Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nursing mother taking Immitrex?? (Read 1372 times)
MegRedmon
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Columbia|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Nursing mother taking Immitrex??
Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:17pm

I have suffered from CH for 10 years.  I usually get them every fall Oct/Nov.  I had 2 babies back to back (15 months apart) and was CH free for 3 years until 3 days ago.  I had my son 3 weeks ago and it looks like the monster is back.  Has anyone taken Immitrex while breast feeding?  I usually take anywhere from 1 to 3 doses in a 24 hour period.  Everything I read on the internet says it passes through breast milk but nothing has been documented how it affects the baby.  Any personal experiences out there?  I will be calling my Nuro first thing in the morning so I haven't consulted him yet.  Also, I am a little scared.  The CH always suck my spirit and put me in a depression until the cycle is over.  Now with adding the baby blues, sleep depreviation and dealing with CH I am scared of my mental state.  I am staying home all day alone with 2 very small children.  Any advice?

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Nursing mother taking Immitrex??
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:03am

MegRedmon wrote on Oct 5th, 2008 at 11:17pm:
Any advice?

YES!

Switch your primary abort method from Imitrex to OXYGEN!  It is much cheaper, and MUCH MUCH safer!

Even if you have tried it in the past, and it did not do much for you, try it again.  Make SURE you are using it properly!  Use bottled oxygen, NOT a concentrator.  Us it at AT LEAST 15 LPM, with a non-rebreathing mask.  The nose canulas are virtually worthless.

Go to the medications section of this site, and on the top, sticked up there, are two threads about oxygen that should answer any questions you have.  If they don't answer your questions, ask them here, or send me a PM.  I would be happy to call you on the phone to discuss its use.

I don't know that I have ever heard of any complications to using 'trex, while nursing, but, in my mind, why take a chance, if it can be avoided by using oxygen.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:09pm

Get the 02, maybe consider switching to formula. Remember you are not alone. You have a big load there. Just with the infants. Women are so tough, and that is probably why. Dont forget to treat yourself anytime you can, even if it's just nice quiet cup of tea. Stop the bad thoughts in their tracks. Where the mind goes the person follows, lead yourself to pleasant places and positive thoughts. Wish I could help more. Kiss
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:49pm

Aww, new baby.......how wonderful! I am sorry the beast decided to come stay while you are recuperating!
If it were me, I'd make sure my gyno knew I was doing the trex-you're right, anything you ingest becomes part of the makeup of your breast milk.....and I haven't a clue what trex is made up of...my appendix blew when my son was 2 weeks old......I couldn't nurse, due to the pain meds and antibiotics that were being pumped into me. Believe me, it was a huge adjustment for my lil one to switch to a bottle, and then, when I was off all meds, I switched him back again!
Chuck gave you excellent advice! 02 will not interfere with nursing and is perfectly safe for the baby. Ask questions here! Years of experience in dealing with the beast will help you to get through this-and any-rough patch!
Good luck, and keep us posted............oh! And NEVER let the beast win! If you're feeling low, get over here! We'll help when we can with the blues!
Wishing you PF
cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Yeas...please do ask your Dr. for oxygen.  There is a link to the left of here.  Print it out and take it to your Dr. if need be.  (it is one of the links in yellow)

There is a woman here,  whose child developed CH at the age of three.  Imitrex is a vasodialtor and is not reccomended for children, so all he has IS 02.  If a 3 yr. old must not take it...I would assume an infant shouldn't either even if it is through breast milk.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 7:09pm

I apologize Meg,  The link to print off for your Dr. is here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:22pm

mom's here tend to pump and dump when using jabs.

Get thyself Oxygen and remember....peas are your friend

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus

breathe

x1||USA|usa|522|64|ME,Maine
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 3:15pm

Hello!
Congratulations on your new baby!

I am a mommy of three boys. I only used oxygen when i nursed my last baby who is now 2.5 years old. It wasn't easy, but it's doable. One thing that you have going for you is that if you are nursing that causes your body to produce all sorts of feel good hormones like oxytocin which can naturally help with your depression.

I did not want to take imitrex and nurse because i knew how icky the trex side effects made me feel and i didn't want that nasty stuff any where near my baby.

Please talk to your neuro and your pediatrician about how you are feeling and about your choices.... As E-Double said(and he was a super nursing dad Wink) , pumping and dumping the milk is a choice if you need to take meds. also try showers, frozen peas on your head, and a list by the phone of helpers, and visit this board a lot. Support is the best med!

PM me if you want to talk,
please let us know how you are doing.
be well and PF!
-Rori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!