Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
endomorphins (Read 869 times)
joesf
CH.com Junior

x1|San francisco|USA|usa|18|156|
endomorphins
Oct 5th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Hi Gang, Im back.
I havent been in here since 2004. That was my last episode with CHs. Since the beginning of Septemeber I have felt them coming on. Yesterday I got 4 of them. Only one was really bad enough to get me into a full run. More on that in a moment.
Ive been battling these off and on for years now. Only this time they were away for quite a while. I am getting older and I was hoping they were gone for good.
The only things that work for me is a hot shower or walking briskly and even running if its bad enough. (tried O2 meds etc. ) When the hot showers dont work its only the tread mill that i can go to for relief until I am totally exhausted. Slowing the pace of moving will even bring up the pain so I have to keep going.

Anyway I found this today. I dont know if anyone has talked about the effects of endomorphins . Maybe thats why I have to run with a really bad one.

best wishes to all..
Joe

Why Exercise can help you! Here's how exercise makes a difference if you are dealing with headaches.

Reduced muscle tension, all that tension that makes you feel tired out all the time, that makes you not want to exercise in the first place, right?

Minimize anxiety which makes it easier to cope
Increases relaxation in general

Increases blood circulation meaning more oxygen in and more toxins out! Muscles less likely to spasm

Reduced fatigue

Improved sleep

Improved digestion This means more nutrients that your body needs, and quick removal of toxins.

Increased endomorphins in the body. Endomorphins are your body's natural painkillers. They also help you feel better overall. The problem is that endomorphin levels often seem to be low in migraineurs, and frequent use of painkillers can lower the level still further. If you can increase the endomorphins through exercise, you're decreasing your need for other painkillers and ending the downward spiral. Endomorphins are a huge headache and exercise bonus.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: endomorphins
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 4:49pm

I thought they were called endorphins.

Anyhow, welcome back. Stick around and row the boat for awhile. There are plenty here who can't row when they're down and out. This place needs every rower it can muster.

IP Logged

joesf
CH.com Junior

x1|San francisco|USA|usa|18|156|
Re: endomorphins
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 5:40pm

Here is a definition. I was wondering what the difference was. In any case they do act as natural pain killers and may be stimulated by acupuncture. All I know is it may expain why it hurts less when I get moving and why once several years ago when I was undergoing painful rehabilitative physical therapy for a broken knee the CH I had at the time seemed to be suddenly switched off. Because of the CH I was enduring I paid no attention to the PT proceedure. The PT remarked at the end of the session, "man you can really take pain, most people dont let me go that far". I never told him about the CH I was having during the session!
As far as this being a runners high though. I doubt it because the pain levels drop a bit soon after I get moving briskly and come back immediately if I slow down. If I go long enough I can subdue it. Also sometimes I have no desire to run and find that being alone and quiet can help, but not usually. Of course waiting it out like I did for 5 hours on a flight to Hawaii once is sometimes all you can do.

from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Endorphins (or more correctly Endomorphines) are endogenous opioid biochemical compounds. They are peptides produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. In other words, they might work as "natural pain killers." Using drugs may increase the effects of the endorphins. Hugo is a masculine name. ... The Entrez logo The Entrez Global Query Cross-Database Search System allows access to databases at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) website. ... The Mendelian Inheritance in Man project is a database that catalogues all the known diseases with a genetic component, and - when possible - links them to the relevant genes in the human genome. ... The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the US National Library of Medicine (NLM), which is a branch of the US National Institutes of Health. ... Swiss-Prot is a curated biological database of protein sequences created in 1986 by Amos Bairoch during his PhD and developed by the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and the European Bioinformatics Institute. ... Short and long arms Chromosome. ... Chromosome 2 is one of the 23 pairs of chromosomes in humans. ... This article or section does not adequately cite its references or sources. ... RUNNERS HIGH, the pillows ninth album was released on January 22, 1999 under the King Records label. ... Endorphin can mean: Endorphin, the chemical. ... The word endogenous means arising from within. Compare exogenous. ... An opioid is a chemical substance that has a morphine-like action in the body. ... Peptides (from the Greek πεπτος, digestible), are the family of short molecules formed from the linking, in a defined order, of various α-amino acids. ... The pituitary gland, or hypophysis, is an endocrine gland about the size of a pea that sits in a small, bony cavity (pituitary fossa) covered by a dural fold (sellar diaphragm) at the base of the brain. ... The hypothalamus (from Greek ὑποθαλαμος = under the thalamus) is a region of the mammalian brain located below the thalamus, forming the major portion of the ventral region of the diencephalon and functioning to regulate certain metabolic processes and other autonomic activities. ... Classes and Clades See below Male and female Superb Fairy-wren Vertebrates are members of the subphylum Vertebrata (within the phylum Chordata), specifically, those chordates with backbones or spinal columns. ... In medicine, the term opiate describes any of the narcotic alkaloids found in opium. ... For other uses of painkiller, see painkiller (disambiguation) An analgesic (colloquially known as painkiller) is any member of the diverse group of drugs used to relieve pain. ... Many drugs are provided in tablet form. ...

The term "endorphin" implies a pharmacological activity (analogous to the activity of the corticosteroid category of biochemicals) as opposed to a specific chemical formulation. Pharmacology (in Greek: pharmacon (φάρμακον) meaning drug, and logos (λόγος) meaning science) is the study of how substances interact with living organisms to produce a change in function. ... In physiology, corticosteroids are a class of steroid hormones that are produced in the adrenal cortex. ...

The term endorphin rush has been adopted in popular speech to refer to feelings of exhilaration brought on by pain, danger, or other forms of stress,[1] supposedly due to the influence of endorphins. However, this term does not occur in the medical literature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!