consume your life. He will be there.BUT.....CH doesn't kill......and you live your LIFE....you don't put it on hold because of the beast.
There's someone here pretty much 24/7, so whenever you need to reach out, please do.........Clusterville is a wonderful, caring place to visit-especially when the beast has left you dazed and confused.
Take really good care of each other, and let us know when you need help.........
Wishing you PF!
Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Sorry Cathi.  I didn't mean too, honest.

Hugs  Smiley 

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:01pm

Quote:
Sorry Cathi.  I didn't mean too, honest.

You did nothing wrong  Jen.   I asked Cathi and Jackie to come here and add their advice to kit.  We're all one happy family here and any and ALL advice to newcomers is welcomed.  

As my good friend John BBzzzzz always says..."it's all good"

Linda

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:03pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:32am

Jen, seee the smiley kiss? I am thrilled that you chimed in when you did!
Kiss

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Kit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal, Quebec
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:06am

Well thank you, everyone! I have already seen just by reading over the past few days how you are all really like a big family and you have made me feel welcome, and I must admit, less helpless than I felt a few days ago. My husband's name is Chris, btw, but I have been known to call him other things at times Cheesy
I will definately look into the oxygen, especially since he is not keen on taking too many meds. Thankfully (and knocking on wood) he has had 2 days in a row with nothing more than a few shadows, so it was a great weekend.
Did I mention that we are both smokers, so I am doing something else for him - we are quitting. We had been talking about it for a while before all this happened, so talk about motivation to quit! And I guess I would be quitting for myself too  Roll Eyes
Thanks again everyone, and we'll be chatting again soon!
Kit

IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:09pm

Welcome to the board Kit.  Your hubby is lucky to have you in his corner.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:48pm

If you can make coffee, you can help. My wife is my savior while I'm headbanging. She is my eyes, ears, and I would be lost in CH hell without her. You will find as your skills develop, that you will know when to be with him or when to get away. You will know when the headache is coming as fast as he does. Make a plan together when the pain is bearable, what to do when. Anything above a Kip 6 is incapacitating. It it invaluable to us to have someone there that can think, see, and talk for us. Remember you are the advocate for him when he is incapacitated with pain. That is worth more that all the gold in the world. Smiley
and it's all good  Wink
thebb

IP Logged

Kit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal, Quebec
Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 4:11pm

Hello everyone...I just want to vent and I figured I would just continue where I originally posted...
Chris had been PF for over a week, then we had a crazy weekend, a very good friend of ours has bi-polar disorder and had a psychotic episode this weekend, leading hubby to only sleep about 2 hours on Saturday, followed by phone calls & hospital visits etc.. on Sunday & Monday (can't say what's worse, CH or bi-polar disorder, now that I have seen first hand what both can do to a loved one).
Anyway, hubby admitted to me that since sunday he has experienced some low kip very brief headaches and a few shadows. DAMN!
We were getting hopeful that his cycle was over. I know it was probably lack of sleep & stress that aggrivated the situation, but DAMN!
Try to explain to Chris (who is super loyal to his friends and family) to get his rest when one of his friends is in need, forget it. He even said he would gladly suffer from CH if it would mean our friend would be okay (God, I really love this man).
Anyway, so I guess it's not over, I will just keep my fingers crossed that he will not get any worse ones and maybe it will really be over soon.  Undecided

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 4:51pm

Hi Kit.  I'm sorry to hear that Chris is getting hit again.  Chris sounds like one hell of a stand up guy and a great friend.  I hope his friend knows how lucky he is to have someone like Chris in his corner. 

Now, Chris needs to take care of himself.  He can't be at the hospital or whatever 24/7.  It doesn't make him any less of a great friend.  He can't be there for his buddy if he is exhausted and suffering.  Make him get rest.  I know it's easier said than done.

You missy, need to take care of yourself too.  Come here and vent away.  I find that it helps me tons. 

Keep on damning that dirty demon bastard to hell.

Big Hugs  Smiley

Jen

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 10:25am

Kit wrote on Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:06am:
Did I mention that we are both smokers, so I am doing something else for him - we are quitting. We had been talking about it for a while before all this happened, so talk about motivation to quit! And I guess I would be quitting for myself too  Roll Eyes
Thanks again everyone, and we'll be chatting again soon!
Kit
Welcome Kit and thanks for being a supporter.  My wife does not come on here, but she is a huge supporter.  She just doesn't like the internet unless she is buying something, go figure, LOL!   As for the smoking, definitely quit.  I have been smoke free for 3 years and I will have to say that my cycles have shortened, the frequency has shortened, the intensity has gone down, and I have not had a sinus infection or bronchitis since.  It will do you both good especially Chris since smoking is a HUGE trigger.  I wish you and Chris the best
and wish him many PF days ahead.

Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

coco
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:40am

I am also married to a chronic clusterhead.  There is never a time when there is no cycle.  Sometimes it is not as severe as others, but always there.  Been to every doctor possible.  Currently using Botox which worked for about a year, but the beast returned.  My strength comes from my husband.  He RARELY lets it affect his life.  I get to see him in extreme pain all the time.  I see him weep every so often. I try to deal.  I leave him alone when he is in pain as that is what he wants.  I don't let him see me cry when I do.  My goal is to be a supportive wife.  I never complain to him.  I never get mad when he snaps.  I try to take it easy on him when he has a headache.  If he wants to carry on, we carry on.  If he wants to be alone, I leave him alone.  I find my own support away from him so he doesn't feel guilty.
I pray that they go away as mysteriously as they came.  I pray that a doctor can treat him.  I NEVER give up.  He is my hero.
Coco

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Coco...
You, my dear, are a GREAT supporter.  A lot about dealing, for both sufferer and supporter, is attitude.  You and hubby both have it nailed.

Wishing you both well.

Thanks for sharing.

Jackie

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 5:18pm

Hi Coco  Smiley

You sound like a great supporter and you know just what your man needs.  Keep on living life to its fullest.

Hugs,

Jen

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:05pm

all you supporters should take a bow.
you all have it down, you take our crap,make the coffee,fill the o2, and fight everything when we can't. it has been said that chronic ch are the toughest i might suggest the supporter of a chronic is pretty tough too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!