Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Culture of Clusterheads (Read 5613 times)
Memphis John
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

The Culture of Clusterheads
Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:36am

I emailed DJ about this project I'm doing for a course in college.  He said I was welcome, and that if I post exactly what I emailed him, I'd be welcomed by the members too.  So I'm just going to post that email, sorry it's so long.  Here goes:

I'll give a little background first.  My name is John Thomas from Memphis TN.  One of my closest friends of 20 or so years is a cluster headache sufferer and has mentioned your website and its message board numerous times.  Being such close friends we've discussed this subject quite a bit over the years, and when I married a woman that suffers from classic migraines, I learned very quickly how different they are.  So I have a little background on cluster headaches and have read through some of the information on your site to get a better understanding of the medical issues and treatments.

Now to the crux of the issue and why I am writing to you: I am a student that has returned to college after a loooooong absence.  I have a class in which we are doing an ethnographic study of a subculture of our choosing.  I think the website and community you've created certainly qualifies, and since I have a friend that suffers from cluster headaches it is one that interests me.  I was originally going to work with migraine culture, but it seems the websites and forums are a little too soft and fuzzy to hold my interest.  Yours, however, seems to strike at the heart of such a painful condition and feels much more dynamic and real.  I'd like to gain a greater understanding of how cluster headaches affect members' lives, how they deal with them in regards to the outside world, and how they find solace in the
community you've created.

I apologize for the length of this email, but I want to make sure that
everything I do in this project is above-board and open to anyone willing to talk to me or allow me to use their message posts in this project.  Anyone that is quoted or referred to can say they don't like what I've written.  I will remove it.  Anyone I talk to is welcome to look at the finished project.  I have no desire to be mole.  This isn't a dirt-digging expedition.  It is a project that evolves from a sincere desire to understand the way cluster headache sufferers interact and help each other.

To wrap things up, I am asking for your permission to become a member of your forum as a supporter and ask some questions that will give me some insight into the community.  I know that I will never understand the pain you and the other members feel.  What I hope to understand is how this subculture became a subculture and how the web has helped people with cluster headaches connect with others who share their pain.

John

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: The Culture of Clusterheads
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:44am

Personally, I have no problem with it. Understand, however, that many people are leery of giving out personal information to a complete stranger over the internet (or the phone, or e-mail, or however, for that matter).

Understand, too, that I don't make these decisions. I'm just a member here.

IP Logged

Memphis John
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 11:58am

Yeah, I understand that, and I'm really not looking for personal information.  Just trying to get a handle on how this supporters network works.  I hope people will be willing to talk to me, and I really hope somebody might be willing to answer some questions via email, but like I said, I'm not digging for dirt, just a student trying to gain some knowledge.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:01pm

John,

I'm not volunteering other people's information but since it's posted, take a look.  On the general board is a thread, "I have a dream".  Check that thread out and in particular Gator's posts, there's a good intro.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:10pm

I'll answer any questions via email I feel comfortable with.

Bill

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Memphis John
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Thanks Kevin.  I'll be sure to check that.  I think people understand that when they're posting on a message board, basically, their posts become public.  But I'm not going to be pulling people's posts willy-nilly and using them in my project/paper.  I'll email to ask permission, and if that permission is denied, I won't use it.  I realize that the people that come to this board are hurting and I'm certainly not interested in causing anyone stress by using something they wrote if they don't want me to.

IP Logged

Memphis John
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Thanks Bill.  We're going through "interview training" right now.  I'll be in touch.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:18pm

I'm still fairly new around here but not new to CH.  I'd be willing to answer questions as well.  Feel free to PM me.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:37pm

Happy to help if I can.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:54pm

John, welcome aboard.  Did you know that you are a supporter?

For me, this site and the support I have received here has made the difference between life and death. I have other headaches also, shorter in duration than ch, that contribute to my need for support.

This group is very diverse, and the only thing we all have in common is that we or a loved one has ch.  We all serve differnt functions, like the parts of a body - some reach out with loving hearts, some reach out with head knowledge, and some drive over with a tank of O2.

We get to know each other in a way we don't even know our own family, and support each other in our other struggles also.  When someone asks for prayer to deal with personal loss and trials, they get it and not just from people who post to that thread but from everyone who reads the thread.

People here are very protective.  

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:55pm by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:07pm

I will be happy to help you in any way John.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:39pm

Count me in to help.  I'll answer what I can.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:05pm

Feel free to PM me.
The chat might be worth a visit too.

Oliver

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:12pm

You're welcome to contact me via PM if you're inclined to do so, John.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 4:00pm

I would love to let people know what we struggle through.  No one except those who suffer from CHs can say they understand.  I have no problem with helping you through this website and messages.  I will answer an questions you have.  Read my intro to find out more about me, New to site not to pain.  The more people that know a real account of what we suffer with the better!!! Count me in!
Huh
River  

River

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Hey, John!  Glad to have you here!

I am an senile old coot, but with a blabber mouth ... I would be happy to talk or chat or whatever with you.

Just let me know what I can do for you!

Chuck

(And don't believe what the others say about me ... NO ONE is THAT kinky or bad!)

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Hi John,
I'm married to a cluster head.  He has been through the mill.....as most all cluster heads have.  Blake isn't one to post but if you want he'll be available...I'll just have to type it for him Smiley

Jackie

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 4:37pm

Memphis John,

I am very exited about your project and would love to help in anyway I can. I cheer for the fact you support your long time friend!

In short:
I'm a Dutch guy rushing towards his 34th birthday with a phantastic supporter in Sonja (pronounce Sonya), with whom I've been together for 5 years now and she's seen 3 of my cycles of each 2 months, the first only months after we've been together. She's a lifesaver.

I've been clusterheaded since my final year in high school, '92/'93, and have suffered throughout college and the military.
In the nineties it seemed like the CH was all over the board, meaning I'd get several cycles anywhere anytime during the year. I didn't get any in the year of 1999 so I actually thought they were over.

Then, from the fall of 2000 I've gotten them in clear cut cycles, every two to two and a half years, 7 to 9 weeks each.
Only untill my last cycle this year, I started reaching out and found the wonderful people here. Finally I wasn't alone anymore in this horrible affliction, which influences so much in your life.

If there's anything you want to know, feel free to PM me.

Greetings, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 5:10pm

i would be more than willing to share what impact ch and this board has had on my life, pm or e-mail is fine.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:38pm

Fair dinkum, I never realised I was part of a sub-culture.  Is that legal nowadays?  Perhaps any messages should be coded and passed through a third party because, unlike Chuckles, I have a reputation to protect.

Just to answer your main question though, John, our little family here at ch.com means I'm no longer alone and for that I thank DJ sincerely.

Feel free to PM me,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #20 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:33pm

Feel free to contact me. I'd give up all the dirt on Chuck. But he'll beat me to it.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #21 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:14pm

Quote:
Reply #4 - Today at 9:10am     I'll answer any questions via email I feel comfortable with.

Bill

me too.   However....if you stick around here long enough to read what is posted here.  You'll get a VERY good idea of what anyone here will say.   Yes, indeed.   Read what Gator posted.  It is a VERY good representation of what the majority feel.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #22 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:10am

Count me in.  More than happy to get involved.

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:26am

Chuck left his volunteerism open to almost anything.  Everybody duck!!!!     Grin

But sure, I'll tell you how dark life is when in cycle

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Memphis John
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:24am

I almost hate to bump this thread since there are people with cluster-specific questions posting, but I had to say thanks for the overwhelmingly positive response.  I won't get to post much during the week unless a class gets cancelled (like today), but I think the most important thing right now is reading and learning, and I can tell I've got a lot to learn.  I'll be in touch with those that have offered, and like I said, I'll be checking in as things progress.  It looks like y'all have a great group here, and I think it's wonderful that DJ has given you a place to find each other.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!